Bad Rollover On Heartattack Hill: Anza Borrego

We've all made our mistakes when on the trail. Here's where you fess up to it and share those mistakes with us. It happens to all of us. Don't be shy.
Forum rules
If you've made that mistake or had a nasty breakdown, share it with us here. Tell us how you got into and out of your fiasco so maybe the rest of us can learn from your mistakes. It's happened to all of us. Don't be shy. :)
User avatar
Voodoo Blue 57
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:41 pm
Call Sign: W6PET
Location: Southern California

Re: Bad Rollover On Heartattack Hill: Anza Borrego

#11

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:44 pm

That's heart wrenching to see and I hope that her injuries are not serious.

I know we have our opinions on the spotter and the drivers abilities based on what we see but I feel for all the parties involved. I can see the conversation the driver had before the run: Something like: Are you sure I can do this (especially if she is new to off-roading) is this safe, am I going to be ok or something to that effect. Her group all probably reassured her that she would be fine and they would make sure she was ok. Some probably told her they had been down it before and it was not as difficult as it sounds. Now all the parties involved including the spotter have this accident and the repercussions to live with. I can only imagine how they must feel and then to see it played over and over on the web....thats got to be tough.

As for the Sheriff's team....hats off to them for all the hard work, dedication and sometimes putting their own lives at risk to save others.
Phil T.
W6PET


“None of Nature’s landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild."

John Muir

User avatar
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Posts: 2693
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:31 am
Call Sign: K6JYB
Location: Sweet Home Alabama!!!

Re: Bad Rollover On Heartattack Hill: Anza Borrego

#12

Post by OLLIE » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:19 am

Voodoo Blue 57 wrote:That's heart wrenching to see and I hope that her injuries are not serious.

I know we have our opinions on the spotter and the drivers abilities based on what we see but I feel for all the parties involved. I can see the conversation the driver had before the run: Something like: Are you sure I can do this (especially if she is new to off-roading) is this safe, am I going to be ok or something to that effect. Her group all probably reassured her that she would be fine and they would make sure she was ok. Some probably told her they had been down it before and it was not as difficult as it sounds. Now all the parties involved including the spotter have this accident and the repercussions to live with. I can only imagine how they must feel and then to see it played over and over on the web....thats got to be tough.

As for the Sheriff's team....hats off to them for all the hard work, dedication and sometimes putting their own lives at risk to save others.
I agree with all your comments here. Having been there in a similar circumstance, it really sucks to see how this gets made to look across the internet and the bashing one gets :? .
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)


APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)


http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan


CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

User avatar
BorregoWrangler
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 6:53 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (El Cajon)
Contact:

Re: Bad Rollover On Heartattack Hill: Anza Borrego

#13

Post by BorregoWrangler » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:40 pm

OLLIE wrote:I agree with all your comments here. Having been there in a similar circumstance, it really sucks to see how this gets made to look across the internet and the bashing one gets :? .
So true.

But don't worry Ollie, I think you redeemed yourself with those impressive driving skills when we went up Cliffhanger Trail! :o ;)
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

User avatar
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Posts: 2693
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:31 am
Call Sign: K6JYB
Location: Sweet Home Alabama!!!

Re: Bad Rollover On Heartattack Hill: Anza Borrego

#14

Post by OLLIE » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:21 pm

BorregoWrangler wrote:
OLLIE wrote:I agree with all your comments here. Having been there in a similar circumstance, it really sucks to see how this gets made to look across the internet and the bashing one gets :? .
So true.

But don't worry Ollie, I think you redeemed yourself with those impressive driving skills when we went up Cliffhanger Trail! :o ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: I wasn't referring to that incident, no spotters where involved, but thanks for the kudos. I was referring to a roll over I witnessed a few years ago that has gotten a lot of criticism. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)


APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)


http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan


CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Post Reply

Return to “TRAIL BLUNDERS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest