Instant Karma blunder

We've all made our mistakes when on the trail. Here's where you fess up to it and share those mistakes with us. It happens to all of us. Don't be shy.
Forum rules
If you've made that mistake or had a nasty breakdown, share it with us here. Tell us how you got into and out of your fiasco so maybe the rest of us can learn from your mistakes. It's happened to all of us. Don't be shy. :)
WA4DQS
Call Sign: WA4DQS

Instant Karma blunder

Post by WA4DQS » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:01 pm

In the 1990s my old skydiving and flying club were harassed by a bunch of desert ravers on the dry lake bed we were camped on for the night. They were speeding in a truck, under the influence of who-knows-what, well over 80-90mph past our site, at dark, then would drive into our camp, honk their horn, flash their lights, shout obscenities, speed off, sometimes coming dangerously close to our tents. Then suddenly the antics just stopped. We figured they just went back to their camp. We woke up the next morning and saw these jokers had actually high-centered their little truck on a mound hardly 30 yards from our camp. They had spent the entire night there, sleeping off their hangovers in the truck, too afraid to come ask us for help.

The one guy in our group with a 4x4 paid them a visit, told them that if they came into camp and apologized to us all, he'd tow them out. They refused, and instead dug their truck out a couple hours later while we watched & waited (hoping to flag down a ranger and report them before they got away).
John, WA4DQS
My rig: Five speeds, four wheels, three radios, two seats, one nut.

BorregoWrangler

Re: Instant Karma blunder

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks for the story. Its lame that you guys had to deal with a bunch of drunken yahoos our there, but it looks like they got what was coming to them. I'm happy that most of the people I've come across in the backcountry have been pretty cool.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:48 pm

I can't believe DaveK still hasn't apologized to you guys for that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:47 am

I run into jokers like this at least once a year. I often have my son with me now. I have yet to have this happen when he is with me but I don't think I'd have been as patient with them if he was. It's one thing to be in a dangerous situation like this when it's just you but add the family factor and that's the type of thing that makes the spouses not want to let you take the kids with you. :evil:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

WA4DQS
Call Sign: WA4DQS

Post by WA4DQS » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:54 am

OLLIE wrote:I have yet to have this happen when he is with me but I don't think I'd have been as patient with them if he was.
One guy in our group was on the verge of firing a warning shot, with his shotgun, in the air.

The day before, the Rangers warned us about the Rave across the lake bed. Odd, you'd think they'd not allow it. But they said the permits were in place. Ok, I guess you can get permits for drunken, drugged-up Raves :?: And then there's the time the Rangers dropped in on our site and asked why we did not have a fire permit. (on a dry lake bed...) Oh the irony.
John, WA4DQS
My rig: Five speeds, four wheels, three radios, two seats, one nut.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:48 am

WA4DQS wrote:
OLLIE wrote:I have yet to have this happen when he is with me but I don't think I'd have been as patient with them if he was.
One guy in our group was on the verge of firing a warning shot, with his shotgun, in the air.

The day before, the Rangers warned us about the Rave across the lake bed. Odd, you'd think they'd not allow it. But they said the permits were in place. Ok, I guess you can get permits for drunken, drugged-up Raves :?: And then there's the time the Rangers dropped in on our site and asked why we did not have a fire permit. (on a dry lake bed...) Oh the irony.
I don't condone drunken, rude behavior, but the permit was for the rave, not for the bad behavior. And firing a warning shot into the air would have been an irresponsible act as well, IMO, and likely exaserbated the situation, not quelled it. Two wrongs make a right ??? Rangers have to enforce the laws equally, and a permit is a permit. And, historically, a runaway fire will cause substantially more damage to life and property than a runaway rave party. ;)
Bsides, those idiots got to work off their hangover in fine fashion... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:06 am

cruiserlarry wrote:historically, a runaway fire will cause substantially more damage to life and property than a runaway rave party. ;)
Bsides, those idiots got to work off their hangover in fine fashion... :mrgreen:

Runaway dry lakebed fires, eh? What burns? :roll:
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:20 pm

You could've strategically "sprinkled" a few of these around the campsite that night. :twisted:
http://www.defensedevices.com/caltrops.html
Randy
K6ARW

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:46 pm

xtatik wrote:You could've strategically "sprinkled" a few of these around the campsite that night. :twisted:
http://www.defensedevices.com/caltrops.html
Nice! What you have to do is setup some sort of compartment in the rear of your vehicle that holds a bunch of these that can be released by a switch from inside the cab. That'll take care of anyone chasing you- cops, drunken yahoos, etc. :lol:
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:42 am

WA4DQS wrote:The day before, the Rangers warned us about the Rave across the lake bed. Odd, you'd think they'd not allow it. But they said the permits were in place. Ok, I guess you can get permits for drunken, drugged-up Raves :?:
Most of the time, security for these "events" is handled by off duty cops. That is how they get away with it (the behavior, and the drugs).
Chazz Laynedotcom

Return to “TRAIL BLUNDERS”