Rolled Ranger

We've all made our mistakes when on the trail. Here's where you fess up to it and share those mistakes with us. It happens to all of us. Don't be shy.
Forum rules
If you've made that mistake or had a nasty breakdown, share it with us here. Tell us how you got into and out of your fiasco so maybe the rest of us can learn from your mistakes. It's happened to all of us. Don't be shy. :)
Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Rolled Ranger

Post by Chazz Layne » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:04 pm

So, back in July during a routine run from Prescott to Kingman to get the last of our stuff, we rolled the Ranger. Fortunately, no one was hurt, and no property was damaged (except for the Ranger). We'd been cruising up the scenic route with friends, since they were also headed north, and traveling on good wide road when Dani lost control coming around a turn.
OLLIE wrote:Without pics it didn't happen!!! :lol:

The Ranger was still quite drivable, and we continued to use it for a couple weeks until insurance sent a truck to come get it. Apparently, if you roll, they total it by default regardless of actual damage. While we could have bought it back for $2000 (or rather, $2000 less paid to us), I have too many projects as is and not enough time to part it out or rebuild it - so RIP Ranger, after 10 excellent years and 100,000 wonderful miles you will be missed.

Aftermath:

Image Image Image

I haven't had a chance to write up the short article on preparedness this incident has prompted, but I will go over a few points that were brought up - some good, some bad. While this happened on a very easy road with good access, it was also remote. The closest medical help would have been nearly an hour by air, 2-3 hours by road. A walk to the nearest "services" (Seligman) would have taken about 4 hours... assuming no injuries and an adequate supply of water/food. Even then, Seligman is little more than a truck stop. The nearest city of any significant size was Kingman, over 80 miles away.
  • Have an HT, and a good directional antenna (like the Elk). While we were traveling with another vehicle, at the speed we were moving the other vehicle had already moved around the next turn and over a hill before the wreck happened. As this was a rollover, the mobile radio in the truck was completely useless (75 watts is only as powerful as your antenna). Fortunately, I did have my VX-8R, with which I was able to reach the other vehicle and call them back. I have no doubt with the Elk onboard I could have reached a repeater to call for help if need be (like when traveling solo).

External antenna and a car charger for that HT. With the mobile down, it was great being able to keep using the HT once we were back on the road. The charger would have been important if we'd been stuck for a long time.

First aid kit. We failed this one. I had no kit onboard at all in the Ranger. Luckily, neither of us were injured.

Ditch kit. Again, we failed this one. My ditch kit that I "always" carry was sitting safely at home in the Discovery. If we had been forced to walk out it would have been a long, thirsty, and hungry 4 hours.

Have the ability to reseat a bead. After we pulled the truck back onto the road and inspected it, the only thing keeping us from driving out was the bead that had been blown on impact. The wheel was still straight, so rather than bother with the spare, all we had to do was reseat it and fill it back up. It was convenient having that ability with one blown bead, it would have been mandatory if we had blown 2.

HiLift Jack. Without it, we would have been unable to straighten the doors enough to close them, and unable to safely complete the remaining 80+ miles to Kingman. This also saved us the cost of having to tow an otherwise fully functional vehicle that same distance.
Chazz Laynedotcom

BorregoWrangler

Re: Rolled Ranger

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Glad no one was hurt. Good article on being prepared.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Post by salad_man » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Glad you guys are ok, any replacement vehicles in mind?
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Glad to see you and Dani are OK...

Regarding having a an external antenna and a charger for your HT - make sure it is stowed so it doesn't become damaged in an accident. As for the charger good idea; take it even further - ditch the free liquid battery the car uses and invest in an AGM gelled battery, so if you roll, the battery is still functional for radio power / charging. Virtually every rollover I've been involved with ended with a useless battery due to acid leakage, something that won't happen with a AGM battery (Odyssey / Optima).
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Shucks...........now you'll have to buy that new Raptor.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Now that I've seen pics I guess it really happened. :lol:

Glad everything turned out ok minus the totalled vehicle. Great points you made on preparedness.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Chazz Layne

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:42 pm

salad_man wrote:Glad you guys are ok, any replacement vehicles in mind?
Not sure yet, we've thrown around just about everything from a milsurp Chevy Diesel, to an early '00 Ranger/Taco, to just getting myself a KLR650. Whatever it ends up being, I'm sure all wheels will be drive wheels... :)
Chazz Laynedotcom

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Post by salad_man » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Chazz Layne wrote:
salad_man wrote:Glad you guys are ok, any replacement vehicles in mind?
Not sure yet, we've thrown around just about everything from a milsurp Chevy Diesel, to an early '00 Ranger/Taco, to just getting myself a KLR650. Whatever it ends up being, I'm sure all wheels will be drive wheels... :)

Good good, you'll have to keep us posted
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

Chazz Layne

Post by Chazz Layne » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:07 pm

The replacement, an attempt at reducing the redundancy between our purpose-built vehicles, is finally up and running:

2003 Subaru Forester 2.5X
- Freshly rebuilt EJ25 naturally aspirated motor (hit mile 100 today)
- 35mm King Springs lift
- roof storage completely replaced with Yakima hardware

Otherwise it's bone stock, with many mods in the works (including skids, extended camping comforts, and performance upgrades). The ultimate goal is a fast, light, and efficient long-weekend exploration platform designed more around what lies away from the vehicle (rather than on or in it).
Chazz Laynedotcom

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:48 am

Will the 2.5 be making an appearance at BF this year?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “TRAIL BLUNDERS”