2009 BorregoFest Potluck and Recipe Sharing Report

OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

2009 BorregoFest Potluck and Recipe Sharing Report

Post by OLLIE » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Post up how the potluck was and if you have recipes you may want from the awesome eats we had.

K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Call Sign: KD6NJF

Re: 2009 BorregoFest Potluck and Recipe Sharing Report

Post by CRUISERDUDE » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:54 pm

For those that liked the carne asada I BBQ'ed (in the big blue pan, along with tortillas, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, green onion, and mild & hot salsas), I got it (pre-marinated) at:

El Tarasco Meat Market
8161 Foothill Blvd.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

IMHO, this is the best carne asada we've found...not cheap -- almost $5/lb. -- but worth it (IMO). I know it went pretty quickly, so I hope enough people had a chance to sample it!

There was ALOT of food out there -- don't think I actually saw all of it! Unfortunately, missed the wheat berry/feta salad -- would have liked to have tried that one! ABSOLUTELY **LOVED** the Mexican S'mores!! In any case, though, I had all I could comfortably eat....thanks, everyone!

Lory Jefferson aka CruiserDude
Last edited by CRUISERDUDE on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by sdnative » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:24 pm

That Carne Asada was fantastic!

There were some cranberry and wheat crackers with some kind of pepper jelly that Jesse brought (I think) that made a lasting impression. Can you give us the details on this?

In general, everything I sampled was great.

Oh, and those deep fried smores. Wow, just wow.

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:28 am

sdnative wrote:...that Jesse brought...
Jesse wrote:Whole Foods
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll post up the fried s'mores recepie as soon as I get the home-made tortilla recepie from Dani (the key to making it all work).

Dutch oven cooking:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Chazz Laynedotcom

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Homemade Tortillas: (we made them about 5" for the s'more wrappers)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... 0?id=13590

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon salt

In a bowl blend the flour and the shortening until the mixture resembles fine meal. In a small bowl stir together the salt and 2/3 cup warm water, add the salted water to the flour mixture, and toss the mixture until the liquid is incorporated. Form the dough into a ball and knead it on a lightly floured surface for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it is smooth. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces (or 4 equal pieces for 10-inch tortillas), form each piece into a ball, and let the dough stand, covered with plastic wrap, for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour. Heat a griddle over moderately high heat until it is hot, on a lightly floured surface roll 1 of the balls of dough into a 7- or 10-inch round, and on the griddle cook the tortilla, turning it once, for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until it is puffy and golden on both sides. Wrap the tortilla in a kitchen towel and make tortillas with the remaining dough in the same manner, stacking and enclosing them in the towel as they are done. The tortillas may be made 1 day in advance and kept chilled in a plastic bag.

Mexican S'mores:

The original recipe for these came from Overland Journal, Spring 2009

Our variation on it went something like this:

slightly-cooked 5" homemade tortillas (substitute: 8-10" store bought, cut in half, slightly heated to make flexible)
Hershey's special dark
powdered sugar
wooden tooth picks
marshmellows (optional, I prefer them without)

Most of the prep can be done in advance of a trip so that all you have to do at camp is fry and cover in powdered sugar & cinnamon. The advantage with the homemade tortillas is that they mold to the correct shape MUCH easier, and are less likely to burst open.

Place 2 sections of dark chocolate bar back-to-back (eliminates sharp edges which cut tortillas) about 1.5" from the near edge of the tortilla. Add marshmellows if desired (4 of the mini-marshmellows work well), or use raspberries, bananas, etc. Add ample cinnamon - it might seem strange, but it is actually nearly impossible to add to much cinnamon. Wrap burrito style (carefully, tortilla is fragile), that is fold near edge over the filling, fold the sides in, then roll up. When rolled up run a single wooden toothpick through near the edge to hold it tight (important when it comes time to fry, this is why I had to stand there with the tongs in the oil... I forgot toothpicks :lol: ).

Heat oil in a deep pan, you'll want at least 2" deep oil (3" is easier). I have been told 350* is the optimum temperature for this... you want it just hot enough to crisp a tortilla in about 10 seconds, too hot and it will burn the tortilla before it melts the inside. Drop assembled s'mores into oil and crisp to a golden brown. Remove and allow to drain on a paper towel for a few seconds, then promptly sprinkle powdered sugar & cinnamon on them (you want the sugar to melt and stick). We found dropping them in a small container filled with sugar/cinnamon and shaking them made this step a lot easier.

Let them cool up to 5 minutes (they don't cool very fast), slide out the toothpick, and enjoy.

Future project: attempt a breakfast meal in the same manner done with sausage, egg, cheese, hot sauce, etc...
Chazz Laynedotcom

Return to “2009 BorregoFest Event Reports”