2009 BorregoFest General Discussion (Wells/Not So Wells)

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: 2009 BorregoFest General Discussion (Wells/Not So Wells)

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:03 pm

I like the movie night idea - you can rent inflatable big screens, like Toyota used at Surf N' Turf a couple of years ago. Maybe it could be delivered to the campground.

I also like the idea of a separate grand prize that folks could buy lots of raffle tickets if they desire. I do like limiting the ticket purchases on the main raffle, though - much fairer. As this was the first try at a fee-driven BF, we might consider a little higher fee structure to help raise funds in addition to paying expenses, without depending on the raffle. This, of course, requires the participation of as many members as possible to contribute more than "actual cost", for the benefit of OAUSA's future. I know many here would be willing, while some would need to be convinced of the long-term value.

The cook-off would be great, too - maybe even a dutch oven desert-off :lol:

It was a privilege to be able to donate prizes for the raffle, in order to benefit OAUSA and the members here. I plan to do it again next year, and hope to be joined by other sponsers as the site continues to grow... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:00 pm

Anyone on the board have the final figures for BorregoFest? How many rigs, people attended? Who had the worst vehicle carnage, pretty sure Bruised FJ may have won tha oohps hands down :lol: ;) . Who drove from the furthest to get there and other fun facts?
Image_Image_Image

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:56 pm

gon2srf wrote:Anyone on the board have the final figures for BorregoFest? How many rigs, people attended? Who had the worst vehicle carnage, Bruised FJ may have won the oohps hands down :lol: ;) ) Who drove from the furthest to get there and other fun facts?

I think Mr. Oliver may have these stats.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Arkarch
Call Sign: KF6VOM

Post by Arkarch » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:07 pm

gon2srf wrote:Who drove from the furthest to get there and other fun facts?
Based on prior conversation, furthest drive is probably between Chazz and I depending on route. I am in Las Vegas with a 330 mile drive. I took the Vegas - Kelso - Amboy - 29 Palms - Joshua Tree NP - Salton Sea route - about 6 hours. Should have taken I-15 to Temecula but was feeling adventurous.
2009 VR6 Alaska Gray VW Touareg + BFG 265/70/17's + Air Lift + 1 Locker
2006 V6 Colorado Red VW Touareg (Retired)
Images - http://picasaweb.google.com/KF6VOM

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:13 am

FINAL STATS:
Trucks = 34
People = 72 (Including children)

CARNAGE REPORT:
BruisedFJ = One rear window hatch. (Sort of trail related)

Frogeye - One scratched and dented passenger front fender and one dented passenger rear quarter panel. (Definitely trail related)

Cruiserdude's Son's Taco = Pretty much the same type of damage as Frogeye's.

Both Frogeye's damage and the Taco's damage were sustained in the same hill climb in Truckhaven.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:59 am

Arkarch wrote:
gon2srf wrote:Who drove from the furthest to get there and other fun facts?
Based on prior conversation, furthest drive is probably between Chazz and I depending on route. I am in Las Vegas with a 330 mile drive. I took the Vegas - Kelso - Amboy - 29 Palms - Joshua Tree NP - Salton Sea route - about 6 hours. Should have taken I-15 to Temecula but was feeling adventurous.
You win, I cheated and only did the Joshua Tree > Salton Sea part of the trip as I was already there. :mrgreen:
Chazz Laynedotcom

BruisedFJ
Call Sign: KV6WTF

Post by BruisedFJ » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:44 pm

BorregoWrangler wrote:
bruisedFJ wrote:Hey, that checklist of all the things we need to be prepared for - how about adding "spare key outside of the vehicle" :lol:
What? You don't need to do that. There's always plenty of rocks out in the desert! :lol:
John, I actually want to affix a rock to my vehicle somewhere, and paint on it: Spare Key. At the same time, I do currently have a hide a key in place.

Raffle Tickets:
Here's an idea from a numbers guy, and I think this idea strikes a balance between raising $ while still addressing the fairness issue.
1st ticket $5
2nd ticket $10
3rd ticket $15
4th ticket $20
So if you bought 4 tickets, it would cost you $50. If someone wants to up their chances in the raffle by buying a lot of tickets, it will cost them. What do you all think?
Stoddard (Bruised FJ)
KV6WTF

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:51 pm

bruisedFJ wrote:

Raffle Tickets:
Here's an idea from a numbers guy, and I think this idea strikes a balance between raising $ while still addressing the fairness issue.
1st ticket $5
2nd ticket $10
3rd ticket $15
4th ticket $20
So if you bought 4 tickets, it would cost you $50. If someone wants to up their chances in the raffle by buying a lot of tickets, it will cost them. What do you all think?
I like it - the better you want your odds of winning to be, the more you'll pay per ticket. Also helps out OAUSA more, which is the point of raising funds at the events. ;)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:40 pm

bruisedFJ wrote:
BorregoWrangler wrote:
bruisedFJ wrote:Hey, that checklist of all the things we need to be prepared for - how about adding "spare key outside of the vehicle" :lol:
What? You don't need to do that. There's always plenty of rocks out in the desert! :lol:
John, I actually want to affix a rock to my vehicle somewhere, and paint on it: Spare Key. At the same time, I do currently have a hide a key in place.

Raffle Tickets:
1st ticket $5
2nd ticket $10
3rd ticket $15
4th ticket $20

Just get an old Jeep with no locks. Problem solved! :lol:

I like your idea for the raffle tickets, too.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:42 pm

bruisedFJ wrote: Raffle Tickets:
1st ticket $5
2nd ticket $10
3rd ticket $15
4th ticket $20
I like it. :D
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “2009 BorregoFest Event Reports”