2009 BorregoFest (Rodriguez Canyon) Night Run Report

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

2009 BorregoFest (Rodriguez Canyon) Night Run Report

Post by OLLIE » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:46 pm

Share photos and tell us how the run went.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: 2009 BorregoFest (Rodriguez Canyon) Night Run Report

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:01 pm

Well, Ollie, what can I say ?!

The night run was fantastic !!! Rodriguez Canyon was beautiful under the nighttime sky, and we had a great group of folks running 12 rigs down the trail.

This was the first time I'd seen Karl's Touraeg in action, and he's got some big cajones, IMO, getting that rig through the tough spots on the trail.

We got to observe the off-road finesse of the 2WD FJ Cruiser, as it muscled through the trail without an issue. And, of course, we all watched as Sunnygrill's TJ focused 5 billion candlepower on the back of your FJ...Did you check your paint ??? :lol:

And, lest I forget, Frogeye's wonderful tune choices kept us all entertained as we meandered our way along the trail and back to camp...

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures :(

Thanks for leading, spotting , and picking the trail run for Saturday night. :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Arkarch
Call Sign: KF6VOM

Post by Arkarch » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:01 am

Rodriguez Canyon at Night - what else to say?

Heh, CruiserLarry... love pushing the Touareg... Got to say everyone was amazing out there in the parade of lights.

Though I have run Oriflamme Canyon, I had not run neighboring Rodriguez before day or night no idea what expect. It was also my first true night run. I suppose not having additional lights was a good thing :)

When we ran up on the rock hill, I got out to check the line on up... I had just switched antennas from CB back to HAM on the single mount during the air-down and had been nudging the wad of radio cables behind my seat to get on the air - so thats why I didnt immediately call for a spot. But Ollie and another offroader (name escapes me) provided a wonderful line on up the slide. Once I parked uphill, I got back to take some photos of our group.

We had another substantial rock area further up with a workaround that Ollie checked out before we proceeded throught that narrow brush spot. The gunshots and parked truck further up the hill added to the surreal nature of the night.

Thanks everyone for the help! That was fun.

2009 VR6 Alaska Gray VW Touareg + BFG 265/70/17's + Air Lift + 1 Locker
2006 V6 Colorado Red VW Touareg (Retired)
Images - http://picasaweb.google.com/KF6VOM

Frogeye
Call Sign: KI6LHP

Post by Frogeye » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:01 am

The night run was very fun indeed. I didn't take any photos but I did see someone with a video camera so maybe they will post up something. Great job Karl! Great job to the 2wd FJ too. Also, for a noobie Romaine did awesome! It's always fun to bust out the "snoopfrog" tunes. I love making you guys laugh. Thanks Ollie! :mrgreen:
Chris

1slickfj

Post by 1slickfj » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:24 pm

Rodriguez Canyon night run was super fun! Thanks to everyone for a great time, and especially to Olly For helping me get off that rock.... ;) This run would likely be a really good one in daylight, but at night... awesome.

Return to “2009 BorregoFest Event Reports”