50th annual Tierra Del Sol - March 2-4 2012

Post up and discuss any outdoor adventure or Amateur Radio related events
Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

50th annual Tierra Del Sol - March 2-4 2012

Post by Crismateski » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Well there has been some talk on ExpeditionPortal about TDS, (http://www.tds4x4.com) and I thought I would post some of the information here since many people are part of both groups

so far, we have decided that we should come up with a spot to meet since finding anyone in that crowed will be difficult. Maybe somewhere on the outskirts so it is not as crowded. Someone is going to try and scout a spot on Presidents day weekend, but suggestions are always welcome.

146.535 was suggested as a simplex to use to find the group once we are in the area

So far it looks like there will be a good showing from Expo, and I think it would be great if we could get a group out there with them. I will update this thread when there is something to update, and am hoping to get input from here as well.
Quote:
Another piece of info: The trail crew uses simplex 147.480 for trail comms. If you have trouble on the trail and need help, see someone else who does, or see a significant problem (rollover, injury, someone broken and blocking the trail), call. There are two control operators (one at a checkpoint on the trail (me) and one at HQ) who will take the info and get you help. Club call sign is KJ6TDS. Please only use this freq. for emergencies.

I know my wife and I are planning on going, hopefully with a new to us trailer
Cris
Last edited by Crismateski on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

Crismateski

Re: 50th annual Tierra Del Sol - March 2-4 2012

Post by Crismateski » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Just a bump since it was just talked about on the net

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks, Cris. I forgot that you had already posted this.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Post by taugust » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Since Dave keeps asking me to post, and Cris started this thread, I thought I would post the semi-official info to avoid creating another thread.

Tierra del Sol 4WD Club of San Diego is hosting its 50th Annual Desert Safari on March 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, 2012. The location is adjacent to the new 4x4 Training area in the north hills of the Ocotillo Wells SVRA. This is about 23 miles east of Borrego Springs, or 3 miles west of Salton City, just off Hwy S-22. GPS coordinates for the headquarters area are: N 33 15.691 W 116 00.857.

Registration opens at 1 p.m. on Friday, with vendors and safety check-in continuing until 10 p.m. On Saturday, registration opens at 6:30 a.m. The main trail run starts promptly at 8 a.m. and continues throughout the day.

Pre-Registration is $50 ($52 online) and $60 on-site. Online registration is encouraged and can be found (along with additional info) at http://www.tds4x4.com. Your registration gets you admission to the event and the trail run, a souvenir program, and one ticket to the famous drawing on Saturday evening. The only way to get more tickets for this drawing is to register more than once. There are usually 70+ prize packages in this drawing, valued at $1,000+, with many over $2,000. The current value of the donated prizes for this is approaching $160,000. There will be a large fireworks show after the drawing, so stick around for this spectacular show. There also will be several surprises to impress.

There will be several bucket raffles for items that you can purchase as many tickets as you wish to increase your chances of winning. These items include: 4 – Goodyear 40×17 MTR Kevlar tires, valued at $2000.00, 4 – BFG 37×12.50×17 Krawler tires, valued at $2000.00, 1 – DynaTrac Unlimited Front 44 Axle Housing, valued at $2145.00, 1 – Premier Power Welder, valued at $1200.00, 1 – Superwinch Talon 98 race winch, valued at $1585.00, and 1 – Olympic Dave’s Rack, valued at $1295.00.

This is a family event, with activities for kids, including a climbing wall and bounce house, and gifts for the kids. There will be several food vendors on-site, so you don't have to cook if you don't want to.

Proceeds from the event are donated to organizations that fight to keep land accessible to recreation, and to selected charities.

There will also be a rough run and an SUV run on Sunday.

Come out and join us for a fun weekend in the desert.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:09 am

I have family heading out there for this. I might cruise out there on Saturday.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

ralphie
Call Sign: KI6VTJ

Post by ralphie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:29 pm

willeh and I are also going this year friday thru sunday and this will be my sixth year in a row! so keep an eye out for us representing OAUSA ay TDS!
JUST GO ADVENTUERING!!!
TLCA # 19122
KI6VTJ
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom
must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Frenchie and I will be conducting a Winch Safety Demo on the behalf of Superwinch and International Four Wheel Drive Trainers Association (I4WDTA). It will be at 3pm on Friday March 2 at the TDS event. Join us at the winching area in the new practice area. this is a great chance to brush up on winch safety.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

Crismateski

Post by Crismateski » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:12 am

toms wrote:Frenchie and I will be conducting a Winch Safety Demo on the behalf of Superwinch and International Four Wheel Drive Trainers Association (I4WDTA). It will be at 3pm on Friday March 2 at the TDS event. Join us at the winching area in the new practice area. this is a great chance to brush up on winch safety.

I probably will not make it out there until about 8pm Friday, but this sounds like a great opportunity

Crismateski

Post by Crismateski » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:34 pm

The group I am heading out with is camping at N33 16.752 W116 03.683 It is a group from Expedition Portal, and all are welcome.

Some of the group is doing the organized run, some are just going to hang out and check out the vendors, but all are looking to have a good weekend with Old and New friends.

As far as coms, Laguna repeater (147.150+ PL: 107.2) and simplex 147.510 not every one has their Ham, so we will also use cb 34

My wife and I will be cruising down with my father in law on Friday evening, and as I said, all are welcome

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:40 am

Tom puts on a fantastic winch class and demonstration.

If you can do it, get him to do a demo on pulling a vehicle backward with a front mounted winch! Very impressive.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “GENERAL EVENT INFORMATION (NON-OAUSA)”