Well I did it and it was this groups fault!

Amateur Radio roster and information on how to get licensed and upgraded for ham radio.
Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Well I did it and it was this groups fault!

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:32 pm

I passed the Technician test last night and it was this groups fault. Not really though but you all were an influence, I've wanted to get a license for a long time, in a past career I installed and serviced electronics including ham radios on yachts. Most were installed to non-hams. The owners premise was that they would use any means to get help and would rather be alive to deal with the FCC and pay any fines (won't happen) for using the radio without a license than the alternative.

Now I have to do my part to help stimulate the economy. I'm looking at a Yaesu FT-8800R. I only have to decide where to mount it. I like the idea of putting it under the seat, out of site out of mind, but I'm leaning toward mounting it on the overhead by the mirror because it stays cleaner (less dirt and dust) and it can be removed. I'd like to use it as a base station occasionally. My only concern with it on the overhead is that it can be seen and is an easy target for smash and grab. Decisions....Decisions....Decisions
Phil

"Never lost always exploring"

"National parks are the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst"
Wallace Stegner

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Well I did it and it was this groups fault!

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:04 pm

Congratulations on earning your Technician's ticket !!! Welcome to the world of "I can't beleive how much money I just spent on radio equipment..." :lol:

I think the Yaesu FT 8800R is a terrific radio, but I don't think I would count on using it as a base and a mobile. While it is possible to do, you'll be taking out your seat, undoing and reinstalling cables, pulling off and reinstalling the faceplate, and generally that will get to be a PIA after a while. You can probably pick up a good used radio to keep in the house, and leave the FT-8800R alone in the rig...don't forget you'd need to set up an antenna system for the house that can take advantage of the 4 bands the FT-8800R accesses, which might be overkill for home. I'd consider a more simple 2m or 2m/440 for the house, as that's where 95% of the action is on uhf/vhf anyway...just my 2 cents... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:58 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:Congratulations on earning your Technician's ticket !!! Welcome to the world of "I can't beleive how much money I just spent on radio equipment..." :lol:

I think the Yaesu FT 8800R is a terrific radio, but I don't think I would count on using it as a base and a mobile. While it is possible to do, you'll be taking out your seat, undoing and reinstalling cables, pulling off and reinstalling the faceplate, and generally that will get to be a PIA after a while. You can probably pick up a good used radio to keep in the house, and leave the FT-8800R alone in the rig...don't forget you'd need to set up an antenna system for the house that can take advantage of the 4 bands the FT-8800R accesses, which might be overkill for home. I'd consider a more simple 2m or 2m/440 for the house, as that's where 95% of the action is on uhf/vhf anyway...just my 2 cents... :mrgreen:

The 8800 is a dual band radio. You are probably thinking of the 8900. In either case, I second the "terrific radio" comment by Larry. For a first radio (or even as a second radio) it is one of the best. Tough, rugged, reliable and relatively easy to operate. One of the advantages of buying a very popular radio is that there are a lot of guys here on the net who are familiar with that rig and who can help answer questions as you start your learning curve.

Congratulations on getting your ticket. Join us on the Net!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:27 pm

DaveK wrote:
cruiserlarry wrote:4 bands the FT-8800R accesses

The 8800 is a dual band radio. You are probably thinking of the 8900.
My bad - your are absolutely correct, I was thinking about the FT-8900R...but the issues with removal and re-installation into the vehicle are still the same, IMO...I'd consider using 2 separate radios....
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Congrats and you're welcome! :mrgreen:
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

Frogeye
Call Sign: KI6LHP

Post by Frogeye » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:32 pm

Hey congrats! :ugeek:
Chris

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:40 pm

Thanks for all the Congrats. I'm looking forward to talking to some of you on the air.
Phil

"Never lost always exploring"

"National parks are the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst"
Wallace Stegner

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:29 pm

I know it's late in the coming but congrats. At least we can influence some people. :lol:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Post by brentbba » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:11 am

Another late congrats! I just finished installing my second Yaesu FT-8800R. I've had one in the Landcruiser and missed one in my commuter car (Miata). Finally saved enough pennies (love Larry's comment re: I can't believe I just spent that much money on radio equipment! :lol: ) to get a second one. I agree totally with his comment about using it as a base station as well. If you've got the base unit hidden well, it really would be a PITA to take it out, put it in, etc. That being said, there is one guy on the MUD board that does it. He's got a quick disconnect put in on his power cord to make things easier.

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO LICENSING AND UPGRADES”