San Diego Area Classes

Amateur Radio roster and information on how to get licensed and upgraded for ham radio.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

San Diego Area Classes

Post by OLLIE » Sun May 11, 2008 8:38 am

I have a friend that (I believe he's about to become the area ARRL Section President) that sets up and conducts licensing classes around the San Diego area. The classes are generally free, to include the food and drink throughout the day, and you anly have to pay $5 for the test. I'll post up when the next class comes available. I heard through the grapevine that there is a General Class test coming up in June. I may be attending since study time is lmited and I want my General before July. :geek:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

BigDave
Call Sign: KI6LYZ

Re: San Diego Area Classes

Post by BigDave » Sun May 11, 2008 10:09 pm

I am interested in the General class. Please do keep us posted.

Thanks Ollie!!
Dave

KI6LYZ

"Shootin' trucks and snortin' dust"

THATSALEXUS?

Post by THATSALEXUS? » Fri May 30, 2008 7:52 pm

Do you think there is any possibility of getting certified prior to my running the Rubicon on 6-17? It appears that almost all of the NorCal guys have gone to Ham radio exclusively. I've been interested in getting my license for quite a while but I'm starting to feel a little cattle prod at my backside :mrgreen: If so, what do I need to do? Buy a book,take practice tests and schedule a test date?

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Fri May 30, 2008 11:12 pm

Lexus:

That might be cutting it a bit short. It could be done. You would need to immediately get one of Gordon West's tech books (HRO) and start taking as many on line tests as you can. Several per day until you get past 80%. Tests are always being offered in most areas but the biggest problem is that even if you passed the test tomorrow, you would have to wait to legally transmit until you are officially given your call sign and that can take a week or so. If you retain info well,its worth a try. Post questions here and there are more than enough guys that can help. Good luck.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

THATSALEXUS?

Post by THATSALEXUS? » Sat May 31, 2008 12:47 pm

Went down and bought the Gordon West book this morning :mrgreen:

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Sat May 31, 2008 4:46 pm

Go to http://www.hamelmer.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There's a link there to a practice test you can download that's a really good study tool. You can mark the questions you miss and review them. I did nothing but take the practice tests and review the questions I missed. The questions on the practice tests are worded exactly like the real thing. Got 100% on my technician test.
Rotsa ruck! :mrgreen:
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

FunJunkie

Post by FunJunkie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:05 pm

BlueFJ wrote:Go to http://www.hamelmer.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There's a link there to a practice test you can download that's a really good study tool. You can mark the questions you miss and review them. I did nothing but take the practice tests and review the questions I missed. The questions on the practice tests are worded exactly like the real thing. Got 100% on my technician test.
Rotsa ruck! :mrgreen:
Thank you for that site! I like that it remembers the Q's you get wrong and askes them again later. Not just fully random. good tool definitly!! :D

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:13 pm

FunJunkie wrote:
Thank you for that site! I like that it remembers the Q's you get wrong and askes them again later. Not just fully random. good tool definitly!! :D
My pleasure! I actually enjoyed using the practice tests to study for my license!
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO LICENSING AND UPGRADES”