OAUSA HAM LICENSE TESTING RECCOMENDATIONS

Amateur Radio roster and information on how to get licensed and upgraded for ham radio.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

OAUSA HAM LICENSE TESTING RECCOMENDATIONS

Post by DaveK » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:42 pm

(Thanks to Hector, KE6VRL)

You have worked hard on studying for your FCC Amateur Radio License. Here is what we need to take the next step into the world of Amateur Radio.

Most of our testing sessions will be at remote locations; we may not have the facilities to research or create copies of FCC required documentation. Therefore it is very important to bring the items and documents requested in this message.

Several days before the test session please go on-line and register for your FCC FRN (FCC Registration Number). The FCC will require either an FRN or Social Security Number in order to process your license application. While we can process your application with your Social Security number, we would prefer not to do so, due to the sensitive nature of those 9 numbers.

It is easy to obtain your FRN is via the FCC website https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do then click on the yellow “Register” button and fill in the requested information.

All License Candidates please bring:

A legal photo identification card or 2 of the following Non-photo ID/driver's license; Social Security Card; Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal); Minor’s work permit, school report card, school ID card or library card; Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; Postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on the Form 605.

Your FCC assigned FRN number or Social Security Number.

$15.00 cash for your testing fees. Please provide exact change.

A blue or black ink pen and a pencil or two for taking the exams.

If you wish, you may use calculator. If it is a programmable you must demonstrate that the memories have been cleared.

All License Upgrade Candidates bring the above listed items as well as:

If you are currently licensed, bring an original and photocopy of your Amateur Radio license or you may also print out a reference copy from the FCC Universal Licensing Service website. http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSear ... icense.jsp

FOR UPGRADING EXISTING AMATEUR LICENSES: For existing licensees seeking upgrades your FCC FRN number will be required instead of Social Security Number. Recent licenses have the FRN printed on them. If you have an older license visit: www.qrz.com , enter your call and click "Detailed Info."

RETEST POLICY: If an applicant does not pass their exam by one or two questions, one retest will be permitted but the $15 test fee is required to be collected again. No retest will be permitted if three or more questions are missed below the minimum passing score.

If you have any unexpired (less than 365 days old) Certificates of Successful Completion of an Exam (CSCE) session that you will be using to apply for an upgrade.(this is not likely since code requirement has been eliminated) please bring an Original and a Photocopy of Certificates of Successful Completion of an Exam (CSCE) that you may be using to apply for an upgrade.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

hmfigueroa

Re: OAUSA Amateur Radio Testing

Post by hmfigueroa » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:23 am

License Exam Preparation Resource

Andy KE4GKP has created an excellent learning series of videos available at http://www.hamwhisperer.com/p/ham-courses.html.

Now these videos are up to date for the Technician Class license exam. The author is updating the series for the new general class license pool.

The series gives good explanations and tips for mastering the study material for the Technician and General Amateur Radio examination pools. But again to avoid any surprises the General class information is presented based on the outdated General pool.

This is a great way to get your feet wet by passing your Technician class license. That will give you all you need for basic trail communications and opens the door to a wide variety of exciting communication and experimentation opportunities.

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:53 am

Excellent resource, thank you for posting that link.
Image_Image_Image

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 am

Dave,

Will there be a ham radio testing session at the meet and greet on March 12th at BPS? I need to renew my license and I thought that it would be a good time to upgrade.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:25 am

NotAMog wrote:Dave,

Will there be a ham radio testing session at the meet and greet on March 12th at BPS? I need to renew my license and I thought that it would be a good time to upgrade.

Yes, there will be Amateur Radio License testing, for all levels, at the Meet & Greet. I trust that this means we will see your HF set-up on the trip?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:49 pm

I am looking forward to assisting with the testing session, and I'm confident we can qualify even more folks for licenses and upgrades than we did at last year's M & G...

Anyone thinking about earning their tech license, or upgrading before Field Day comes around - this testing session is for you :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

michael
Call Sign: KI6JFU

Post by michael » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:01 pm

I'll be there and will be available if you need any Extra VEs (ARRL accredited-KI6JFU).
Time to stop talking about it and just go do it!

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO LICENSING AND UPGRADES”