ExpoPortal group looking for tester

Amateur Radio roster and information on how to get licensed and upgraded for ham radio.
Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:07 pm

A group from the Expedition Portal are trying to set up a small meet and greet on Fiesta Island in San Diego in the near future. Right now it looks like the date will either be August 11 or the 18th. There are some guys that would like to take the test and I was asked to see if OAUSA would be able to help out with that. If so, how many people would they need to have taking the test to justify the effort?
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: ExpoPortal group looking for tester

Post by DaveK » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Cris:

There is not a set number of test takers that we look for. Certainly, the more the better. It is necessary for us to know about how many will test so we have enough materials on hand to give everyone a chance to test.

Once they have set a date certain, let us know and , if possible, we can begin coordinating with our VEs. They may want to keep in mind that we will have two more test sessions this year - one at our Meet & Greet, which will be in San Diego on August 18 and the other at Anza Borrego, at Borrego Fest, on October 21.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:18 am

I did not realize the San Diego M&G was that soon. Is there a location picked? I can just let them know, it seems easier then organizing a second testing session

And as far as testing goes, what would I need to do if I wanted to volunteer to help out?
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:19 am

Crismateski wrote:I did not realize the San Diego M&G was that soon. Is there a location picked? I can just let them know, it seems easier then organizing a second testing session

And as far as testing goes, what would I need to do if I wanted to volunteer to help out?

Cris:

We haven't settled on a location - yet. We can always use help in setting up, if you can make it.

If you are looking to help administer the tests, you will need to upgrade to Extra and then become a VE (Volunteer Examiner).

We will be posting information on the M&G soon.
DaveK
K6DTK

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:36 pm

Only general is needed for VE credentailing. Extra is only needed to administer extra class licensees, or serve as liaison.

Check the threads we have the information there.

Hector

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:58 pm

hmfigueroa wrote:Only general is needed for VE credentailing. Extra is only needed to administer extra class licensees, or serve as liaison.

Check the threads we have the information there.

Hector
The problem with that is that such a VE cannot administer all levels of testing. Since we have no control over who will take the tests, it is best for us to be prepared for all levels.
DaveK
K6DTK

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:41 am

The reverse is if one of the three extras is not available, we cannot do ANY testing at all.

With a pool of volunteer examiners we can at least get people started. Historically most of our candidates have been technician or general. I can get actual numbers if needed.

SP Jon M3
Call Sign: KJ6IRM

Post by SP Jon M3 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:00 am

A quick FYI, a General VE can only administer the Technician test. And I will be available for the SD meet and greet on Aug 18 if you need another VE.
Last edited by SP Jon M3 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon - KJ6IRM
'08 4Runner - Icon suspension, Dual battery, ARB Firdge, Demello sliders, Yaesu FTM-350R and FT-857d

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:09 am

hmfigueroa wrote:The reverse is if one of the three extras is not available, we cannot do ANY testing at all.

With a pool of volunteer examiners we can at least get people started. Historically most of our candidates have been technician or general. I can get actual numbers if needed.

We now have 7 VEs qualified to administer the full range of exams. When we plan for these events, we have the means to make sure that we don't have to face the situation of not being able to test at all. If we only had three such VEs, this might be a different story.

Offering a full range of testing is what we strive to offer to our members and any other organization that seeks our assistance. While historically you are correct, (about most tests being for Tech and General), we have the means to now plan ahead and make sure that we don't exclude any segment of the Ham community for testing.

I don't think it's possible to build a good reputation by excluding or turning away candidates who want to upgrade to Extra, especially when we have the time to plan ahead.

This is not meant to discourage anyone who wants to become a General VE, but I would think that the added flexibility of being able to administer all levels of testing, should appeal to anyone interested in becoming a VE. Cris - it is your call.
DaveK
K6DTK

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:21 am

That was the point of my post. It seemed to discourage becoming a VE unless you were already a general. I think it simply adds emphasis on upgrading your own license class to serve in maximum capability.

There are many functions to be served in a testing session that can be learned as you go through the process.

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO LICENSING AND UPGRADES”