2010-06-26 thru 27: SummerFest Field Day Planning

OAUSA's annual summer outdoor and Ham radio adventure.

Moderator: BorregoWrangler

SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

2010-06-26 thru 27: SummerFest Field Day Planning

Post by SteeevO » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:28 am

I'm super excited to get this years summer fest / field day under way. It's been a few years since I've been able to attend a field day, but I feel that there is no better way to get back into the swing of doing field day annually than to organize it with OAUSA. We're looking at having a great variety of activities that are within the scope of the OAUSA Interests. These include taking part in the ARRL Field Day with a great Amateur radio setup, multiple 4x4 trail runs as well as a exploring a few hiking trails. It going to be a great event, and lots of fun. It's also going to be a great opportunity to meet new people, as well as ask those burning questions you have about ham radio, 4x4, hiking or anything else outdoor related. We'll have more details on the event in the coming weeks regarding the exact camp site we'll be using. Tell your friends about the event and I look forward to seeing everyone there and meeting new faces.
Thank you OAUSA for letting me be such a big part of this event. I'm looking forward to a great time out there.
-Steven

As many know, this weekend has traditionally been reserved for a national event known as "Field Day". For those who may be unfamiliar with Field Day, the following description from the ARRL, is a good introduction:
ARRL Field Day is the most popular on-the-air operating event in amateur radio. On the fourth full weekend in June, tens of thousands of amateur radio operators gather for a public demonstration of our service. Field Day is part educational event, part operating event, part public relations event – and ALL about FUN!

Amateur radio is about knowledge and growth. It is a hobby and service that truly offers “something for everyone.” Amateur Radio embraces both the old and new.

Field Day is truly the time in which we bring amateur radio to Main Street USA. By setting up in parking lots, malls, Emergency Operations Centers, parks and even at home, amateur operators learn skills that will allow them to better serve their communities. Setting up in these public venues gives added public relations value – their friends and neighbors can see and experience the fun and public service capability that their “ham radio” neighbors bring to the community.
Roster:

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Field day?

Post by DaveK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:31 am

All we need is a volunteer to take charge. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:05 am

I'll put it together but who else wants to go?
i don't want to set this all up and be out there alone..lol

it'd be nice to have at least 2 - 3 HF radios out there. and atleast one MASSIVE loop in the trees

I'm willing to bring my IC-746Pro along with coax, tuner, tons of wire and a battery which will probably last for about half of the event.

who else is interested and who else can bring equipment? who can cook? :D and does anyone here work CW?

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:16 am

I have never participated in a field day, but I'm interested. When and where are you considering setting it up ? I'm useless on CW (did 20wpm for my extra years ago, and haven't touched a key since :lol: ), but I've got a Yaesu FT-857D in my rig if that would help....
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 pm

I'm interested for sure... Need to get my Extra before then though. I have the FT-857 in my rig plus the FT-897 and a Dipole set up for up to 80-Meters. I also have the balans and insulators with a boat load of 14 AWG wire to make any type of dipole you want.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:19 pm

How about a remote location field day, like the East Mojave Desert. Nice and warm that time of the year.

Or maybe Kings Canyon/Sequoia?
DaveK
K6DTK

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:05 pm

There are a couple group camps in big bear that might work. We really need a good chunk of space in a good clearing preferably on a peak somewhere. I was originally thinking big bear but i'm open to other suggestions. I just don't want to be surrounded by tall signal blocking peaks... so obiously a camp site in a canyon wouldn't work... :shock:

we don't really need to operate a cw station but cw contacts are worth more points and there is an extra 40 pints in it if we can copy the bulletin from W1AW.
I think CW is cool.

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:28 pm

SteeevO wrote:we don't really need to operate a cw station but cw contacts are worth more points and there is an extra 40 pints in it if we can copy the bulletin from W1AW.
I think CW is cool.
If Dave has his wind power worked out.......there's 100 points right there. There are ways to make up the difference in not having the cw stations.
Also, don't forget you'll need band filters for all stations. This is often overlooked and has been the demise of more than one club event. This isn't a contest technically, which means it's "no holds barred" and all bands are included. Some are close enough in freq. and when working in close proximity (1000 ft by ARRL rules) you will need them to avoid interference/intermod problems.

I was planning to work 2-Bravo this year from somewhere in the sticks, but haven't fleshed out a plan. I know I need to get a genny this year as I just finished rebuilding two Heathkit boat anchors (SB200's) and plan to put them to work. I shouldn't need a campfire with all those tubes glowin'!!
Randy
K6ARW

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Hey Randy:

Great to see you again.

The wind turbine is completely installed and ready to go. All we need now is some wind and we can talk forever. So if Larry and I show up, problem solved!

I like the idea of a remote location, very far away from the city. While it would be nice to rack up some points, this could be a great chance for everyone to see HF in operation and test their rigs out at the same time. Points could be the icing on the cake.
DaveK
K6DTK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:49 pm

DaveK wrote:The wind turbine is completely installed and ready to go. All we need now is some wind and we can talk forever. So if Larry and I show up, problem solved!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If I can't make it, you can always talk to yourself :mrgreen:

Sounds like fun - let's see if we can get this going...I believe Field Day is usually the fourth weekend in June, which would be the 26-27th. Is that correct ? Sure would be nice up in Big Bear (well, nice and HOT) that time of year... :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “2010 SummerFest & Field Day (June 25 - 27, 2010)”