2010-06-26 thru 27: SummerFest Field Day Planning

OAUSA's annual summer outdoor and Ham radio adventure.

Moderator: BorregoWrangler

SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

Re: Field day?

Post by SteeevO » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 pm

Thats right! Can't wait till holcomb opens up!

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:00 pm

I have rented Juniper Pines Camp grounds before. It is in that range of 70-85 dollars per day. It is quite remote. Elevation is 7700' but there is more elevation to behind it.
Attachments
Resized DSC01834.jpg
Juiper Springs Group Camp
Resized DSC01834.jpg (146.6 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:40 pm

I was actually considering Juniper for last year, seems like a nice place but i'm afraid that the higher elevations surrounding the area will work against us.

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Post by salad_man » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:50 am

Hopefully I will be licensed by then and have my radio :D Wheeling sounds good to.
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:29 pm

sounds good! You don't need your license for field day but it definitely doesn't hurt!

OU812
Call Sign: KJ6COB

Post by OU812 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:56 pm

DaveK wrote: The wind turbine is completely installed and ready to go. All we need now is some wind and we can talk forever.
I can bring some box fans and a generator. :mrgreen:
KJ6COB

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Bluff Mesa has no obstructions. And, if I recall correctly, has some beeg dang trees.....got potato cannon? Also, elevation (not talkin' height) isn't as critical to the HF stations. If your going to run FM stations...then it would be a concern. Maybe someone here has camped there more recently and could chime in. From TOPO, the take-off in all directions has nothing higher than 10 degrees.
BTW, how many stations/bands were you guys planning to run?

Steve, as for the filters, it depends on how many stations you plan to run, what type of antennas and how close they are to each other. ARRL says all antennas have to be within a 1000 ft of each other. Dipoles can be nulled to each other and this helps avoid intermod and harmonics. But, if you're mixing verticals and horizontals...it'll get messy. If you're not doing cw you won't have to worry about the 20ssb / 40cw harmonic. If you're going to have stations running simultaneously on 10-15-20 along with the WARCS....you'll need bandpass filters to keep them clear.

edit: here's some add'l info. See post 12 in this thread.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t= ... +field+day
Randy
K6ARW

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 pm

I agree with you on the elevation being pretty irrelevant but the obstructions are more important to pay attention to. Hopefully someone else that has been up there recently can chime in. I'm willing to build a small cannon powered by compressed air... maybe build it to launch tennis balls with a string attatched to it.

I'm thinking it'd be nice to be running at least 2 maybe 3 HF bands(Maybe a Huge Loop and the rest dipoles?) a 6M and a 2M. I want to use mostly wire antennas. if someone has an 6M Beam thats portable.. maybe that would be cool. 2M is easy.. many of us have them on our vehicles, unless someone has played with Sats and the ISS???

For HF Maybe a Huge Loop and the rest dipoles? Maybe a 40/80 Dipole perpendicular to a 10-15-20 Dipole. I've never been on 160M and would really like to take the space that we have on field day to make this happen. I don't have any filters. so we either need to scrounge up a few or arrange antennas in a way that we won't need them.
I'm going to start getting brushed up on CW, hopefully i can do something productive with it by June.

Thanks for the input, it's really helping pull things together. Keep it coming.

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:48 pm

Here are some more thoughts/tips:

The bands that consistently log the most contacts are 20 and 40 SSB and 30 CW. Each should have their own station. Put your best/fastest operator teams on these stations. Both of these stations should run non-stop, start to finish.

The 40 station "band captain" should be on the bands at night in the days prior to note where the megawatters will broadcast. Take notes and don't park there. Find a spot you know will be clear, get there early and hold it for all your worth. Usually the General portion of 40 is very narrow, with most activity occurring between 7175 and 7190. Above 7200 it's dodgeball between the megawatters and other FD stations. Between 7175 and 7200 is the motherlode.

Finding clear spots in the General portion of the band will yield more contacts. Don't go to the Extra segments if you can avoid them....there are far fewer Extras.

For all stations...find a clear spot and get on the air at least an hour early. Just call CQDX, if someone answers...fine....log em' to your own log. As start time draws near, switch to the FD log and just keep calling to ward off anyone that tries to camp on top of you. If you're successful, in a few hours people will resign to leave you alone and you'll probably have it for the duration. Make sure back up teams are ready to relieve quickly, so as not to lose the freq. This is one of the roles of a "band captain", as I mentioned earlier.

There will be more activity than normal in the Extra portions on FD due to the number of Extras overseeing stations. If push comes to shove, you can resort to those sections but logging activity will slow down.

I have a strong feeling 15 will work well this year. I'd set up a station specific to this band.

Consider individual verts for 20 and 40...either planted and radialed (like the S9's cuz' they're cheap and kick@$$), or vertical dipoles like the Sigma5 or Transworld TW2010 (which are more expensive, but way easier to set up). Verticals reach out further in all directions and hear from all directions as well...no nulls.

80 and 160 are fun, but usually log the least due to the limited hours of propogation. These antennas could be put up last on the first day of the event once the other stations are in the groove. As long as they go up before the first night of the event, you're fine.

These are just a few points I've picked up from the Old Man and his buddies. They take it very seriously......But, you guys don't have to......and I would go way out to work in everyone that shows up.
Like most years I won't decide what I'm doing this year until April. I've always thought it would be interesting to see what would happen by planting 1/2 wave verts into a mineral rich dry lake somewhere....no radials needed....a highly conductive ground plane for miles around....Hmmmmm. But, good gawd it'd be hot!
Randy
K6ARW

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:44 am

The reason i didn't want to put up verts is that I simply don't have any.. so i guess it's not that i didn't want to put them up, i just don't have access to them. Does anyone here have a vert that they can take to the FD site? if not then we can always resort to wire antennas.
I have a good feeling about 15 as well. maybe we should be able to run 15 & 20 at the same time. then have 3rd station on the big loop being able to run 40m SSB or 30m CW. I think once the 15/20m stations go dead at night then have an option to run them on lower bands.

I guess it'll be much easier to strategize once we figure out exactly how many radios we have, and what antennas we have to work with. we can come up with wires all day and i'm open to running verts if we have them and can be set up without much complication.

I really like the idea of holding a freq starting before the start time. Working from a lake bed would be cool. but yeah.. it'd be way too hot for me.

So lets start getting a list of stuff we have available for this event. with the list i have so far, we really need to get more batteries or solar cells... sources for power.
Do we have access to any other radios? Tuners?

So far I'm taking:
Icom 746PRO
Icom AH-4 Tuner, Coax, ladder line, tons of wire.
Interstate deepcell Battery and one solar cell

Ollie:
FT-857 in his rig
FT-897
Dipole set up for up to 80-Meters.
baluns and insulators with a boat load of 14 AWG wire to make any type of dipole you want.

Return to “2010 SummerFest & Field Day (June 25 - 27, 2010)”