2010-06-26 thru 27: SummerFest Field Day Planning

OAUSA's annual summer outdoor and Ham radio adventure.

Moderator: BorregoWrangler

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Summer Fest & Field day

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:20 am

I have a Yaesu FT-857D in the FJ, with an ATAS-120A antenna, and a Brunton Solaris 26 solar panel (26w max). I can bring an Optima Yellow Top battery, too. I have a Kenwood HF radio (TS-450S) in my house that I can bring as well...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

Post by SteeevO » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:04 am

Thanks Larry!
I think the 450S would be a great addition to your 857D. I think the number of radios we have now is perfect. The things we needs to start worrying about most is antennas and power. We can always resort to wire antennas so for now lets see what we can come up with for Power. Larry's optima would be great and i'm bringing a deep cycle but we're going to need lots more than that to power all these radios. The solar panels help keep things going during the day but as soon as the sun goes down we will be in trouble pretty quick if we don't get more batteries. Also, what kind of connectors are you guys using for power on your radios? I'm using Anderson Power Poles for pretty much everything that I have 12V.

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 am

Gonna' need generators and a site where they can run 24 hrs. Batteries are fine for QRP, but they won't make it to the home stretch running 100w.

Ok, here's what I will kick in:
1-FT-450AT my usual portable...perfect for this event, (poorman's K3).
1-FT-857d in the truck with an ATAS if someone wants to play. I prolly won't take it out o' the truck.
1-Heil headset & pedal
1-add'l headphones for logger.
1-IntelliTuner (Very broad, but it won't do loops or other balanced line antennas)
1-TW2010 Vertical Dipole, Does 10-20m, works best on 20. This will easily cover 20 meters..takes full legal power. Sets up fast.
1-ICE 20m bandpass filter.
1-ICE 40m bandpass filter.
1-ParElectronics End-Fedz 40m 1/2 wave wire. Great portable antennas. Can be set up as vertical, sloper, or flat-top. This'll cover 40m but has a 200w max. I've got a 20m also. I'll bring it, but it won't out-gain the vert dipole.
1-72ah gel-cell marine batt.
I've also got an AC line isolator/filter for cleaning up any AC power source. But, we'll need add'l ext. cords.
I've got a couple hundred feet of 8x in varying lengths.
Last edited by xtatik on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Randy
K6ARW

xtatik

Post by xtatik » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:14 am

SteeevO wrote:Also, what kind of connectors are you guys using for power on your radios? I'm using Anderson Power Poles for pretty much everything that I have 12V.
Yep, good point.
Randy
K6ARW

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:20 am

Outstanding! I think we'll have quite the setup out there.
As far as power. I don't have a generator but i have run field day multiple times @ 100w strictly on batteries. we usually burn through 2 - 3 fully charged deep cells per 100w radio.

How big of a generator would we be looking at using (without running a linear) if we can get our hands on one?
The linear would be nice but if we can't power it then i'm not going to stress over it. as long we get our antennas dialed in really well i think we'll be ok.

How about logging? whats your input as far as power laptops or keeping paper logs.

Does anyone have old laptops laying around that can run logging software?

xtatik

Post by xtatik » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:35 am

SteeevO wrote:Outstanding! I think we'll have quite the setup out there.
As far as power. I don't have a generator but i have run field day multiple times @ 100w strictly on batteries. we usually burn through 2 - 3 fully charged deep cells per 100w radio.

How big of a generator would we be looking at using (without running a linear) if we can get our hands on one?
The linear would be nice but if we can't power it then i'm not going to stress over it. as long we get our antennas dialed in really well i think we'll be ok.

How about logging? whats your input as far as power laptops or keeping paper logs.

Does anyone have old laptops laying around that can run logging software?
I'll be bringing my old beater froadin' laptop. The laptops will need to be powered right along with the rest of the stuff. With all the guys that run GPS and APRS , there should be a few around.
As for gennies we probably should have more than one (redundancy) and we would have to take a more precise inventory of the number of stations we'll be running to know our power requirements.
I'm not sure how N3FJP handles multi-station registration against one club callsign. I'm sure there is a way, but someone will need to look into this.
Randy
K6ARW

Arkarch
Call Sign: KF6VOM

Re: Field day?

Post by Arkarch » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:23 pm

SteeevO wrote:I think Coon Creek Cabin is a GREAT Spot.I haven't been there but going by the pictures I've found and the elevation nearing 8200ft. i think it takes the cake. the Cabin seems cool too.
Why not use the cabin? I think it's nearly perfect. I noticed that there is a hill on one side of the cabin. do we know what direction this hill is in relation to the cabin?
The hill behind the cabin is generally to the north. There is a cool trail that begins there that runs up shelf up to the ridge. Unfortunately north of the ridge it enters private property / tract development as it runs down hill to the 38.

To the west, the slopes are fairly gentle - probably within the 20 degree rule. Further out you can see the snow capped peaks. So yeah, there could be some obstruction for about 15-25 degrees of horizon due west. Not sure thats a huge problem so long as one can reach most of So Cal. Most other US Territory places in the Pacific should not be that direction.

I did notice the main trail continues east from Coon Creek to a clearing. In any case, trees really begins to thin to brush as the area emerges into the desert.

The cabin itself is sometimes used by large groups.
2009 VR6 Alaska Gray VW Touareg + BFG 265/70/17's + Air Lift + 1 Locker
2006 V6 Colorado Red VW Touareg (Retired)
Images - http://picasaweb.google.com/KF6VOM

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:27 pm

We'll have to put together that specific inventory list once we get a good look at the area. I actually passed by the turn off on the way home today but there was too much snow to check it out comfortably alone. No doubt we can get back there w/ 4x4. But in general i think we're looking pretty good.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:15 pm

I have a laptop in my vehicle, along with the FT857D so maybe it can be set up as a station...or the laptop can be used outside the vehicle, too. I think several other have laptops in their rigs, so if you let us know what software to set up, we might be OK...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:29 pm

Thanks Larry, We'll be running the N3FJP Field Day Software. I'll have more info on that soon.

Does anyone have an antenna for 15m?

Return to “2010 SummerFest & Field Day (June 25 - 27, 2010)”