2010-06-26: SummerFest (The Peaks Tour)

OAUSA's annual summer outdoor and Ham radio adventure.

Moderator: BorregoWrangler

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Re: 2010-06-26: SummerFest (The Peaks Tour)

Post by NotAMog » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:27 pm

I'd like to do this run if we have a spotter for the Gold Mountain boulder field. The Pinzgauer took some good "bendage" on one of the tie rods from a stray boulder the last time I did that trail :cry: . A spotter could have alerted me to the potential for impending carnage :o .

Good thing the tie rod ends on the Pinzgauer are stronger than the tie rods otherwise I could have been stranded there with the front wheels pointing at each other looking like an H2 :mrgreen: (just kidding)
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:59 am

NotAMog wrote:I'd like to do this run if we have a spotter for the Gold Mountain boulder field. The Pinzgauer took some good "bendage" on one of the tie rods from a stray boulder the last time I did that trail :cry: . A spotter could have alerted me to the potential for impending carnage :o .

Good thing the tie rod ends on the Pinzgauer are stronger than the tie rods otherwise I could have been stranded there with the front wheels pointing at each other looking like an H2 :mrgreen: (just kidding)
I'm sure there will be someone there to help you out. The boulder field is optional too. There is a bypass but I doubt you'll need it.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

martyr

Post by martyr » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:26 am

NotAMog wrote:I'd like to do this run if we have a spotter for the Gold Mountain boulder field. The Pinzgauer took some good "bendage" on one of the tie rods from a stray boulder the last time I did that trail :cry: . A spotter could have alerted me to the potential for impending carnage :o .

I hope you come on this run, I would love to see your Pinzgauer in action!

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:58 am

Ayup... we'll have spotter(s).
Chazz Laynedotcom

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:26 am

Chazz Layne wrote:
Ayup... we'll have spotter(s).
Does that mean Dani will be walking the entire trail??? :lol:

We had a fellow FJ'er give us a tour in Moab that included the Poison Spider Trail. It was in the beginning of July and it was between 95 and 100 degrees. The lead FJ had his wife spot the entire group. She hardly saw the inside of the FJ. That had to suck!!! :?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Chazz Layne

Post by Chazz Layne » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:13 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Chazz Laynedotcom

NotAMog
Global Moderator

Post by NotAMog » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:00 pm

I'd been on that trail a couple of times before with no problems. The last time I think think the front tire shifted a boulder that came up and hit the tie rod. It also put a small dent in the heat exchanger ($$$ to replace). I'd like to avoid having the truck down half the Summer waiting for parts and repairs like it's been the last couple of years. The boulder field was the only "feature" the Pinzi didn't like.

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'
(I probably just jinxed myself! :mrgreen: )
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Bruce,

I am pretty sure that was the time you and I ran it on the Friday of last year's summer fest. I thought this was the spot you took the damage and not the shale field or Talus Slope?

NotAMog
Global Moderator

Post by NotAMog » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm pretty sure it was in the talus field (second picture on the first post). I remember hearing the rock rolling under the truck as I ran over it. I should have stopped to check it out. I thought it was hitting the tool box guard, not the critical bits. Pinzgauers have lots of ground clearance but there are a few unprotected spots underneath that can be damaged if they get hit just right, like the tie rods and hydraulic slave cylinders for the 4x4 control and lockers. It's hard to do but I've managed it. Some owners have discussed installing a full belly pan but so far I haven't seen anyone actually do it. Usually the battery and tool boxes or the fuel tank get the most damage. I was surprised that the rock dented the heat exchanger but managed to miss the battery and tool boxes (also $$$ to replace).
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i

Chazz Layne

Post by Chazz Layne » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:23 pm

In light of the possible illegality of the second half of this trip (detailed here: http://oausa.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=19139#p19139), I've contacted the USFS to find out if we may do this one or not. In the mean time, I think it would be a good idea to come up with a Plan-B for the after-lunch portion of this trip... and I'm open to suggestions.
Chazz Laynedotcom

Return to “2010 SummerFest & Field Day (June 25 - 27, 2010)”