2010 SummerFest Sign-Up (Roster)

OAUSA's annual summer outdoor and Ham radio adventure.

Moderator: BorregoWrangler

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Re: 2010 SummerFest Sign-Up (Roster)

Post by OLLIE » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 pm

First post has been updated with roster and fee info. I will be posting campsite info soon.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm In.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:29 pm

DaveK wrote:I'm In.
Snap! Someone told me you weren't goin'.........?
Randy
K6ARW

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:09 pm

xtatik wrote:
Nope! The Scorpion is tuned up and ready to go, (6-80). I was able to exorcise all of the RFI gremlins, got the auto-tuner to work perfectly, and even found a new mounting location.
DaveK
K6DTK

xtatik

Post by xtatik » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:34 pm

DaveK wrote:
xtatik wrote:
Nope! The Scorpion is tuned up and ready to go, (6-80). I was able to exorcise all of the RFI gremlins, got the auto-tuner to work perfectly, and even found a new mounting location.
Killer newz! Were you getting RFI off the truck or common-mode off your feedline?
I know Steve is needing add'l operators and band captains.............?
With all the other goings on, I'm sure people will being coming and going from the site. I'm pretty much burnt on the Big Bear thing for a few years I think, so I'm planning to operate as many hours as I can. I am taking Friday off heading up to do some setup, so I might pitch a few flies at some fish at a little known spot on the way up. What are your plans over the two days?
Last edited by xtatik on Wed May 26, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy
K6ARW

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:23 pm

xtatik wrote:Killer newz! Were you geeting RFI off the truck or common-mode off your feedline?
With all the other goings on, I'm sure people will being coming and going from the site. I'm pretty much burnt on the Big Bear thing for a few years I think, so I'm planning to operate as many hours as I can. I am taking Friday off heading up to do some setup, so I might pitch a few flies at some fish at a little known spot on the way up. What are your plans over the two days?

1. All common mode.

2. I'll work with you-all to help with the bands that are needed.

3. I haven't given the Fest much thought lately - just trying to make sure the Indian Trip goes well. Once that is behind us, I guess I'll start making some plans.

4. No more Big Bear for you, eh?
DaveK
K6DTK

xtatik

Post by xtatik » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:14 am

DaveK wrote:
xtatik wrote:Killer newz! Were you geeting RFI off the truck or common-mode off your feedline?

1. All common mode.

2. I'll work with you-all to help with the bands that are needed.

3. I haven't given the Fest much thought lately - just trying to make sure the Indian Trip goes well. Once that is behind us, I guess I'll start making some plans.

4. No more Big Bear for you, eh?
I'm glad you've got that CM RFI worked out. My Dad actually went to Arizona to get his 6160 and they built a short section of RG8 or RG213 with a ton of toroid beads on it (all loose), I can't recall how many, but it had to be at least 8 or 10 of them on about a 2' section of coax. Did yours come with this?

As for Big Bear (San Berdoos)....you know I've been going up there since I was a kid for all sorts of endeavors and being that it's such a postage stamp sized area......Well, how many times can you go to the same, place, trail, guzzler, stream or crag and not eventually lose your enthusiasm. In the last couple of years I have managed to find a couple of new trickles that hold some small wild fish (and tons of Poison Oak) and that has kept me going back, but other than that......meh.
Have fun on your Southwest sojourn.
Randy
K6ARW

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:28 am

xtatik wrote:I'm glad you've got that CM RFI worked out. My Dad actually went to Arizona to get his 6160 and they built a short section of RG8 or RG213 with a ton of toroid beads on it (all loose), I can't recall how many, but it had to be at least 8 or 10 of them on about a 2' section of coax. Did yours come with this?

As for Big Bear (San Berdoos)....you know I've been going up there since I was a kid for all sorts of endeavors and being that it's such a postage stamp sized area......Well, how many times can you go to the same, place, trail, guzzler, stream or crag and not eventually lose your enthusiasm. In the last couple of years I have managed to find a couple of new trickles that hold some small wild fish (and tons of Poison Oak) and that has kept me going back, but other than that......meh.
Have fun on your Southwest sojourn.

10 Beads!! WOW. My set-up came with one mix 31 ferrite choke and it broke on the first use. Not nearly enough. RFI was sneaking into everything. I ended up with 2 on the coax, 2 on the motor leads, 1 on each of the cables from the Pactor Modem and one on the auto tune cord. A bit of overkill, I know, but it works now without a hitch.

I bought two of the DX Engineering packages of 5 chokes so I have a few extras in case I break one or someone needs one.

I understand the diminishing enthusiasm problem. Maybe next year we can find an alternate location for Summer Fest/Field Day in another area.
DaveK
K6DTK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:18 pm

DaveK wrote:
xtatik wrote:... it's such a postage stamp sized area......Well, how many times can you go to the same, place, trail, guzzler, stream or crag and not eventually lose your enthusiasm.

I understand the diminishing enthusiasm problem. Maybe next year we can find an alternate location for Summer Fest/Field Day in another area.
Gentlemen -

While I too can get a little tired of traversing the same trails, the Summerfest event, and for that matter, most any get-together, is about the PEOPLE, not the location...So try to cheer up, and build up your enthusiasm by attending and mingling in the great outdoors :mrgreen: ;)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
DaveK wrote:
xtatik wrote:... it's such a postage stamp sized area......Well, how many times can you go to the same, place, trail, guzzler, stream or crag and not eventually lose your enthusiasm.

Gentlemen -

While I too can get a little tired of traversing the same trails, the Summerfest event, and for that matter, most any get-together, is about the PEOPLE, not the location...So try to cheer up, and build up your enthusiasm by attending and mingling in the great outdoors :mrgreen: ;)

Kind Sir:

I could not agree more that "it is about the people". But being blessed, as we are here in the State of California, with an abundance of wonderful locations, we would be wise to consider all possibilities so that we can blend a superb location with the opportunity to be with friends.

So, fear not for my enthusiasm, as it remains in good health. As for cheering up, I could not be better!
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “2010 SummerFest & Field Day (June 25 - 27, 2010)”