2010 SummerFest Campsite (Location)

OAUSA's annual summer outdoor and Ham radio adventure.

Moderator: BorregoWrangler

BorregoWrangler

Re: 2010 SummerFest Campsite (Location)

Post by BorregoWrangler » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:22 pm

OLLIE wrote:
Arkarch wrote:North of the cabin there is a trail road the runs a shelf up to the top of the ridge. Get some great views of the area including San Gorgornio Mountain. The trail does continue north of the ridge, but drops into some private developments, exiting eventually to the highway.

The view of Palm Springs / Indio is fantastic!
We took that rode out. Very narrow and beautiful. We liked it a lot. Pin striping is certain on that trail. :lol:
xtatik wrote:Well, that road you mention is going to be blocked to the best of our ability at the cabin end. Our stations will be sitting just barely off the intersection of that road close to the cabin. We will have coax and power cords running across it as a necessity.
Steve and I went up last Sunday to do a site survey of the place. With considerations for antennas (available trees) and their alignments, generators and power cord runs, etc. The site is....ahem,...."less than perfect" for a Field Day in these and other regards. But, we think we have a decent plan for station set ups. Unfortunately, we are relying on little or preferably no traffic coming through on that road. Just a heads up!
I was thinking about taking that route out from the campground Sunday morning on the way to the trail head. If things aren't wrapped up by then I'm sure we can work around it. :mrgreen:
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:16 pm

I was thinking of bringing my dirt bike (plated 250cc dual sport) on a small utility trailer. How would the road into the campground be for towing in a trailer? The trailer is only 12' long, has 15" wheels, and 12" of ground clearance so I would expect it to do pretty well. I haven't tried it on anything really rough yet :shock: .

If anyone else is interested on doing a some off road riding please let me know. I'm a real noob at this so don't expect any radical trail shredding :roll: .

BTW - I'm planning on staying Thursday night at the Heart Bar campground. Will anyone else be there on Thursday?
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm

NotAMog wrote:I was thinking of bringing my dirt bike (plated 250cc dual sport) on a small utility trailer. How would the road into the campground be for towing in a trailer?
The road into the camp ground (1N02) is pretty much a smooth graded dirt road so you'll be okay towing a trailer in.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Return to “2010 SummerFest & Field Day (June 25 - 27, 2010)”