2010-06-25 thru 26: SummerFest San Jacinto Summit Hike

OAUSA's annual summer outdoor and Ham radio adventure.

Moderator: BorregoWrangler

OAUSA Board Members

2010-06-25 thru 26: SummerFest San Jacinto Summit Hike

Post by OAUSA Board Members » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:28 pm

The Humber Park/Devil's Slide Route is the second most used and popular trail to San Jacinto Peak. It is only surpassed by those hiking from the Palm Springs Aerial Tram. So techinically, this is the most used "non cheating way" to access the peak. It is probobaly one of the best maintained trails within Mt. San Jacinto State Park as well. The trail begins at Humber Park, which is heavily used to access Suicde Rock, Tahquitz Peak and Tahquitz Rock (Lily Rock). This actual Devil's Slide Trail is only 2.5 miles long and then joins the PCT. It then leaves the PCT and follows the Wellman Cienega Trail to Wellman's Divide. So the name sake for this trail is Devil's Slide/Humber Park simply because of its starting points.
-Reference from SummitPost.org
San Jacinto via Devil's Slide / Humber Park

Near: Idyllwild, CA
Distance: 16 miles (Round Trip)
Elevation Gain: 4384 ft
Hike Time: 8 hours
Difficulty: Strenuous
Trail Condition: Well maintained trail
HikeType: 2 Day, Out and Back

Summary: This hike will be a significant and spectacular all day adventure. From Humber Park, we head up Devil's Slide (and we will find how it got its name). This part of the trail is 2.5 miles long. We will then reach Saddle Junction and then from here, continue towards Wellman's Divide. This part is around 1.9 miles. From here, we then continue the last part to Wellman's Divide. This stretch is 1 mile long. After reaching Wellman's Divide, take the San Jacinto Peak Trail (you can't miss it). Follow this till we reach the last junction for San Jacinto Peak. We will take a right and head towards the peak. The last part involves mile boulder hoping. This route is around 16 miles long with around 4,384' in elevation gain. Taken from SummitPost.org

We will hike in about 5 miles and set up a base camp near the top of Devil's Slide. We will spend Friday night at this base camp then head out with day packs Saturday morning to get to the summit. After summiting we will turn back and return to base camp where we will pack up all our gear and return to the trailhead that same day. We want to be to the SummerFest campground in time for the potluck on Saturday. :D

ROSTER:
OLLIE
Skytrax and son
Topdogsix
Lemmo
Ricardo
Ed
Cameron
BruisedFJ
CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeaters
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)
146.610- PL: 103.5 Sierra Peak
445.760- PL: 156.7 Sierra Peak

socal_rubi

Re: 2010-06-26: SummerFest San Gorgornio Summit Hike

Post by socal_rubi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:46 pm

I've done this summit, a long time ago. It's quite the climb. Anyone attempting this climb should be in good physical shape.

There are a few different trailheads you can summit from, but any of them makes for a long trail with a significant gain in elevation.

When I did it, we packed in, camped, did the summit on day two, camped, and packed out on the third day.

The trailhead we departed from was at 6800' elv. It was 6.9 miles to camp at Dollar lake at roughly 9200' elv. The trail from Dollar Lake to summit was another 4.7 miles plus 2300' gain in elv.

That's 11.6 miles and 4700' elv gain one way, and that was from one of the closer aproaches.

The Vivian Creek aproach is the shortest, but it's still 8.6 miles and 5500' elv gain one way. Which actualy makes the trail harder in my opinion. shorter but steeper.

I was 18 years old and in peak physical condition and it kicked my ass.

It's doable in a day, but I would never do it.
2012 Jeep JKUR
Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rocks
Wheelin Web Site http://www.IronCrossOffroad.com"

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:03 pm

socal_rubi wrote:I've done this summit, a long time ago. It's quite the climb. Anyone attempting this climb should be in good physical shape.

There are a few different trailheads you can summit from, but any of them makes for a long trail with a significant gain in elevation.

When I did it, we packed in, camped, did the summit on day two, camped, and packed out on the third day.

The trailhead we departed from was at 6800' elv. It was 6.9 miles to camp at Dollar lake at roughly 9200' elv. The trail from Dollar Lake to summit was another 4.7 miles plus 2300' gain in elv.

That's 11.6 miles and 4700' elv gain one way, and that was from one of the closer aproaches.

The Vivian Creek aproach is the shortest, but it's still 8.6 miles and 5500' elv gain one way. Which actualy makes the trail harder in my opinion. shorter but steeper.

I was 18 years old and in peak physical condition and it kicked my ass.

It's doable in a day, but I would never do it.
Check out the first post. We're going up via Fish Creek and making a two day trip of it. :D It's total distance of about 19.2 miles.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

AmoJohnny
Call Sign: KI6UWA

Post by AmoJohnny » Thu May 27, 2010 9:10 am

I might be interested in this. Anyone know what kind of weather is to be expected at the end of june? I know some 8000 foot peaks here still have a good amount of snow now, will there still be snow then? (Just thinking about what kind of shoes/boots/gear might be needed).

jgorm

Post by jgorm » Thu May 27, 2010 2:25 pm

AmoJohnny wrote:I might be interested in this. Anyone know what kind of weather is to be expected at the end of june? I know some 8000 foot peaks here still have a good amount of snow now, will there still be snow then? (Just thinking about what kind of shoes/boots/gear might be needed).
I'm pretty sure there is some snow all year at the top, but mostly in little patches. I did it in June (6th 2004), it was blazing hot on the top with no shade ANYWHERE. I'd be surprised if there is any snow on the trail at all. Our party had over a gallon of water each and we all ran out at least twice. That is a gallon to get to the stream at about ~9K' and another gallon to get to the top and back. There is only the one spot for water, so bring a TON. I'd advise to bring some shade tarps if you camp at the top just in case its warm. People have built some cool wind shelter things at the top too. When you get past the tree line the sun can be brutal. Also, anytime you go over 8000' feet you need to be ready for cold. I had a down coat on at night with a beanie. I mostly hiked in boots, shorts, and a hat. There is a fun little rock climb too.
Attachments
Mt Gergonio 6-6-04 087 (Medium).jpg
shade things
Mt Gergonio 6-6-04 087 (Medium).jpg (90.26 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
Mt Gergonio 6-6-04 078 (Medium).jpg
Mt Gergonio 6-6-04 078 (Medium).jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
Mt Gergonio 6-6-04 066 (Medium).jpg
little free climb
Mt Gergonio 6-6-04 066 (Medium).jpg (112.73 KiB) Viewed 4364 times

OLLIE

Post by OLLIE » Fri May 28, 2010 10:17 am

Due to some feedback I've received, we are changing summits. We are now going to do San Jacinto in place of Gorgonio. I will be updating the first post. It will still be a two day'r stepping off Friday morning then coming back down Saturday afternoon. We will then drive to Big Bear to join the festivities there. :D
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

sdnative

Re: 2010-06-25 thru 26: SummerFest San Jacinto Summit Hike

Post by sdnative » Sat May 29, 2010 10:59 pm

Saw you up there today "prerunning". How was it?

OLLIE

Post by OLLIE » Mon May 31, 2010 7:18 pm

sdnative wrote:Saw you up there today "prerunning". How was it?
Saw me??? Were you up there?

We were heading up a different route. Check out the run report section for the report. :D
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Mon May 31, 2010 8:29 pm

APRS :)

OLLIE

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:04 am

sdnative wrote:APRS :)
Ahhhhhhhh!!!! That makes sense.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

Return to “2010 SummerFest & Field Day (June 25 - 27, 2010)”