2010 SummerFest Saturday Run Report

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

2010 SummerFest Saturday Run Report

Post by OLLIE » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:48 am

Share your photos and run stories from you Saturday run(s). :)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

BorregoWrangler

Re: 2010 SummerFest Saturday Run Report

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Willow Creek & Dishpan Springs Run Report

This year's SummerFest was a blast and I was more than happy to lead a few trail runs over the weekend. On Saturday, the 26th Autumn and I arrived at the Big Bear Discovery Center a little before 9am. A short while later, socal_rubi showed up followed by Willie H, Chazz Layne and SP Jon M3. That made for three Jeep Wranglers (YJ, TJ & JK), one Toyota 4Runner and a Land Rover Discovery. Soon we were on the road heading west on Hwy 18 to the 173 and onto Willow Creek Road. The first part of the trail travels through some scenery burned over by the Willow Creek Fire in 1999. Recovery is slow and some parts of the landscape are still blackened and bare. After airing down at the OHV Pinnacles Staging Area we followed the rutted trail down to Willow Creek, which we had fun crossing while Autumn and Dani took pictures.

Our route passed through forest and open meadows along one of the main routes through a popular OHV area in San Bernardino National Forest. The more difficult parts consist of weathered trails with severe holes, ruts, and off-camber sections. We ran into quite a few ATV's, or "sand fleas" as they were called. Some of whom passed by us rather recklessly. Dishpan Springs, the last black-rated section of our run, was extremely rocky and boulder-strewn. Halfway through this trail is a very steep, rocky climb often called the "waterfall". It was here where SP Jon M3 had some issues getting his 4Runner through the boulders. So rather than risk breaking something he and Chazz turned back to exit the trail. The remaining three Jeeps continued on through some fairly deep ruts to the end of the trail. If time permitted, the plan was for everyone to regroup and run Gold Mountain. By the time we reached paved Green Valley Lake Road it was past 4pm so we decided to head on back to camp in time for the potluck.

Route Overview

Lots of flowers along the way.

Airing down at the staging area.

Coming down 3N34. Others in the group got some good pictures here.

Willow Creek crossing.

Willie H

SP Jon M3

Chazz Layne

One of the hill climbs.

socal_rubi was the first up the waterfall in case anyone had any problems.

He made it look easy.

My turn.

Later that night we enjoyed the campfire at Coon Creek Camp.

A big thanks to socal_rubi, Willie H, Chazz Layne and SP Jon M3 for coming along and making this such a fun day! I'll be looking forward to running the trails again with you guys in Anza-Borrego this fall. :D
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:13 pm

BorregoWrangler wrote:A big thanks to socal_rubi, Willie H, Chazz Layne and SP Jon M3 for coming along and making this such a fun day! I'll be looking forward to running the trails again with you guys in Anza-Borrego this fall. :D
Ditto, and thanks for having us. I'd never been out on Willow Creek before, great views.

For those who haven't seen it, here's what Dishpan USED to look like (the bridge, the parking lot where we ate lunch, the waterfall... w/TJ on 31s)...
Image Image Image
Chazz Laynedotcom

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:19 pm

WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! :lol:

Chazz Laynedotcom

SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

Post by SteeevO » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:47 pm

HAHA! Thats how it's done right there!

Riding the notches on willow creek will do that to ya. it's wheel stand central. :mrgreen:

Willie H
Call Sign: KJ6HEJ

Post by Willie H » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Chazz Layne wrote:WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! :lol:

THIS is the picture I have been waiting for. Good thing your fast on shutter button Chazz!

Thanks for a great day on the trail. I had a great time. I am still going through pictures, I'll post some when I get them all sorted out.
KJ6HEJ
"So...Is this a response to a failed government"
FJ

ssc

Post by ssc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Great report and pictures. What was the issue with the 4Runner going up the waterfall? Traction issue, articulation or ???

Regards, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:33 pm

ssc wrote:Great report and pictures. What was the issue with the 4Runner going up the waterfall? Traction issue, articulation or ???

Regards, Steve
There were a few boulders on the way up the climb that weren't there a few months ago. He was bottoming out on one of them and spinning his tires. We probably could have got him through with the winch but since he didn't have too much in the way of armor underneath he didn't want to risk breaking anything. Jon may have a better understanding of the issue than I do, though.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Post by salad_man » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:08 am

Awesome run, wish I would have woken up on time, ha ha. I ended up running Dishpan with Steve and our friend Rob a little later this day, Ill see what pics I can get.
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

aw12345

Post by aw12345 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:18 am

Dishpan has some nice marbles added to it just before the waterfall and the waterfall on the right is dug up pretty good makes for a fun climb up. For the bypasses there is the middle one that takes some manuevering or the one on the far left that has gotten a lot easier a pretty much stock Jeep can get through there if you can get past all the rocks before the waterfall. Ran the trail 2 weeks ago was a fun ride, very nice afternoon diversion.
2006 Jeep Wrangler
2004 Jeep Wrangler

Return to “2010 SummerFest / Field Day Event Reports”