2010 SummerFest Field Day Report

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

2010 SummerFest Field Day Report

Post by OLLIE » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:50 am

Tell us about how field day went. Share stories, photos, and ideas on ways to make it better next year. :)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Re: 2010 SummerFest Field Day Report

Post by Chazz Layne » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:53 pm

Some pics of the gear:

The antenna cannon...

Wind power...

Setting up the mast...
Image Image

Field Night...
Image Image Image Image

Our unofficial 2-meter station :mrgreen:
Chazz Laynedotcom

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:11 pm

Are those firemen watching you all set up the mast?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Chazz Layne

Post by Chazz Layne » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:21 pm

Yup. A few of their teams went up past that locked gate just up the road from the cabin to do SAR exercises.
Chazz Laynedotcom

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Post by salad_man » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:18 am

Awesome event everyone, It was nice seeing everyone I met at Borregofest last year once again. It was awesome getting on the radios in the first hour, so much traffic and commotion! The runs were great as well, even though I missed then planned out runs...
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:24 am

Did anyone get a list of all the contacts that were hit? I think Dani told us they got someone out at Guam.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 pm

BorregoWrangler wrote:Did anyone get a list of all the contacts that were hit? I think Dani told us they got someone out at Guam.
All the contacts that count for Field Day were logged...but only contacts in the US and Canada are included for Field Day...

However, we did hit Guam, Mexico, and Japan, along with several Canadian provinces and most of the 50 states....

Overall, I think we did an outstanding job for a first Field Day effort - and I'm already looking forward to next year's event !!!

(Especially now that we have officially received our new club call, K6OAU, which is MUCH easier than KI6ZQL... :lol: )
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Arkarch
Call Sign: KF6VOM

Post by Arkarch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:04 pm

cruiserlarry wrote: (Especially now that we have officially received our new club call, K6OAU, which is MUCH easier than KI6ZQL... :lol: )
Oh, how is that not surprising! :) I've seen too many of those cases when recruiting volunteers for events - and typically their call will arrive right after the weekend of the event. For things like B2V, I just cutoff testing a month before expecting the worst in the process.

I agree with the earlier - really good effort for the first Field Day. I'm sure there were workarounds and issues during setup - but from my observation the stations worked out fairly well.

I really did not have a chance to help with setup on Friday this year - maybe next year I can make that work. And I was splitting time with some friends in the area. I didnt get a chance to use my personal gear - but then I realized I would have had to tear apart the car to get the unit-head cable - or just work out of the rig - and with the 2000 sitting there, it was just as well.
cruiserlarry wrote: However, we did hit Guam, Mexico, and Japan, along with several Canadian provinces and most of the 50 states....
We were missing a couple areas - Spokane WA and Oregon; West Virginia and Virginia, Mississippi? and a few Northeastern areas. We all did a great job Saturday night catching Florida - and later on in a 20 minute perioud - Tennessee, Indiana, and I think Alabama. I did not hear the final tally on Sunday morning.

Next year we should be a bit more competitive. Looking forward to it.
2009 VR6 Alaska Gray VW Touareg + BFG 265/70/17's + Air Lift + 1 Locker
2006 V6 Colorado Red VW Touareg (Retired)
Images - http://picasaweb.google.com/KF6VOM

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:36 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
BorregoWrangler wrote:Did anyone get a list of all the contacts that were hit? I think Dani told us they got someone out at Guam.
All the contacts that count for Field Day were logged...but only contacts in the US and Canada are included for Field Day...

However, we did hit Guam, Mexico, and Japan, along with several Canadian provinces and most of the 50 states....

Overall, I think we did an outstanding job for a first Field Day effort - and I'm already looking forward to next year's event !!!

(Especially now that we have officially received our new club call, K6OAU, which is MUCH easier than KI6ZQL... :lol: )

We did very well, what a great effort by all.

Here is a map of the areas we contacted. remember all of these were antenna to antenna with no other infrastructure involved.
Field Day 2010.png
KI6ZQL Field Day 2010
Field Day 2010.png (20.44 KiB) Viewed 4482 times

Chazz Layne

Post by Chazz Layne » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:36 pm

Chazz Laynedotcom

Return to “2010 SummerFest / Field Day Event Reports”