2010 SummerFest Sunday Run Report

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

2010 SummerFest Sunday Run Report

Post by OLLIE » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:52 am

Tell us about your Sunday run(s). How did it go? :)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Re: 2010 SummerFest Sunday Run Report

Post by Chazz Layne » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:31 pm

We opted to skip BorregoWrangler's run so we could do a post-Field Day run if anyone was in the mood after tear down. The trail ended up being Gold Mountain with Bert (salad_man) and his friend (with a stock Xterra, NO DAMAGE! :shock: ). The trail was much worse than on our pre-run 3 weeks ago, looks like someone sat in all the hard spots and spun their tires for an hour... then tried to block the bypasses. :roll:

Image Image Image Image
Chazz Laynedotcom

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:08 pm

I don't even remember that spot you show Bert climbing up on there. :?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Rattlesnake Canyon & Heartbreak Ridge (Pontiac Loop)

On Sunday we met up with Willie H and Ollie in Big Bear for our run down Rattlesnake canyon and Heartbreak Ridge. I was planning to meet up at Coon Creek Camp but since the drive there took a little over an hour from our place we met up half way at one of the gas stations in town. From there it was down Hwy 18 to the 247 to reach the trail head. This remote trails passes through a non-wilderness corridor of the Bighorn Mountain Wilderness Area. The sometimes narrow, sandy, and often wet passage through Rattlesnake Canyon is susceptible to flash flood damage. Much of the route here was easy to moderate with some tight brush along sections of the trail. Although the temperature reach 100 degrees outside while running along the lower elevations, it still felt really nice out in our open air vehicle.

Rattlesnake Canyon Trail Information- http://www.rattlesnakecanyontrail.com/

"Rattlesnake Canyon, located in San Bernardino County California, runs from Hwy 247, 18.22 miles east of the four-way stop in Lucerne Valley to Burns Canyon Rd (Just east of Forest Service Rd 2N02). At the trail head on the desert floor at Hwy 247 the elevation is 3,102 ft. above sea level. The trail gradually climbs to 5,750 ft. above sea level."

Just before we reached Burns Canyon we turned west on 2N02 to 2N61Y towards Heartbreak Ridge. This difficult part of the route includes narrow canyons, steep shelf roads, large boulders and sharp rocks. This time around, Ollie and I were able to make it through without any carnage. We stopped for lunch at the top, paid our respects at the marine memorial and explored around some of the mines. It was also nice not having to shovel snow to get through the backside of Pontiac Loop! Backtracking out along 2N02 we continued traveling down scenic Burns Canyon and exited the trail to paved Rimrock Road, where we aired up and headed home. Ollie and I stopped in Temecula for food and gas while Willie and Stephen continued on down the 15 to San Diego. This route consisted of some of my favorite trails in the area and I was happy to have some good company along the trail.

Route Overview

The sole remaining cattle rancher in Lucerne Valley operates a 29,000 acre ranch. ALL of Rattlesnake Canyon is within this ranch. The ranchers, Billy & Julie Mitchell, are generally pro-OHV, and have worked with BLM and Wilderness folks to keep the Canyon open.

Mr. Mitchell has recently had to put down two cattle and one horse due to injuries created by OHV users going too fast through the canyon, and on the north end nearer his house.

Please do your part to educate others to slow down. Keep the dust and noise to a absolute minimum, give livestock the right of way, and don't scare them off the trail.

Stopping to see some of the sights.

Heading up a rocky section along 2N61Y.

A strange creature emerges from the darkness...

Lunch site.

Ollie tore open a CV boot doing the same thing a few weeks ago.

We could have easily spent a few more days up there enjoying the outdoors but as always, needed to get home. It was great meeting everyone at camp and along the trails; old faces as well as new. Looking forward to BorregoFest!
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Post by salad_man » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:06 am

That was an awesome run that we did, thanks to Chazz for leading, that first obstacle like chazz said was super rutted from tires spinning. The rock garden part was awesome, very tore up however on the trail after, up to meet the bypass.
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

Willie H
Call Sign: KJ6HEJ

Post by Willie H » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:48 pm

Here is a few I took.

KJ6HEJ
"So...Is this a response to a failed government"
FJ

Return to “2010 SummerFest / Field Day Event Reports”