2010 SummerFest Backpack Trip Report

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

2010 SummerFest Backpack Trip Report

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:32 pm

On Friday the 25th the backpacking group met at Humber Park in Idyllwild to step off for two days of fun (and pain) in an attempt to summit San Jacinto Peak via Devil's Slide Trail. The plan was to step off at 7:00 am, we ended up stepping off at 7:30 am. The plan for the day was to hike (what out Topo maps claimed to be just over 4 miles and around 3000 feet gain in elevation with full packs (mine was just over 50 lbs, which I've learned I need to lighten up :lol: ). Here’s the gang at Humber Park parking lot right before we stepped off…

One of the main attractions in Idyllwild is for rock climbers. It is called "Lilly Rock". This is the view of Lilly Rock from Humber Park. You can set in the parking lot of Humber Park with binoculars and watch people scaling the face of this awesome face of granite. We will see this again but we will be looking down on it. :D Things like that really put perspective to how far or high you've gone.

Water flow along the trail. This was our first indication that we wouldn't have a problem finding water sources to filter from. Water is definitely a major concern during long hikes like this.

The rock you see here is called "Suicide Rock", another popular attraction near Idyllwild. That's Hemet in the distance.

We hiked for several hours to main popular junction called "Saddle Junction". Several trails branch off here to go different directions. We decided to eat some lunch here and get the packs off our backs for a little bit. Although we were already beat up pretty good and still had a ways to go for the day, we were all in good spirits.

We finally reached our campsite after about 4.5 hours of hiking. Elevation at camp was 9100 feet and the odometer for the first leg was 5.25 miles. I found this primo spot out on this finger with a great view to pitch my tent. We were expecting high winds that night and low temperatures so we got our tents secured really well and we took naps to recuperate energy.

We still had to hike about another two miles round trip to get water. We rested for a few hours then loaded up all our bladders and nalgene bottles and set off for a spring to filter some water for cooking and our trek to the peak the next day. Here’s a picture of the group filtering from a small waterfall and a detail picture of some wild lettuce (very poisonous to consume).

After we got back from our water trek it was time to relax and cook some supper. We had a rock star view but the wind was really starting to get nasty. Despite the wind we all slept really well. In the first picture here you see Tahquitz Peak and Lilly Rock. Quite an elevation change from Humber Park to camp.

We woke up around 5:00 am on Saturday morning, drank some coffee fixed some breakfast while enjoying this awesome view. The full moon was incredible.

We left camp set up and grabbed our daypacks with water, food, and first aide (just in case) and headed for the peak. On the way to the peak we got some good views of Palm desert, the tram station from Palm Springs and Little Round Valley. Little Round Valley is the patch of green grass you see in the middle of all the trees below.

About 300 hundred yards from the peak is this cabin that was built in 1933. There have been numerous incidents of peoples lost, stranded, etc. on this mountain. People that climb this peak leave survival items in this cabin and sign the logbook inside. There’s everything from sleeping bags, litters, first aide equipment, food, etc. in this cabin.

After checking out the cabin, it was time to complete our summit. The main trail was snow covered so we had to scramble to the peak. The peak is a huge pile of large boulders stacked probably 60 feet high, maybe higher… The elevation at the peak is just above 10,900 feet. Here’s a view across the I-10 to Gorgonio from San Jacinto. Coon Creek Cabin is on the other side of that peak.

All-in-all this was an outstanding trip. It was a great conditioner for our Langley trip coming up in August. We hung out up top for about 45 minutes then headed back to camp, packed up our gear and hiked back to our trucks in Humber Park. For the day, our odometer read over 12 miles. We hit Humber Park around 5:30 pm and I made it to Coon Creek Cabin by around 7:45 pm. The whole hike distance was close to 20 miles for the two day stretch. Here’s a picture of the group chillin’ on the summit.

Here's a link to Skytrax's Kodak Slideshow. He's quite a photographer...
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/cre ... 4136008703
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Re: 2010 SummerFest Backpack Trip Report

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Sorry for the delay... Trip report is now added to the first post.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:21 am

Nice trip report, Ollie. The views up there look amazing. Looks like I gotta add another one to the list!
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:24 pm

I added a link to the end of my report to some of Skytrax's pictures on the Kodak gallery.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Post by DennisDawg » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:38 pm

Wow, sounds like a fantastic trip!!! Good deal!!!! I will have to add this was well!

I have tried to keep my pack under 35 lbs, hard to do when you need to carry a lot of water.
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:17 am

Nice trip! Sue and I did that Summit from the Tram side once. I think it was like 6 mi. each way. I definitely was NOT as conditioned for it as I thought I was. It was dark by the time we got back to the tram station and I was dragging my feet... I literally couldn't lift my feet off the ground! :shock: But, at least I can say I did it and the view from up there is frickin' awesome!
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

Return to “2010 SummerFest / Field Day Event Reports”