NEW YAESU DIGITAL HANDHELD COMING SOON !!!

Give us reviews of amateur radio equipment here.
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

NEW YAESU DIGITAL HANDHELD COMING SOON !!!

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:22 am

Looks like Yaesu is poised to introduce the first touchscreen amateur handheld radio in early 2015. Given their heavy push into the world of digital comms, along with APRS, Yaesu could have a big hit with this new radio...especially among those of us who love their handhelds, but aren't fans of the poor LCD displays.

Here's a sneak peek of the upcoming Yaesu FT2DR:
Yaesu FT2DR.jpg
Yaesu FT2DR.jpg (57.17 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Re: NEW YAESU DIGITAL HANDHELD COMING SOON !!!

Post by Crismateski » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:25 am

ok Larry, I could use some education here.

I see that it has the APRS, and it looks like some basic GPS bread crumb features and geotagged photos via the microphone but actual radio wise, what will this do for me. I know enough on the radios to get it programmed and use them, but a lot of the tech is still beyond me. I read through the Yaesu site but still not really sure what this does for me.

http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=Displa ... Archived=0
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:47 am

This seems to offer some nice capabilities for the outdoors, especially keeping track of hikers and explorers. We need a beta tester, Larry!!!

Sure wish that Yaesu would start making HTs that were 220 capable and full power. The only serious contenders now are Kenwood and Alinco. In the Mobile market there is nothing, unless you count the Alinco DR-235T, which is a single band transceiver at 25 watts max. In my experience, the 220 band is starting to get more attention and some new choices would be welcome.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:25 am

DaveK wrote:This seems to offer some nice capabilities for the outdoors, especially keeping track of hikers and explorers. We need a beta tester, Larry!!!

Sure wish that Yaesu would start making HTs that were 220 capable and full power. The only serious contenders now are Kenwood and Alinco. In the Mobile market there is nothing, unless you count the Alinco DR-235T, which is a single band transceiver at 25 watts max. In my experience, the 220 band is starting to get more attention and some new choices would be welcome.
Yaesu does offer the VX8R handheld, which has 220 Mhz capability (1.5 watts), along with 50/144/430 Mhz (5 watts) and optional GPS (full APRS capability). The radio is still available. I had one which was a great radio, but my eyes did not like the dot matrix low contrast screen - especially in sunlight. So I'm looking forward to the backlit touchscreen of the FT2D :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:30 am

Crismateski wrote:ok Larry, I could use some education here.

I see that it has the APRS, and it looks like some basic GPS bread crumb features and geotagged photos via the microphone but actual radio wise, what will this do for me. I know enough on the radios to get it programmed and use them, but a lot of the tech is still beyond me. I read through the Yaesu site but still not really sure what this does for me.

http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=Displa ... Archived=0
I'm not sure what I can help you with - come to the Redondo Beach Meet and Greet, and we'll be able to discuss radio features in better detail than a forum post.

Also, not everyone needs all the features many of these handhelds and mobile radios offer. I think the trend towards digital communication options, touch screens, upgradable operating software, and larger, brighter displays is a good thing for ham radio. This is a hobby based on advanced technology, and the equipment available should reflect the latest advances in 2-way communications...or at the least, keep up with common features found on every smartphone :mrgreen:

W6LPB / WPOK492

Crismateski

Post by Crismateski » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:34 am

I guess the biggest question is what does the digital get you? is it just better audio quality, or does it open up additional features? I am sure I will have more questions that spur from this. I am planning on making it to the Meet and Greet, all depends on work, we are pretty crazy right now so it is 50/50

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:58 am

Crismateski wrote:I guess the biggest question is what does the digital get you? is it just better audio quality, or does it open up additional features?
Just like different radios, different bands and operating modes, there are advantages and disadvantages to new digital radios.

One plus is the ability to "tag" groups for communications, and to be notified when anyone from those groups are in range, as well as the ability to transmit pictures and data along with voice comms.

For a more details discussion of digital communications, with a focus on the Yaesu Fusion system, check out this link:

YAESU FUSION DIGITAL

W6LPB / WPOK492

Crismateski

Post by Crismateski » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:24 am

Thanks Larry, I will read over the link when link when I get home tonight. The idea of being able to tag groups sounds like a great function for trail use.

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT REVIEWS”