Yaesu FT-270R VHF HT

Give us reviews of amateur radio equipment here.
sdnative

Yaesu FT-270R VHF HT

Post by sdnative » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:29 pm

Yaesu FT-270R Product Page

Anyone have one of these? I am thinking about picking one up soon. Yaesu is raising their prices (and HRO is passing the favor starting next week) due to the exchange rate of the Yen.

Basically the same as the VX-170, or is it?

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Re: Yaesu FT-270R VHF HT

Post by Chazz Layne » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:43 pm

I can't say yet, I just ordered one this morning. I was torn between it and the Icom IC-V85, but ultimately went with the 270 since it is submersible (vs spash-resistant).

Ham City still has them at $129.
Chazz Laynedotcom

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:10 pm

sdnative wrote:Image

Yaesu FT-270R Product Page

Anyone have one of these? I am thinking about picking one up soon. Yaesu is raising their prices (and HRO is passing the favor starting next week) due to the exchange rate of the Yen.

Basically the same as the VX-170, or is it?
I have the 170, and it's a great, easy to use radio. Loud audio, reasonably long battery life, easy to program, and very sturdy. I think the 270 is very similar - based on my 170 experience, I'd recommend considering the 270. ;)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

PNG4X4
Call Sign: KJ6DMK

Post by PNG4X4 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Bit late on this response, but for those who also might be considering it.

This was my first Ham radio after getting my license. I absolutely love it. Tranmission and reception is great. Battery life is good which is a plus, seeing as how I primarily carry it as an emergency radio in my pack for outdoor forays. I decided to do the programing manually so I would learn it and not be handicapped if needing to add a channel in the field, this I found to be fairly strait forward.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:04 pm

PNG4X4 wrote:Bit late on this response, but for those who also might be considering it.

This was my first Ham radio after getting my license. I absolutely love it. Transmission and reception is great. Battery life is good which is a plus, seeing as how I primarily carry it as an emergency radio in my pack for outdoor forays. I decided to do the programing manually so I would learn it and not be handicapped if needing to add a channel in the field, this I found to be fairly strait forward.
The Yaesu FT270R is the "brick phone" of the amateur world, IMO...Simple to use, simple to program, loud audio, big display, and virtually indestructible...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT REVIEWS”