Diamond K400SNMO Trunk/Hatchback Mount

Give us reviews of amateur radio equipment here.
sdnative

Diamond K400SNMO Trunk/Hatchback Mount

Post by sdnative » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:55 am

I am strongly considering this mount, but have some concerns. It uses RG316 coax, which is very high loss. And the price tag of $80 :shock:

http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k400snmo.html

Any one else using this? Is the loss significant? It is about 2-3x that of standard RG8X. The length is about 13.5 ft so it may not be a big deal.

Any input would be appreciated.

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Re: Diamond K400SNMO Trunk/Hatchback Mount

Post by Chazz Layne » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:29 am

I can't speak to that mount specifically, but I have had mixed results with Diamond's mounts and their thin RG316 cables. In our Ranger, which has an amazingly low amount of engine electrical noise, it has been flawless and we've experienced excellent reception and output. In the Discovery, I'm having to replace the mount and the entire line due to poor reception and terrible output. The Disco seems to be generating more electrical interference than the city of Las Vegas, however... :lol:
Chazz Laynedotcom

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:40 pm

I use it for my ATAS-120 on the rear hatch and it works well. I have had good luck with it. A lot of people make a mistake in the way they mount it.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:41 pm

I also use this mount with an ATAS-120A on my FJ Cruiser with flawless results.
No issues with reception, transmission, or interference...and I've installed dozens on customer vehicles without problems as well...

I think you're in for a challenge, Chazz - the LR has long been notorious for electrical issues, and spurious emissions could be related to that histoy.... :o
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:52 am

To add to it, I run this mount into a duplexer so that I can run all bands off of my ATAS-120 instead of running a second dualband antenna for my FT-857. The RG316 coax converts to te larger, more shielded, coax fron the duplexer to the radio.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:05 am

Thanks for the feedback. I have read some rather negative reviews in addition to my concerns and think I will go with some permanent mounts in the roof with some nice low loss coax instead. I was apprehensive about drilling my roof, but I just can't find an another acceptable solution to mount antennas. My only concern now would be if I added a rack in the future.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:03 pm

sdnative wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I have read some rather negative reviews in addition to my concerns and think I will go with some permanent mounts in the roof with some nice low loss coax instead. I was apprehensive about drilling my roof, but I just can't find an another acceptable solution to mount antennas. My only concern now would be if I added a rack in the future.
You could always go with the big whip on the side of the rig.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:23 pm

sdnative wrote:My only concern now would be if I added a rack in the future.
Is there a way to use the stock factory rails to secure a temporary mount? We did this in semi-permanent fashion on a 4Runner with some aluminum angle, a few bolts, and about 10 minutes with a grinder.
Chazz Laynedotcom

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Chazz Layne wrote:use the stock factory rails
It most likely will be removed. I had considered it though.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:10 pm

sdnative wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I have read some rather negative reviews in addition to my concerns and think I will go with some permanent mounts in the roof with some nice low loss coax instead. I was apprehensive about drilling my roof, but I just can't find an another acceptable solution to mount antennas. My only concern now would be if I added a rack in the future.
On my 80 I had 3 NMO permenant mounts that I installed into the roof at the rear of the vehicle. I like the NMO style because it is very low profile when the antenna is removed. It was far enough away from the Wilderness rack I installed, and allowed me to change radios / bands without having to add more antennae - just unscrewed one antenna, and put another on it's mount...worked great, and never had any issues with leakage or reception...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT REVIEWS”