Diamond K400SNMO Trunk/Hatchback Mount

Give us reviews of amateur radio equipment here.
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Diamond K400SNMO Trunk/Hatchback Mount

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Chazz Layne wrote:
sdnative wrote:My only concern now would be if I added a rack in the future.
Is there a way to use the stock factory rails to secure a temporary mount? We did this in semi-permanent fashion on a 4Runner with some aluminum angle, a few bolts, and about 10 minutes with a grinder.
Only if you are using a no ground plane antenna...most factory racks are made of aluminum and plastic, and are mounted to the vehicle with screws into plastic well nuts, or alloy plates that don't offer a good ground.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:39 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:Only if you are using a no ground plane antenna...most factory racks are made of aluminum and plastic, and are mounted to the vehicle with screws into plastic well nuts, or alloy plates that don't offer a good ground.
Sorry for the thread hijack - is the Diamond NR770HB susceptible to this problem?
Chazz Laynedotcom

unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Post by unwiredadventures » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:53 pm

sdnative wrote:Any one else using this? Is the loss significant? It is about 2-3x that of standard RG8X. The length is about 13.5 ft so it may not be a big deal.
Any input would be appreciated.
I use a pair of Comet CP-5NMO mounts on my rear hatch. Unlike the unit you mentioned in your post, the CP-5NMO has only a short length of the RG316 (to get from outside to inside) then the remaining cable is similar to the larger LMR200. This minimizes the loss.

Here is the distributors website:
http://www.cometantenna.com/products.ph ... childID=14

Here are some of the dealers that have them:
http://www.cometantenna.com/dealers.php?ID=1

I've had these on my truck since 2008 without any troubles.

Here they are on my truck. Left side antenna is a Comtelco VHF/UHF, right side is Comtelco 220MHz. Both NMO (non-ground plane type):
'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

SP Jon M3
Call Sign: KJ6IRM

Post by SP Jon M3 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Chazz Layne wrote:
cruiserlarry wrote:Only if you are using a no ground plane antenna...most factory racks are made of aluminum and plastic, and are mounted to the vehicle with screws into plastic well nuts, or alloy plates that don't offer a good ground.
Sorry for the thread hijack - is the Diamond NR770HB susceptible to this problem?
Nope, according to the information provided with my NR770, there's no need to ground the antenna. If I remember correctly they say it doesn't require a ground because it was a 1/2 wave antenna.
Jon - KJ6IRM
'08 4Runner - Icon suspension, Dual battery, ARB Firdge, Demello sliders, Yaesu FTM-350R and FT-857d

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:21 pm

I made the decision to drill my roof. I picked up some larsen NMOB mounts and will be using LMR200 coax. There will be two mounts down the centerline of the roof (front to back, spaced ~40" apart) and one over the DS fender (angle bracket) for CB. I'll deal with the rack issue if and when I get one, with emphasis on if.

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:23 pm

unwiredadventures wrote:Image
Frank, we need to chat. Seems we are on the same page with our builds. Are you going to the BPS M&G in March?

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT REVIEWS”