Need new dual band antenna suggestions

Give us reviews of amateur radio equipment here.
Lucrum
Call Sign: KI6LPQ

Need new dual band antenna suggestions

Post by Lucrum » Sat May 31, 2008 12:36 am

I have a 8800 with a through glass antenna and am having rx/tx problems. Dont know if dirt and water got between or what and it worked great when first installed but now is worse than CB. So now i need to figure out what other antenna to get. i figure on staying away from another through glass and go with a hard mount since I have a new mount already on the tire carrier. What do you guys suggest? I know this can be the most important part but don't want to spend a ton. Thanks in advance.
No Excuses. Get out and Explorer. http://www.lucrumind.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Need new dual band antenna suggestions

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat May 31, 2008 1:16 am

Lucrum wrote:I have a 8800 with a through glass antenna and am having rx/tx problems. Dont know if dirt and water got between or what and it worked great when first installed but now is worse than CB. So now i need to figure out what other antenna to get. i figure on staying away from another through glass and go with a hard mount since I have a new mount already on the tire carrier. What do you guys suggest? I know this can be the most important part but don't want to spend a ton. Thanks in advance.
Glass mount antennas are almost always inferior to a hard mount antenna. Is the anteena mounted to your rear glass ? If so, your new tire carrier / rack might be causing the bad signal if it is close to the antenna. Better off, IMO, hard mounting an antenna to the rack, assuming the ground works well with the antenna installe.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

David
Call Sign: KZ6N

Post by David » Sat May 31, 2008 6:24 am

Larry is right. You will be Ok with most any dual band antenna on the market. Go over to HRO in the Valley or in Anaheim and look at the antennas and mounts. Then figure out where you want to mount it and get a mount and antenna that work where you want to mount them.

david

Lucrum
Call Sign: KI6LPQ

Post by Lucrum » Sat May 31, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks guys, Larry, how does the tire carrier interfear? Yes it is a larsen glass mount I got from Ollie, did work real well, and it is on the passenger side of the back window with a CB on a bandi I am replacing on the driverside. Could I mount the antenna off of the top of the Tire carrier provided a solid ground and all? Problem is being in the wheel chair I cant get at the roof and if i had someone put one on for me i would loose it in a parking garage when i could not take it down.
No Excuses. Get out and Explorer. http://www.lucrumind.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sat May 31, 2008 12:21 pm

Lucrum wrote: Problem is being in the wheel chair I cant get at the roof and if i had someone put one on for me i would loose it in a parking garage when i could not take it down.

Hey Lucrum:

Larsen makes a dual bander which comes with a spring. Unless your clearance is less than an inch or so, the spring will allow the antenna to get wacked by the garage and suffer no damage.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Lucrum wrote: Problem is being in the wheel chair I cant get at the roof and if i had someone put one on for me i would loose it in a parking garage when i could not take it down.

Diamond makes an antenna mount the lays the antenna down electronically, so you can flip a switch and you dual band antenna will be parallel to the ground. flip the switch again, and the antenna raises back up vertical. They make a trunk lip mount, and rack mount, and a plate mount style, I think. This would allow you to keep the antenna up on the roof, but would allow you to collapse the antenna without having to access the roof...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:17 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:

Diamond makes an antenna mount the lays the antenna down electronically, so you can flip a switch and you dual band antenna will be parallel to the ground. flip the switch again, and the antenna raises back up vertical. They make a trunk lip mount, and rack mount, and a plate mount style, I think. This would allow you to keep the antenna up on the roof, but would allow you to collapse the antenna without having to access the roof...
The mount Larry speaks of is the Diamond K-9000 that NotAMog shows in a thread around here somewhere. He uses them on his Penzgauer to retract the antennas.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT REVIEWS”