Yaesu VX-3R antenna options

Give us reviews of amateur radio equipment here.
SWbySWesty

Yaesu VX-3R antenna options

Post by SWbySWesty » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 pm

So from my reading, I'll be able to great enhance my radio with simply a better antenna (I'm not looking to get a new radio until I understand it more). I have a Yaesu VX-3R handheld which is perfect for my backpacking, dirtbiking and mobile rig unit. I also know that if I use the battery power, it'll increase the power and help. Do you guys have a favorite antenna that would be best? I've found two which "the internet" recommends, but what do you think?

1. Comet HT-55 - http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/i ... 799ecdc462

2. Pryme RD-8 - http://radioworld.ca/amateur-accessorie ... 46ce600b5c

I don't want a huge whip, but a mag mount (if possible) is a consideration as well for my truck. Thoughts?

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Yaesu VX-3R antenna options

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:22 pm

SWbySWesty wrote:So from my reading, I'll be able to great enhance my radio with simply a better antenna (I'm not looking to get a new radio until I understand it more). I have a Yaesu VX-3R handheld which is perfect for my backpacking, dirtbiking and mobile rig unit. I also know that if I use the battery power, it'll increase the power and help. Do you guys have a favorite antenna that would be best? I've found two which "the internet" recommends, but what do you think?

1. Comet HT-55 - http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/i ... 799ecdc462

2. Pryme RD-8 - http://radioworld.ca/amateur-accessorie ... 46ce600b5c

I don't want a huge whip, but a mag mount (if possible) is a consideration as well for my truck. Thoughts?
I also have a Yaesu VX-3R, and it needs help anywhere that is a distance from a repeater. For every 3 dB of gain an antenna provides, you get double the effective radiating power - so look for an antenna with as much gain as you can get for the length you are willing to deal with. Of course, the higher gain antennas are usually much longer, so you'll either compromise on antenna size or transmission range ;)

I would use either a Comet or Diamond antenna, as they tend to be reliable, consistant, and well made. I have several different antennas that I trade between depending on priorities - size or distance. My favorite for range is the Diamond SRH77CA.

For the van, hook up a magnetic mount external antenna, and you'll see a huge improvement over any antenna you have inside the vehicle (especially since it is a giant metal box :lol: )
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

SWbySWesty

Post by SWbySWesty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:30 am

Thanks Larry! Is that Diamond atenna the one you had on your belt that was bent in the middle last weekend? If so, that size is fine, especially if I can bend it like that. My only concern would be snapping an antenna in a dirtbike fall...although I guess most of the time I'm not riding with the radio if I'm with other riders.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:38 pm

SWbySWesty wrote:Thanks Larry! Is that Diamond atenna the one you had on your belt that was bent in the middle last weekend? If so, that size is fine, especially if I can bend it like that. My only concern would be snapping an antenna in a dirtbike fall...although I guess most of the time I'm not riding with the radio if I'm with other riders.
That flexible antenna is a Diamond SRHF40 Flexible HT/Scanner Antenna. It provides really good gain, and, as you've seen, is very flexible, so it easier to carry around than a standard high-gain HT antenna
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

SWbySWesty

Post by SWbySWesty » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi Larry,
I got my antenna yesterday. I can hear Keller Peak like a cell phone now from West LA!!! I can't transmit that far, but that's OK for a handheld. I'll try to tune in on Thursday!

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT REVIEWS”