APRS SOFTWARE - UI VIEW 32 UPDATE

Give us reviews of amateur radio equipment here.
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

APRS SOFTWARE - UI VIEW 32 UPDATE

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun May 18, 2014 9:11 pm

There are several programs for folks who are using APRS with a laptop computer, and UI View 32 is one of the better known, and most full-featured programs. In conjunction with Precision Maps software, it is able to provide complete moving map capability while remaining a full-function APRS client server.

Roger Barker G4IDE, the author of UI View and other related programs, became a silent key on September 8, 2004. He had willed the the program remain shareware, and to insure no commercialization would take place, also willed the original code be destroyed upon his death. While this kept the program available, it basically froze the code in time, relative to the operating systems it could run under.

UI View has many great features, many not available on even the most current alternative APRS client programs, and as a result has developed an almost cult-like following among users, as well as the creation of many very useful add-on programs. This dedication has resulted in websites dedicated to the adaptation of the program to newer operating systems.

While it was originally though impossible, UI View 32 can now be made to work under Windows 7, and thanks to the assistance and effort of SP Jon, KJ6IRT, my recently upgraded Toughbook is still able to run UI View 32, even after the addition of a solid state drive and Windows 7 OS.

I'll have my laptop at Summerfest / Field Day to show the result of that integration, which has now made the program faster, and the mapping clearer and more accurate.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: APRS SOFTWARE - UI VIEW 32 UPDATE

Post by DaveK » Wed May 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Larry

Can you give us a preview of the differences. Maybe a screen shot or two?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: APRS SOFTWARE - UI VIEW 32 UPDATE

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu May 22, 2014 11:41 pm

DaveK wrote:Larry

Can you give us a preview of the differences. Maybe a screen shot or two?
The difference has to do with Windows 7, and not UI View 32, and I'm not sure it would be visible from screenshots - it would depend on the OS the viewer was using. (I don't have any screen pics from the original Windows XP version to compare it to, but anyone with Windows 7 or 8 can see the difference on all of their programs and fonts).

It is amazing to see the difference a newer operating system can have on an older computer - no graphics hardware changes were made, but the pixilation is so much better...and I replaced my hard drive with a solid state drive, which made everything much faster, extended my battery life, and sped up my initial boot-up time to less than 60 seconds...much cheaper than purchasing a new Toughbook !!!
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT REVIEWS”