ICOM IC-7000 (HF/ VHF / UHF Mobile)

Give us reviews of amateur radio equipment here.
SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

ICOM IC-7000 (HF/ VHF / UHF Mobile)

Post by SteeevO » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:34 am

I don't have a IC-7000 but i'm wondering if anyone here has one. i'm looking into getting one for mobile HF ops.

Thanks,
-Steven
KF6WVM

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: ICOM IC-7000 (HF/ VHF / UHF Mobile)

Post by DaveK » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:49 pm

I have pretty much settled on the 7000. When you add up the cost of the filters, microphone and features that the 7000 has, that the others don't, even at $1,300.00+, its a good deal. The easiest way to save about $100.00 is to buy on line - no sales tax. While I love the whole HRO experience, $100 is $100. After factoring in the cost of gas to drive to HRO, the savings are even greater, at least with my vehicle.

IMO, the closest competitor to the 7000 was the Icom 706. The fact that the 706 is mil spec compliant (vibratation) is appealing and its track record is impressive. The only thing which makes me somewhat reluctant about the 7000 is its short track record and I have not seen many reports on how it handles the rough stuff off road. Early reports on the 7000 seemed to suggest that, even when idle, you could fry eggs on top of the unit. Seems I heard Icom addressed this issue.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:25 pm

For that kind of money, I will stick with my Yaesu FT-897. Runs on Power Supply, Batteries, and 13.8VDC. I love it. It is the big brother to the FT-857 I run in the "BugEater". I use it as my base station in my house. You'd save a bit of cash going that route. Plus you can buy the ATAS-120A antenna system that allows you to dial in the SWR for any of the band outside of 2M/70cm right from the mic or radio. Most antenna like this you have to run power through. The ATAS does it through the coax so no additional leads. You are looking at around $800 for the radio and $300 for the antenna syste which wold still save you $200 from the purchase of just the IC-7000.

Just my .02 cents.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Ollie:

You could very well be right. I wish we had some real trail users with this radio (the 7000) to give us some info.

DTO is an ICOM devotee and swears by them - as opposed to swearing at Yaesu's. He has a couple of 706's and has used them in the roughest conditions (dust and lots of it, vibration and more)- without a problem.

The quest continues.
DaveK
K6DTK

SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

Post by SteeevO » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:33 am

eh.. i'm still stuck on the 7000... i like my 746pro at home too much to swtich to another brand for HF. granted i have used my yaesu vhf/uhf mobile in very rough conditions.. and operates just fine but the display flickers on some freq. it's done it ever since i uncapped it ((maybe i messed it up but i doubt it)) my uncapped icom handheld that i have literally beat up and it won't die has always worked PERFECT without any glitch at all.
I still like the yaesu vhf/uhf mobile for some reason but I think icom is the hot ticket for HF.

Dennis David

Post by Dennis David » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:18 pm

I am looking at the ICOM IC-7000 myself. On paper it seems to have everything you'd want in a HF mobile unit. Any idea what type of antenna to hook up to this bad boy? Sidekick?
Dennis David

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Dennis David wrote:I am looking at the ICOM IC-7000 myself. On paper it seems to have everything you'd want in a HF mobile unit. Any idea what type of antenna to hook up to this bad boy? Sidekick?
Depends on what you are going to mount it to and what you expect from your antenna. If a screwdriver antenna is what you have settled on, there are several choices, the Sidekick, being one of them.

The more efficient screwdriver antennas are large units and require a very stout mounting location. If you travel offroad, especially in areas where brush and trees can damage things attached to your vehicle, (like an antenna), your mounting location options become very limited. There is a tradeoff between the size of the screwdriver and its efficiency and capabilities. The more you expect from your antenna the bigger it must be.

I decided to go with a screwdriver, with the intention of using it while mobile. I opted for a very efficient antenna and have spent many months grappling with various mounting issues. After a great deal of research, work and testing, I altered my plans for the antenna from my original. I stuck with the screwdriver, but the mounting location that I have settled on, (for efficiency and safety reasons) has turned my HF use into a base camp only operation . One of the biggest reasons I reached this point is that the antenna and the screwdriver are at least 10 feet (and more on the lower bands) and regardless of where it is mounted, it was vulnerable on the trail.

With an auto tuner and an efficient mounting location, a good screwdriver will perform quite well and bring out the best in your 7000. For some good information on choices, when it comes to screwdriver antennas, check out the Quartsfest shoot out results at http://www.quartzfest.org./php/main.php ... ut_Results . This years winners, in the screwdriver 100 watt class, were Scorpion and HiQ. Both will get the job done, like no other.

Good luck!
DaveK
K6DTK

Dennis David

Post by Dennis David » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks for the link.

The Scorpion SA-680 looks the business.
Dennis David

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:52 pm

The Scorpion is an excellent unit. I looked long and hard at the Hi-Q, but in the end, the Scorpion won. The E-Ham reviews are a good place to start your research. Scorpion received a perfect 5 out of 5 rating, see: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7142. Hi-Q received a 4.5 out of 5 rating, see: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1779.

If time permits, I will try to get a write up on the install and performance.
DaveK
K6DTK

Dennis David

Post by Dennis David » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:20 pm

I read those, thanks. Do you use your rig for 2m / 70 cm as well. Will that antenna work or is there something else you do? Now here is a question that may seem obvious but I'll ask anyway. I see cars with multiple antennas. Is each hooked to a different rig or is there a switch/tuner that people use to switch from one to another?
Dennis David

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT REVIEWS”