Yaesu FT-8800D (144/430 MHz Dual Band FM Transceiver)

Give us reviews of amateur radio equipment here.

Would you recommend the FT-8800 to your friends?

Highly Recommend
100%
Somewhat Recommend
No votes
Would Not Recommend
No votes

Total votes: 5

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Yaesu FT-8800D (144/430 MHz Dual Band FM Transceiver)

Post by OLLIE » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:42 am

The FT-8800R operates as two radios in one, with either 144 MHz or 430 MHz as the “Main” TX/RX band, while simultaneously monitoring the other band. Each band has its own Volume and Squelch controls. And, if you like, you can configure your FT-8800R for VHF-VHF or UHF-UHF operation, too!

I love this dual band radio. I run it in the "BugEater" and couldn't be happier with it. I own another FT-8800 which I have set up in a Pelican case with a Power Supply so I can use it in the field for Net Control or set on a mountain top hooked to a battery for a mobile repeater operations. I am able to monitor two frequencies on either 2M or 70cm simultaneously. This capability is wonderful if you want to talk simplex with a group on one frequency while also monitoring a repeater frequency that another group or maybe even your base station at your house might be on.

Additionally, I can turn my rig into crossband repeater with this mobile unit in it. I have found this function invaluable during off road outings where there were no repeaters available and I have had groups in shadows where they couldn't communicate on simplex.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Yaesu FT-8800D (144/430 MHz Dual Band FM Transceiver)

Post by DaveK » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:55 pm

I've got the 8800 and its been toasted, frozen, shaken, dusted, and used hard. Not a hiccup yet. Around town I use the shorty dual band Larsen (Larson?) antenna. For the most part, this seems to be enough. When the distances open up, the longer Larson comes out. I've been able to hit repeaters over 120 miles away (without a PA) with this rig and the longer antenna. Good job Mr. Yaesu!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

Re: Yaesu FT-8800D (144/430 MHz Dual Band FM Transceiver)

Post by SteeevO » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:44 am

I have the FT-8100 which is basically the old school 8800. Great radio. i've run it for sattelite comms from the house and it's been mobile for a few years now and it operates great!
Since it's been mobile I can say it's been FULLY tested.. haha.. the places i go, the trails i run, the elements i'm in.... i just won't give up!
the cross band repeat comes in handy pretty often as does the dual VFOs.
Programming the Memories via serial cable from the computer really speeds up loading all your favorite and most used repeaters around town or out on the trail.
These things have more memories than i know what to do with and they are rock solid. the new 800 i know has a few extra features which would be nice....

-Steven
KF6WVM

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT REVIEWS”