Yaesu VX-8R HT

Give us reviews of amateur radio equipment here.
sdnative

Yaesu VX-8R HT

Post by sdnative » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:56 am

Just found out about this. Looks nice. Any thoughts?

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Yaesu VX-8R HT

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:23 am

sdnative wrote:Just found out about this. Looks nice. Any thoughts?

Image Image
Should be an amazing radio - including Bluetooth for hands free operation on the trail. However, Yaesu has delayed the release of the VX-8R 3 times already. I've got a VX-7R, which is fantastic, and this just raises the bar. I've got the FTM-10R mobile 2m/440 in the FJ, and it uses the same Bluetooth system, so I already have the headset. Now scheduled to come out in October, I'll be looking at them the minute they show up at Jun's...guess it just depends on pricing, and if any issues come out from being a new production unit...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:40 pm

I like the IDEA of this radio. Was at HRO yesterday discussing this radio... Pricing was just released at $389.00. They are scheduled to arrive at the store on the third week of October. They actually warned me against buying one for at least six months due to some of the bugs that may be rearing their ugly heads. As Larry said, they've already been delayed 3 times.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Cnynrat

Post by Cnynrat » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:36 am

One of the best things about the VX-8R is that it's imminent release means you can get some good deals on the VX-7R. For those who don't need the latest and greatest, keep your eye's peeled as I'd expect the deals will only get better once the 8R hits the streets.
Dave
N6DCF

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Cnynrat wrote:One of the best things about the VX-8R is that it's imminent release means you can get some good deals on the VX-7R. For those who don't need the latest and greatest, keep your eye's peeled as I'd expect the deals will only get better once the 8R hits the streets.
That may include my VX7-R. Love that radio, almost as much as checking out the latest releases... :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:49 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
Cnynrat wrote:One of the best things about the VX-8R is that it's imminent release means you can get some good deals on the VX-7R. For those who don't need the latest and greatest, keep your eye's peeled as I'd expect the deals will only get better once the 8R hits the streets.
That may include my VX7-R. Love that radio, almost as much as checking out the latest releases... :lol:
THat includes mine since I see the 8R has dual monitor... :D ...but not for a few months of it being released and I know all the bugs are worked out.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Post by brentbba » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 am

I, for one, can't wait for the VX-8 to come out...so prices will drop on the 6 and 7. Can't make up my mind between those two. My 'Elmer', a ham that owns both likes the 6 better for ease of use. If you really wand dual band then the 7 is the choice.

HRO's site and also Universal Radio are saying mid November for limited release on the 8.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:10 pm

I was told that part of the hang-up on the release is Yaesu wants to have all the accessories available at the same time - they got a lot of angry calls from folks for releasing the FTM-10r and others before any of the add-ons were available...

W6LPB / WPOK492

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:33 pm

Wouldn't it be great if they offered a complete pack option that included ALL the available accessories? I wish they had that for my FT-897 and took about three trips back to get my hands on all the accessories. :lol:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:22 pm

Ollie (K6JYB) wrote:Wouldn't it be great if they offered a complete pack option that included ALL the available accessories? I wish they had that for my FT-897 and took about three trips back to get my hands on all the accessories. :lol:

great idea - except that nice $400 radio would end up costing $1,000+... :lol:

W6LPB / WPOK492

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT REVIEWS”