Yaesu FT-897D (HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Tranciever)

Give us reviews of amateur radio equipment here.

Would you recommend this radio to your friends?

Highly Recommend
67%
Somewhat Recommend
17%
Would Not Recommend
17%

Total votes: 6

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Yaesu FT-897D (HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Tranciever)

Post by OLLIE » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:15 am

The FT-897D is a rugged, innovative, multiband, multimode portable transceiver for the amateur radio MF/HF/VHF/UHF bands. Providing coverage of the 160-10 meter bands plus the 6 m, 2 m, and 70 cm bands, the FT-897 includes operation on the SSB, CW, AM, FM, and Digital modes, and it's capable of 20-Watt portable operation using internal batteries, or up to 100 Watts when using an external 13.8-volt DC power source.

The new FT-897D version includes coverage of the U.S. 60-meter (5 MHz) band, along with the 0.5 ppm TCXO Unit.

I run this radio as my base station in my home. Additonally, I grab it and run for net control operations in the field when necessary. The ability to run off of battery, 12VDC, and 120VAC makes this radio very versatile and I love it. There is an optional mounting bracket that allows you to mount this radio (and I've seen this) in your rig. With the new FT-857D (the FT-897's little brother) available, there isn't a need to mount this radio in your rig as a mobile anymore.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Dennis David

Re: Yaesu FT-897D (HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Tranciever)

Post by Dennis David » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Anyone care to compare this to the ICOM IC-7000?
Last edited by Dennis David on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dennis David

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:43 pm

Dennis David wrote:Anyione care to compare this to the ICOM IC-7000?
Impossible to compare the two. These are two different class of radios. ICOM has come out with a xcvr that targets the FT-897...the IC-7200.
For the moment, the 7000 is probably the most advanced HF mobile on the market.....keywords here are "for the moment".
I will tell you this.. I love ICOM base station radios but I wouldn't have one of their mobiles unless given to me. They are fantastic radios in operation but have a tendency toward short lifespan. They run extremely hot! You might want to check the reviews on eham or run a search on QRZ. I think you'll see my comments reiterated there.
What are your plans for the radio....mobile, portable, shack? Do you plan to contest, chase DX, or casual?
Last edited by xtatik on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy
K6ARW

Dennis David

Post by Dennis David » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Mobile & Shack for casual use and while I am on expedition in Central America.
Dennis David

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:35 pm

I will concur that the IC7000 is the best mobile HF/VHF/UHF all mode radio. I too was concerned about the heating issue and waited for about a year after its introduction before my purchase. For me, even with full power use over extended periods, it has not passed the half way mark on the thermometer (yes, the unit has a built in thermometer). It gets a little warm, but nothing that has ever presented a problem.

The heating issues were definitely a concern in the beginning and many complaints were logged in on EHAM on this issue. From what I have seen and from my personal experience, ICOM seems to have addressed the matter.

At the moment, I can only report that for HF/VHF/UHF use, it has performed well. I used it regularly in the past to do the OAUSA nets (admittedly at 50 watts) and there have been many occasions where we have talked continuously for as much as two hours. Never a problem.

It is a little bit more pricey than some of it's competition, but if you consider its various filters and features, it ends up being competitively priced.

My recollection is that it has gathered high marks at EHAM.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:37 pm

Oh, I almost forgot. Was I supposed to vote here, Ollie?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

xtatik

Post by xtatik » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 am

Dennis David wrote:Mobile & Shack for casual use and while I am on expedition in Central America.
For those purposes the 7000 might be overkill. The 7000 has features that would benefit in the shack moreso than while mobile. The mobile environment is horrible for pulling out and hearing weak signals. For this, a set of headphones, ample filtering, and undivided attention are necessary. The 7000 does well by having IF stage DSP, DSP interactive AGC circuit, and some shaping, but unfortunately lacks a roofing filter. But realistically, most of what is coming on any of these rigs are "set it and forget it" stuff, especially on a mobile. Meaning you'll set the rig for optimum and will rarely touch half of what the mfr'r has built in. So, for casual use I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a mobile.
Ideally, it's not wise to expect all things from one rig. But, budgets can be a concern and having a rig for each purpose isn't always an option.
For any expedition purposes or field portable, I'd get an Elecraft K3-100 with an internal ATU. Having an onboard ATU is a huge asset in the field. Right now Elecraft and Yaesu are the only two mfr'rs utilizing subreceiver technologies and will undoubtedly be changing the whole game when it comes to receiver sensitivity, dynamic range and rejection issues. Elecraft is probably building (custom-building actually) the best performing and most advanced rigs on the market and yet they are so simple in design and interface. No gawdy displays or other BS. All muscle with tons of finesse.
A less expensive option would be the FT-450AT. It's being heralded as "the poormans K3" and was talked up pretty heavily at the DX convention in Visalia last week. It has the usable filtering options like IF stage DSP, DSP/AGC loop, onboard narrow and broad range filtering/shaping for both CW and SSB like the 7000, but also has the addition of a roofing filter and internal ATU like it's big brother the FT-2000. It's also more compact than the K3. It's a sleeper and many can't get over its smallish VFO knob. Also, it doesn't have is FM....but what DX'er cares about FM?
All that being said, for your purposes you could probably get away with any of the current production multi-mode mobile units.....none are perfect, but all work reasonably well.
Randy
K6ARW

Dennis David

Post by Dennis David » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:16 pm

I was reading up Yaesu's description of the FT450 and they mentioned it's suitability for Emergency use but I would have thought that the FT-897's ability to use batteries would make more suitable. Am I wrong here. Would most use car batteries and inverters?
Dennis David

xtatik

Post by xtatik » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Dennis David wrote:I was reading up Yaesu's description of the FT450 and they mentioned it's suitability for Emergency use but I would have thought that the FT-897's ability to use batteries would make more suitable. Am I wrong here. Would most use car batteries and inverters?
They both draw similar amperages and are powered at 12-13.8 volts. The 897 has an internal battery, but I wouldn't count on it alone in an emergency situation.
Randy
K6ARW

Dennis David

Post by Dennis David » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Yeah, I'm still working on that part. I'm thinking out loud. How long can I expect 2 batteries to work in normal operation, If there is such a thing?
Dennis David

Return to “AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT REVIEWS”