Saturday BorregoFest Run (Anza Expedition Route)

We'll plan the 2011 BorregoFest event here. Threads will be started as we get closer to the event. This event will include an Amateur Radio testing session.
BorregoWrangler

Saturday BorregoFest Run (Anza Expedition Route)

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Anza Expedition Route 2011 BorregoFest Run

Old Borrego Valley Road - San Felipe Wash - Carrizo Wash

Lead: BorregoWrangler
Tail Gunner: TBD
Difficulty: Easy
Meeting Time: 8:30 am
Meeting Place: Stagecoach Trails Group Campsite
Departure Time: 9:00 am
CB Channel: 23
2M Simplex: 147.510
2M Repeater:
Mileage: 54 miles
Travel Time: 4 hours

Campsite to Trail Head: 16.7 miles, 21 minutes
Trail's End to Campsite: 34.5 miles, 52 minutes

***Please be prepared with a full gas tank before the run.***

Signed Up:
1. BorregoWrangler + 1 Jeep
2. ralphie
3. gzeleniak
4. Voodoo Blue 57 + 1 Jeep
5. The Viz

Route Description, Points of Interest, & History:

Old Borrego Valley Road marks the beginning of this run, from just east of The Narrows to Ram's Hill. Before County Road S-22 was built, this was the road taken to Borrego Springs after coming from Warner Springs down Grapevine Canyon. An electrical substation on the south side of Hwy 78 marks this turnoff into San Felipe Wash and up into Cactus Valley. This route, which used to be the only access into Borrego Valley, now passes through a quite, serene and little visited portion of the desert. This trail will take us north from the 78 to Borrego Springs Road, through Borrego Sink and onto San Felipe Wash. Much of this route will follow the wide, sandy course of San Felipe and Carrizo Wash so it should be an easy, family-friendly run.

The unique, water-based habitat along San Sebastian Marsh has supplied a permanent, dependable source of water for people and wildlife since ancient times. The marsh was a stopping place for the Spanish explorer de Anza, who named it after his Indian guide Sebastian Tarabel. The marsh is the only designated critical habitat in California for the desert pupfish, an endangered species. Because of its importance in sustaining this unique marshland environment, San Felipe Creek and San Sebastian Marsh is a registered National Natural Landmark. It has also been designated an Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC). The area around the creek and marsh are easily damaged and very sensitive. The marsh is closed to vehicle use, with closure of boundaries clearly posted. Please obey all posted signs. San Sebastian Marsh is open to hiking and is a popular area for nature study. Should you encounter archaeological resources, please leave them where you found them.

The Lost Treasure of San Felipe

The opening of the original Julian-Kane Springs Road in 1925 probably spurred the development of the Little Borego townsite, which was laid out in 1926. Several buildings were built on the townsite, including a store, a school, and the 14-room Miracle Hotel. All around the townsite were five and ten acre "farms" offered at low down and easy payments. But the final route of the new highway by-passed the townsite by several miles, and the coming of the Depression marked the end of the project. As the Depression grew on “Doc” Woillard was rumored to be the last man in Little Borrego before he left. Here he is standing in front of the Little Miracle Hotel in what is now Little Borrego off of Split Mountain Road.

The Anza expeditions of 1775 and 1776 marched from Yuha Well and across Coyote Wash in the southern desert, continuing north to San Sebastian Marsh in the central desert. From here they turned northwest along San Felipe Wash to Borrego Spring, and then up the Borrego Valley to Coyote Canyon.

Juan Bautista de Anza

-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

gon2srf

Re: Saturday BorregoFest Run (Anza Expedition Route)

Post by gon2srf » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey John that looks like a really interesting run, I think I'm in. Do you have an estimate for time? I think this year everyone who's leading should be posting either mileage, an estimated trip time or both. I know that was brought up in the past by some folks who just didn't realize what they had got themselves into especially if they had little ones or dogs. Thanks for the post. :D
Image_Image_Image

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:53 pm

gon2srf wrote:Hey John that looks like a really interesting run, I think I'm in. Do you have an estimate for time? I think this year everyone who's leading should be posting either mileage, an estimated trip time or both. I know that was brought up in the past by some folks who just didn't realize what they had got themselves into especially if they had little ones or dogs. Thanks for the post. :D
Sounds good, Scott. I'll know the time and have a better idea on the mileage once I pre-run the route in late September or early October. But as of now I have about 70 miles mapped out on this route. However, since most of this run travels through washes, I'm thinking we should be able to make pretty good time on it.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

socal_rubi

Post by socal_rubi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:51 pm

Not in my jeep. It hates sandy washes :lol:

My usual speed through those is like 10 - 20 mph.

And it feels like I'm ridding in a wagon with wooded wheels and no springs.

That does look like a great run though.
2012 Jeep JKUR
Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rocks
Wheelin Web Site http://www.IronCrossOffroad.com"

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:27 am

socal_rubi wrote:Not in my jeep. It hates sandy washes :lol:

My usual speed through those is like 10 - 20 mph.

And it feels like I'm ridding in a wagon with wooded wheels and no springs.

That does look like a great run though.
Really? Usually sandy washes provide the smoothest ride, especially when you air down. I know my ride has to be rougher than yours since I'm running leaf springs, but when I air down its all good.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

smslavin
Call Sign: KJ6LDF

Post by smslavin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:08 am

gon2srf wrote:Hey John that looks like a really interesting run, I think I'm in. Do you have an estimate for time? I think this year everyone who's leading should be posting either mileage, an estimated trip time or both. I know that was brought up in the past by some folks who just didn't realize what they had got themselves into especially if they had little ones or dogs. Thanks for the post. :D
The girls and the dog will be with us this year. I think this might be one I could get them to go on but I'm in the same boat. Depending on time, I'm not sure they'd make it.

If the timing works out, be more than happy to join you on the pre-run.
{ slavin photography | KJ6LDF }

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:04 pm

smslavin wrote:The girls and the dog will be with us this year. I think this might be one I could get them to go on but I'm in the same boat. Depending on time, I'm not sure they'd make it.

If the timing works out, be more than happy to join you on the pre-run.
I hear ya. My wife and 7 month old daughter will be with me as well, which is why I chose this particular route. There's a few portions I'm not familiar with so once I pre-run it I'll know if I need to adjust it or not. Got you on the list.

Oh and I'll be sure to post up when the pre-run is.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:42 pm

Bringin' the munchkin' already, that is awesome, will she be in some kind of super baby seat? Your going to need a trailer soon dude, I see it in your future.
Image_Image_Image

smslavin
Call Sign: KJ6LDF

Post by smslavin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:16 pm

gon2srf wrote:Your going to need a trailer soon dude, I see it in your future.
I need one. Last time we went camping was nutso. 4 women. :shock:
{ slavin photography | KJ6LDF }

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:57 am

gon2srf wrote:Bringin' the munchkin' already, that is awesome, will she be in some kind of super baby seat?

No, just a regular one that holds her in good. Its actually what the baby seat is going into that is an upgrade... ;)

gon2srf wrote:Your going to need a trailer soon dude, I see it in your future.
:lol: I was just thinking the same thing. But I definitely see a roof rack in my future.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

Return to “2011 BorregoFest Planning (October 21-23, 2011)”