Alternate Power in the Outback (from sun roof to solar roof)

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned run.
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Alternate Power in the Outback (from sun roof to solar roof)

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:02 pm

DaveK wrote:Don't tell Larry. I'll never live this down - DTK as a greenie???
Oh, don't worry, Dave...I didn't hear a thing... :lol:

Great info on the SP....If I can find room to set a hard mount a panel of that size, I'd love to do it....I currently have a folding 26w Brunton solar panel, which works well to top things off, and charge things up - but it isn't enough to run things...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:53 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
DaveK wrote:Don't tell Larry. I'll never live this down - DTK as a greenie???
Oh, don't worry, Dave...I didn't hear a thing... :lol:

Yikes!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:26 am

My solar panel has been in constant use from the day it was installed (2011). These are pictures of the fully automatic installation, with the controller in the cab.
file.jpg
file.jpg (157.77 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
IMG_1016 (Large).JPG
IMG_1016 (Large).JPG (75.73 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
The SP and the controller were both purchased from Ramsond (http://www.ramsond.com). The SP carried a 25 year power warranty, which covered the output of the panel. If the output dropped below 80% of the peak rated power of the panel then it would be covered under the warranty.

All was well until I noticed that things were not working like they once did. In the beginning, it was little things , like the battery voltage taking a dip, under a load (which was below the rated output of the SP) when the panel was getting full sun. Progressively, the problem became worse to the point where I had to get the amp meter out to see what was going on. Under identical conditions as when I first installed the panel, I now found that instead of getting the usual 5.2 amps of output, I was lucky to be getting 3.5. Clearly less than 80% of rated power.

A quick visual of the SP revealed an interesting situation. Dark lines had developed on the panel cells with some going completely from margin to margin. Here is a picture of the lines.
IMG_0800 (Large).JPG
IMG_0800 (Large).JPG (159.52 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
IMG_0795 (Large).JPG
IMG_0795 (Large).JPG (153.46 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
These pictures were taken a few months before the panel was returned, and in the months between the pictures and the shipment back to Ramsond, the lines grew worse. I was advised that these lines were called “snail trails” and it seems to be a problem with panels from 25 or more different manufacturers, not just Ramsond. If you do some research on this condition, it appears that this is a new phenomenon and the manufacturers are still searching for an answer as to what causes the problem. Even more concerning is there seems that there is no one “theory” that is accepted by everyone and no one seems to know for sure if this has any effect on the performance of a panel.

Ramsond assured me that "the snail trails shouldn't affect performance". Despite this, they were very good about exchanging my original panel for a new one. Whether the problem with my original panel was due to snail trails or something else, I don’t know, but I do know that the new panel performs perfectly. Ramsond customer service is excellent.

Moral of the story:

1. If you have a SP mounted on your vehicle, keep an eye open for snail trails and periodically check the output from your panel to make sure it is performing as advertised;

2. If you buy a SP, do your research and select a company that offers a good warranty on SP performance. (25 years is a good warranty!)
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:37 pm

I have the exact same solar panel from Ramsond, and while I do not yet have it wired in full-time, it has worked fantastically out in the field so far.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for those "snail trails". It is great to know that Ramsond stands behind their warranty.

Thank you for the information and the update... :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument 2011”