General Planning

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned run.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

General Planning

Post by DaveK » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:14 pm

We will need to do a Skype conference call for all of us next week. I think that most of our group is on Skype, but for those who are not, you can sign up now and be ready in time for the conference call. Skype sign-up is free and all calls to other users are free as well. You will need a high speed internet connection (DSL will do). No dial-up.

Michael, if you have Skype, or when you get it, please send me your ID, via PM.

Subject to individual unavailability, let's plan on the conference call as follows:

Date: 1/18/11 (next Tuesday)
Time: 10:30 AM
Type: Skype

I will initiate the call.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

DaveK
Site Admin

Re: General Planning

Post by DaveK » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Pursuant to our conference call today, here are some preliminary items that we need to plan for.

UPDATED 2/15/11

1. We each need to bring as much firewood as possible.

2. From my preliminary count, we have 6 12V fridge/freezer units - Bob, Tom, Frank, Hector, Michael and Dave. Chazz, please let us know as soon as possible if you will be sporting a new cooler by trip time. Due to the length of the trip, we are probably going to need to press at least one fridge unit into freezer service for some of the more perishable foods. Bob will post more on that later.

3. GAS / WATER
Water and gas are not as scarce in the GSE as I thought. While there are no gas or water sources that are actually in the Monument, there are several locations just outside the park and we will plan the trip so as to take advantage of these places. This will adjust my previous estimate of how much we need to carry. We should plan on each vehicle bringing 3 extra Jerry cans of fuel and about the same for water. Please note that your showering preferences(frequency) will dictate how much water you will need to bring.

FOOD
Fresh groceries are another matter. There is one (and maybe 2) locations that are just outside the park and we will be able to make a QUICK run there to supply or resupply. There are a couple of other locations that sell some basics and we will keep them available if the need arises. With a little luck, we will have the travel plans set up by the Meet & Greet and we can discuss how or what groceries we will buy there. If you will be preparing something special, it would be wise to buy it before you leave as the selection at any of the stores near the Monument will most likely be limited.

4. Our headcount is presently at 9. On a trip of this length, showers will not just be a luxury. The current count for showers is three - Frank, Chazz and Dave. This should work.

5. Everyone should bring one lantern with sufficient fuel for a trip of this length. Please make sure that the lantern can produce enough light. A single LED, one AAA battery lantern, for example, probably won't cut it.

6. As might be expected, we will need to arrange for our own restroom facilities. Bring your own toilet seat, magazine rack optional.

7. Each cook will probably want to have his/her own cooking utensils, but to the extent possible, we can avoid duplication of some items by using the gear that some of us will bring. Please post up regarding the items you will be bringing including:
-stove
-cooking utensils such as pots, pans, skillets, eating utensils, etc.
-glasses, cups, wine glasses

8. I will be bringing a fire pan into which we can build our evening and morning fires as well as a BBQ pan and grille.

9. Each person should bring a chair.

10. There are rarely too many tables. If you have one, please bring it.

11. We will need some rakes, both the flexible and non flexible types.
DaveK
K6DTK

michael
Call Sign: KI6JFU

Post by michael » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:28 pm

Unfortunately, SKYPE wasn't working well for me during our first planning conference, so I thought I'd add some details here. I was able to talk to Dave today via SKYPE and get an update on the discussion.

[numbers correspond to Dave's original email]
1. I'll bring some firewood as suggested. Does anyone use the "Presto logs" for convenience and storage reasons?
2. I have an Engel 35 qt fridge/freezer that runs off an aux battery system. I will have spare power at camp for chargers, etc. if needed.
3. 8 jerry cans of water/fuel will be a challenge for my 2006 Tacoma (no roof rack), but I'll work on a storage plan to accommodate 40 gals of fluids.
4. My 'ride along' is not confirmed at the moment, so I may be solo (i.e., headcount may only be 8)
5. I generally don't use lanterns (I like the peaceful night darkness!) but I can bring one if the group needs it.
6. I have a PETT toilet and an Outback Porta Privy which can double as a shower enclosure. I have a very simple battery-powered shower pump.
7. I normally carry a two burner stove. I have kitchen equipment, including griddle(s).
8. I have a compact folding charcoal grill and also a portable propane bbq grill. I don't normally carry these but they're available if needed.
9. If adult beverages are present, I consider a chair to be a safety item and will definitely be bringing mine.
10 I normally carry one compact folding table and can bring a second if needed

I generally take a very simple approach to expedition camping and try to keep things primitive!

I think this will be a very wired group as far as communications go, but I normally carry a SPOT and am willing to add people to the "I'm OK" messages I'll be sending each night.

I'm sure you all have one or more winches on your vehicles. I also have a 10K winch on the front of my Tacoma. I have a Pull Pal that normally goes with me on trips. If the Pull Pal isn't needed, I can save some weight and leave it home.

While I had a SKYPE connection, there was discussion on whether people would caravan or meet the group somewhere. I am considering heading to Kanab a few days early to visit a few favorite places. If needed, I can pick up camping permits or arrange other local items if that would be helpful. If that plan doesn't work out, I can meet the group someplace enroute such as Barstow or Baker.

This looks like it will be a great trip ...I'm already excited about hitting the road!
Time to stop talking about it and just go do it!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:07 pm

Michael:

1. I doubt that anyone will bring presto logs. In my experience, they just don't produce enough heat.
2. Your Engel will be put to some good use.
3. My projection for fuel and water requirements was preliminary. To the extent that it can be adjusted, I will post the information.
4. It's always good to have lanterns and if you can bring one, it will help. Please make sure to bring enough fuel.
5. We'll coordinate cooking gear after others post about what they will be bringing.

Regarding communications, as Frank would say, we are a very "unwired group". We will have HF equipment in use just about every night and everyone is invited to participate. In fact, I would like to set up some HF comm schedules to communicate with people back here in So Cal.

If you are going to be in the area of the GSE before we all arrive, you could register our group and that would save us some time. I'll get you the information, if you can do this.
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Based on our conference call and the experience from the last trip, we decided that each person should bring the vehicle fluids that they will require.

Make sure to include the following:

motor oil
ATF
Brake fluid
PS fluid
Diff oil
coolant (on a temporary basis, water will do)
bearing grease
WD 40
brake cleaner aerosol

Other items to consider:

radiator stop leak
rescue tape
duct tape
tarp
nitrile gloves
safety glasses
JB Weld
zip ties
extra valve stems
hose clamps
wire

Those with like vehicles may want to coordinate on spare parts.

Post up if there are other items we need to consider.
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:41 pm

Post number 2, above, updated.
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:00 am

For those who are able to make the Meet & Greet at the Bass Pro Shops on March 19, 2011, we will be going over meal assignments, equipment , and trip itinerary.

You will get the most out of the itinerary discussion if you are able to get the BLM map identified as "Visitor Information". Contact the GSE Visitor center (435 644-4680) and they will send you one free of charge.

I am preparing level 4 and level 5 maps for the GSE which will have our anticipated tracks. The maps can be used either for APRS or navigation. If you are interested in using these maps, let me know and I will have them available on a flash drive at the BPS. If you can bring the PC that you will be using on the trip, we can load the maps and make sure that they work properly. It would also be a good idea the bring all of your APRS gear so that we can make sure that it is working as well.

My tentative list for attendees are Bob, Chazz, Michael, and Hector . Tom and Frank, let us know if you can make it.
DaveK
K6DTK

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:27 pm

I'll be there, with computer.
Chazz Laynedotcom

michael
Call Sign: KI6JFU

Post by michael » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:01 am

I plan to be there and I'll bring my APRS, nav computer, maps, etc along. I use OziExplorer, but I can probably use the maps so I'd appreciate a copy.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:14 pm

For fuel planning purposes, I ran some rough mileage tracks between gas stations and came up with the approximate numbers below. The recent discovery of a gas station in Big Water will definitely help those who are near their weight or space limits.

Leg 1 (nights 1-2) 150 miles
Leg 2 (nights 3-6) 200 miles
Leg 3 (nights 7-8) 145 miles
Leg 4 (nights 9-10) 160 miles
Leg 5 (nights 11-12) 170 miles

Keeping in mind that many of the trails will be slow and in 4wd low, you now should be able to better judge your fuel requirements.

We will gas up in Escalante, Big Water and Cannonville.

For those planning on buying food for our trip, we should find out what you will need so we can plan on stopping at the towns that will be able to supply our needs.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument 2011”