Equipment - First Aid Kit

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned run.
toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Equipment - First Aid Kit

Post by toms » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Equipment - First Aid
Since we all have a significant cargo capacity, I recommend we each bring a fully stocked first aid kit. I like the duplication and I like the idea that if we get separated (on purpose or otherwise), a first aid kit is at hand.

In addition to your main first aid kit, you may want a smaller one for side trips without the vehicle. Plus you may want to make up a “day to day” bag for Advil (or your favorite NSAID), band aids, anti acid tablets, splinter kit, etc. for the small stuff that does not warrant breaking out the big box.

Heat is hard on drugs, band aids and other items in your first aid kit. So is riding around for a year or two in your off-road vehicle. Packets break and dry out; Bottles leak; drugs expire, etc. It would be a good idea to inventory your drugs and update ones that have expired or show signs of deterioration. Epinephrine should be clear. If not replace it. Replace all damaged supplies. Take the time to type up a list of drugs and when they expire in each of your first aid kits. The list makes it so much easier to check for expired drugs in the future.

This is a good time to refresh yourself with what you actually have in the kit and where it is located. Many find the first aid kit a convenient and logical place to store small survival items – matches, whistle, signal mirror, knife, compass, etc. It is ok to have survival items in the kit if you have room. You know just where to find them. But do this - just for info - separate your true first aid items from survival items so you can see clearly what you have in each category.

I think the best kits are ones you build yourself with the supplies you know how to use.
You can start with a commercial kit, however, and supplement the contents. The Adventure Medical line of First Aid Kits is what I recommend. Their Sportsman model is one I have for when traveling by plane and have to leave my other gear home. They have several larger kits that I like for vehicle dependent travel.

You want the kit to be as waterproof as possible and you should try to segment the supplies into separate areas or small bags based on categories of need. In the attached list you can see suggested categories. BTW I am adding the list to get you started! Feel free to make modifications. One item that merits inclusion on top of every sub section or smaller bag is gloves for personal protection. They will be handy and a visible reminder to wear them.

First Aid Kit – water proof case or bag

DOCUMENTATION
Field Guide of Wilderness & Rescue Medicine
SOAP Notes (Injury / illness documentation forms)
Note book & pencil

TOOLS
Headlamp
Watch
Scissors
Tweezers
60 cc syringe
Suction bulb
Sterile scalpel blade
Fine hemostat
Blood pressure cuff
Stethoscope
Penlight
1-gallon plastic bag for irrigation

PERSONAL PROTECTION
4 (at least) pair latex Gloves
Healthcare hand wash
Ear plugs
Purell hand sanitizer

WOUND CARE
First Aid Cream
Neosporin
2 4x4 inch sterile gauze dressings
2 2x2 inch sterile gauze dressings
1 2x2 mole skin for blisters
6 band-Aids
1 roll 1 inch flexible tape
1 small bottle of tincture of benzoin
1 small tube Providone iodine ointment
1 small bottle liquid soap
Tooth Brush - new
2 inch elastic bandage

ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK KIT
Epinephrine
1 cc syringe x3 or Epi pen
4 tablets Benedryl

LARGE WOUNDS / FRACTURES
Large Triangular Bandage
Xeroform gauze dressing
Sam Splint
4 Diaper pins
4” & 6” Ace bandage
Burn sheet (100 cotton t-Shirt fresh from dryer kept in plastic bag)
Large dressing (Sanitary Napkins / diapers work well)
Handful of big plastic cable ties
Duct Tape

In addition, make a mental note of all the other stuff you have in the vehicle to make a splint (tent poles, tarps, ropes, blankets) or to stabilize someone prior to transport.

MEDICATIONS – Nonprescription
Tylenol aka Acetaminophen (Pain, Fever)
Advil aka ibuprofen (Pain, Inflammation, Fever)
Aspirin (Pain, Inflammation, Fever)
Allegra-D
Imodium
Benadryl
Stool Softener (e.g. Colase)
Syrup of Ipecac
Liquid activated charcoal
Cake mate
Dramamine (motion sickness)
Cough & cold preparations
Sun block
Chap Stick

MEDICATIONS – Prescription
(talk to your doctor)
Antibiotic tablets
Antibiotic eye ointment or drops
Epipen
Medication for severe pain
Steroid cream
Diamox (if going to altitude)

If it has been a while, I recommended you take a First Aid Course. Wilderness Medical Associates http://www.wildmed.com offers course from 2, 4 or 8 days. These courses are geared for the kind of first aid we need.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Equipment - First Aid Kit

Post by DaveK » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:51 am

Tom:

Great list.

For those who can participate in our nets, tonight's topic will be First Aid Kits and this will be a good opportunity to prepare for our trip.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument 2011”