2011 SummerFest Field Day Planning/Discussion

We'll plan the 2011 SummerFest event here. Threads will be started as we get closer to the event. This event will include an Amateur Radio testing session.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

2011 SummerFest Field Day Planning/Discussion

Post by OLLIE » Tue May 17, 2011 4:02 pm

We can discuss our plan of attack for Field Day activities here. Xtatik (Randy) and hmfigueroa (Hector) are our go-to guys on this subject but we want to get any and all's input, comments, or questions. Below is a description of field day taken directly from the ARRL website...

ARRL Field Day Overview
ARRL Field Day is the single most popular on-the-air event held annually in the US and Canada. Each year over 35,000 amateurs gather with their clubs, friends or simply by themselves to operate.

ARRL Field Day is not a fully adjudicated contest, which explains much of its popularity. It is a time where many aspects of Amateur Radio come together to highlight our many roles. While some will treat it as a contest, most groups use the opportunity to practice their emergency response capabilities. It is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate Amateur Radio to local elected community leaders, key individuals with the organizations that Amateur Radio might serve in an emergency, as well as the general public. For many clubs, ARRL Field Day is one of the highlights of their annual calendar.

Objective:
To work as many stations as possible on any and all amateur bands (excluding the 60, 30, 17, and 12-meter bands) and to learn to operate in abnormal situations in less than optimal conditions. Field Day is open to all amateurs in the areas covered by the ARRL/RAC Field Organizations and countries within IARU Region 2. DX stations residing in other regions may be contacted for credit, but are not eligible to submit entries.

Dates:
Field Day is always the fourth full weekend of June, beginning at 1800 UTC Saturday and running through 2059 UTC Sunday. Field Day 2011 will be held June 25-26, 2011.

Bands:
Any Amateur Radio band except 12, 17, 30 and 60 Meters.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Re: 2011 SummerFest Field Day Planning/Discussion

Post by xtatik » Tue May 17, 2011 5:20 pm

OLLIE wrote:Any Amateur Radio band except 12, 17, 30 and 60 Meters.
Thanks for that reminder....:oops: I promise I won't get us off on that wrong foot again......

Ok, so who's got what? I know a lot of equipment went home after last years FD. Does everyone know where they put it?

I'll give up my station list:
1-HF transceiver (FT-450at)
1-power supply
1-AC/RFI line isolator
1-laptop for logging
1-roll-a-table
1-ez-up
1-ground stake and strap
1-20m bandpass filter
1-40m bandpass filter
!- MFJ259b antenna analyzer
1-8' RG8X
1-50' RG8X
1-75' RG8X
1-100' RG213 (if needed for a longer run)
1-43' Max-Gain Heavy Duty push-up mast kit (with stakes and guys)
1-50' Max-Gain Heavy Duty push-up mast kit (with stakes and guys)
1-15m dipole
1-20m dipole
1-40m dipole
1-20m/40m trapped dipole
3-spools antenna cord.
1-75' Heavy Duty extension cord
1-multi-outlet power strip w/short extension
1-slingshot line launcher (just in case)
1-75ah AGM deep cycle marine battery for back-up power
1-30' Power-Poled DC zipcord for battery to radio
I'll probably edit this over time, but it's a start.

There should be a 15m bandpass filter and an 80m bandpass filter floating out there somewhere.....who's got em'?
We also need to discuss source power....got gennies?
Last edited by xtatik on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Randy
K6ARW

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue May 17, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm excited about this year's Field Day - we had a great time last year for our initial try as a group, and I'm certain we'll be able to both improve our score, and the overall experience for everyone who will be involved for this year's contest. 8-)

I'm honored at the suggestion that I take the helm on 40 meters (I had a blast on 15 meters last year), but I'm willing to go wherever I'm needed. I will post my list of equipment that I brought last year when I get a chance; but I will have additional equipment this year. I will be adding an additional HF radio (a Yaesu FT-450AT I just picked up to compliment the Kenwood TS-690S that worked so well last year), a borrowed Honda 2000 generator, and some other small stuff to the list of Field Day 2010 supplies I provided. :mrgreen:

Randy, I have the 15 meter bandpass filter, BTW...

We have been doing a great job here at OAUSA encouraging amateur radio, in addition to licensing many new hams...I highly recommend that anyone interested in amateur radio register to join us at Summerfest 2011. If you've never done HF before, it's a blast !!! If you don't want to man the radios, we always need assistance logging (yes, we'll have computers and a wireless network going on at 8000' in the wilderness - thanks, Hector ;) ) We'll be at a beautiful location, have a boat-load of cool equipment to play with, and some ridiculously knowledgeable folks there to guide you threw the experience. We'll even be holding an amateur radio license testing session for those looking to become hams, or upgrade, in a location much nicer than a classroom :o

So get ready to head up to Big Bear for Outdoor Adventure USA SummerFest / Field Day 2011 !!!
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

xtatik

Post by xtatik » Tue May 17, 2011 6:47 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:I'm excited about this year's Field Day - we had a great time last year for our initial try as a group, and I'm certain we'll be able to both improve our score, and the overall experience for everyone who will be involved for this year's contest. 8-)

I'm honored at the suggestion that I take the helm on 40 meters (I had a blast on 15 meters last year), but I'm willing to go wherever I'm needed. I will post my list of equipment that I brought last year when I get a chance; but I will have additional equipment this year. I will be adding an additional HF radio (a Yaesu FT-450AT I just picked up to compliment the Kenwood TS-690S that worked so well last year), a borrowed Honda 2000 generator, and some other small stuff to the list of Field Day 2010 supplies I provided. :mrgreen:

Randy, I have the 15 meter bandpass filter, BTW...

We have been doing a great job here at OAUSA encouraging amateur radio, in addition to licensing many new hams...I highly recommend that anyone interested in amateur radio register to join us at Summerfest 2011. If you've never done HF before, it's a blast !!! If you don't want to man the radios, we always need assistance logging (yes, we'll have computers and a wireless network going on at 8000' in the wilderness - thanks, Hector ;) ) We'll be at a beautiful location, have a boat-load of cool equipment to play with, and some ridiculously knowledgeable folks there to guide you threw the experience. We'll even be holding an amateur radio license testing session for those looking to become hams, or upgrade, in a location much nicer than a classroom :o

So get ready to head up to Big Bear for Outdoor Adventure USA SummerFest / Field Day 2011 !!!
"CQ Field Day here is Kilo-Six-Oscar-Alfa-United".......What an improvement that will be over last year....sheesh!
Ok, so you've got the 15m filter...duly noted. And, you're going to love that 450's receiver....just wait n' see. I'll give you some filter settings tips and some other tips as well.
As for the gennie....it's the 2k inverter model I assume/hope? If we can get our hands on one more we'd be all set, and have some redundancy we didn't have last year. That'll keep me from having to rent that monstrous 3k model again. Last year we had other promised gennies that ended up being no-shows. Bad juju upon those people. If a one and only gennie fails, you're close to being sunk. When it comes to source power....this cannot happen!. Serious buzz-kill.

So...who's got another inverter generator?
Randy
K6ARW

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Fri May 20, 2011 11:04 am

I can offer a few things as well...

> Yaesu FT-897 HF Transceiver
> Yeasu FT-857 in truck if needed.
> Antenna Tuner for FT-897
> 80M Dipole
> Make Your Own Dipole Kit: Kit has the three plastic insulators that allow you to make your own dipole. Center insulator has a coax connector on it.
> MFJ Antenna Analyzer
> 50' Lengths of coax - 3 ea
> Coax Bulkhead Fittings (Splice coax lengths together) - 2 ea
> Several thousand feet of stranded insulated wire to make antennas out of.
> Laptop Computers - Can get my hands on 2 for sure may and have 4 by the time of the event if needed.

I'll post more when I think of the other stuff. I'm working on trying to run down another generator too.

xtatik

Post by xtatik » Fri May 20, 2011 1:20 pm

OLLIE wrote:I can offer a few things as well...

> Yaesu FT-897 HF Transceiver
> Yeasu FT-857 in truck if needed.
> Antenna Tuner for FT-897
> 80M Dipole
> Make Your Own Dipole Kit: Kit has the three plastic insulators that allow you to make your own dipole. Center insulator has a coax connector on it.
> MFJ Antenna Analyzer
> 50' Lengths of coax - 3 ea
> Coax Bulkhead Fittings (Splice coax lengths together) - 2 ea
> Several thousand feet of stranded insulated wire to make antennas out of.
> Laptop Computers - Can get my hands on 2 for sure may and have 4 by the time of the event if needed.

I'll post more when I think of the other stuff. I'm working on trying to run down another generator too.
Bring it all. If you can supply another inverter generator, that would be awesome. JMO, but I think we should forego in-truck stations this time and have full-sized resonant antennas. We'll produce better numbers this way. We can certainly "demo" in-truck stations as a sideshow, but I think "portable" backcountry stations should be the emphasis.
I assume you mean barrel connectors to join the coax lengths? We'll def' need em'.
Randy
K6ARW

Arkarch
Call Sign: KF6VOM

Post by Arkarch » Sat May 21, 2011 10:12 am

Most likely will come down to help Field Day activities for a shift or two. I also have family activities in Anaheim. I got to figure out timing and all - but just wanted to pop up and say I am around!

KF6VOM
2009 VR6 Alaska Gray VW Touareg + BFG 265/70/17's + Air Lift + 1 Locker
2006 V6 Colorado Red VW Touareg (Retired)
Images - http://picasaweb.google.com/KF6VOM

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Thu May 26, 2011 9:47 pm

Hello here is what I can bring

2-HF transceiver (IC-7200, IC-706)
2-power supply
2-laptop for logging
2-folding table
1-ez-up
1-tent for operating
1-ground stake and wire
1-8' RG8X
1-50' RG8X
1-75' RG8X
1-20 meter dipole
Dipole making supplies
Networking equipment
1-projector
1-fan
1-heater

I have a Honda 1000w non inverter generator. I need to setup and see if it will be suitable for our needs.

1-100' Heavy Duty extension cord
1-multi-outlet power strip w/short extension

1- deep cycle marine battery for back-up

SP Jon M3
Call Sign: KJ6IRM

Post by SP Jon M3 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:25 pm

I don't have alot to offer, but I can pull the Yaesu 857d out of my rig for use. But I don't have an antenna other than the ATAS on my truck.
Jon - KJ6IRM
'08 4Runner - Icon suspension, Dual battery, ARB Firdge, Demello sliders, Yaesu FTM-350R and FT-857d

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon May 30, 2011 8:06 pm

I will be bringing the following equipment:

HF Radio (Kenwood TS-690S)
HF Radio (Yaesu FT-450AT)
Antenna Analyzer (MFJ-259B)
RF Line Isolator (MFJ-915)
15 meter Band Pass Filter (ICE-409)
Heil Hand Switch
Heil Foot Switch
Heil Pro Headphones
Extension Cord, outdoor 100'
6-1 Outlet Adapters
50' Beldon RG8-X coax (2)
Coax connectors (several / misc)

Items I can bring, but will need assistance transporting:

Honda 2000 Generator
10' EZ Up

I will also pick up items for the new antenna mast we purchased:

1/4" Nylon rope, 100' with holders (6)
Concrete Form Stakes, 30" steel (6)

I will try to also have additional runs of RG8X coax, and an additional RF line filter for the second HF radio I'm bringing this year.

* Note for anyone looking to order an ICE band pass filter - due to the unexpected passing of the owner, no new orders are being taken at this time.

"Industrial Communication Engineers (ICE), Ltd, its employees and the Indianapolis Amateur Radio community mourn the passing of company founder Mike Koss, W9SU, on March 28, 2011. Due to Mike’s sudden and unexpected death, ICE has temporarily suspended accepting new orders"
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “2011 SummerFest & Field Day Planning (June 24-26, 2011)”