2011 SummerFest Amateur Radio Testing Session

We'll plan the 2011 SummerFest event here. Threads will be started as we get closer to the event. This event will include an Amateur Radio testing session.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

2011 SummerFest Amateur Radio Testing Session

Post by OLLIE » Wed May 18, 2011 9:14 am

We plan to hold another testing session at our annual SummerFest event this year.

Date: Sunday, June 26th, 2011
Time: Noon to 2:00 pm
Cost: $15.00
Levels: tests for all levels of Amateur Radio will be offered.
Location: SummerFest Headquarters (Coon Creek Cabin Camp Site)

In order to effectively plan for this, we will need to get an idea of how many would like to participate. If you think you will be testing, please post here and we will add your name to the list.

Because we will be testing at the campsite, it will be necessary to review Hector's recommendations here:
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=2184.

There is enough time to prepare to either get that first license or to upgrade. Follow Larry's suggestions below concerning either practice tests or information on how to improve your score.

If you are interested, please post here. Good luck!!!

CANDIDATES:

Technician:

Upgrades:
1 SP Jon M3 - ???

SP Jon M3
Call Sign: KJ6IRM

Re: 2011 SummerFest Amateur Radio Testing Session

Post by SP Jon M3 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:36 am

I'm trying for the end of the month to go for my upgrade. If I haven't taken it by then I will definitely take it at field day. So put me down as a maybe.
Jon - KJ6IRM
'08 4Runner - Icon suspension, Dual battery, ARB Firdge, Demello sliders, Yaesu FTM-350R and FT-857d

shuly
Call Sign: KJ6NAT

Post by shuly » Tue May 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Plan on studying for the general and extra...hope to get everything done at once...the only thing left will be the VE :D
[b]2007 Limited V8 (Nautical Blue) KJ6NAT[/b]| Front: Downey Coilovers | Rear: OME 896 (w/NitroSport) | Total Chaos UCAs | All Pro Rear LCAs | DO Hybrid Rock Rails | Skids : BudBuilt | Bullbar : Shrockworks | Winch : Warn 9.5XP Amsteel Line | Lights : PIAA 580s | Tires : 275/70 Duratrac on 18" Stock Wheels | BajaRack | Audio : VaisTech Video iPOD Kit | Yaesu 350AR w/ Diamond NR770HB

shuly

Post by shuly » Sat May 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Passed the General this morning....so I'll only need to upgrade to the Extra now :)
[b]2007 Limited V8 (Nautical Blue) KJ6NAT[/b]| Front: Downey Coilovers | Rear: OME 896 (w/NitroSport) | Total Chaos UCAs | All Pro Rear LCAs | DO Hybrid Rock Rails | Skids : BudBuilt | Bullbar : Shrockworks | Winch : Warn 9.5XP Amsteel Line | Lights : PIAA 580s | Tires : 275/70 Duratrac on 18" Stock Wheels | BajaRack | Audio : VaisTech Video iPOD Kit | Yaesu 350AR w/ Diamond NR770HB

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Mon May 30, 2011 8:59 am

shuly wrote:Passed the General this morning....so I'll only need to upgrade to the Extra now :)
You don't need the Extra to become a VE. All you have to do is fill out some paperwork and take a little open book test at your own leisure. No proctors are required. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

shuly

Post by shuly » Mon May 30, 2011 8:06 pm

OLLIE wrote:
shuly wrote:Passed the General this morning....so I'll only need to upgrade to the Extra now :)
You don't need the Extra to become a VE. All you have to do is fill out some paperwork and take a little open book test at your own leisure. No proctors are required. ;)
But I want both :) I already started reading the arrl book ... so I should be ready to test at Summerfest

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Tue May 31, 2011 9:05 am

shuly wrote:
OLLIE wrote:
But I want both :) I already started reading the arrl book ... so I should be ready to test at Summerfest
I hear ya... :lol: I was just saying that you don't have to wait to get your VE. That's all. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

shuly

Post by shuly » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:46 pm

No need to test for the Extra now...PASSED TONIGHT!!!! Only missed 1! Woo hoo!!!
Beat ya Jon! Haha...

Couldn't have done it w/o the ARRL / Flash Cards and Lots of Practice Exams on QRZ!

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:34 pm

shuly wrote:No need to test for the Extra now...PASSED TONIGHT!!!! Only missed 1! Woo hoo!!!
Congratulations, shuly !!! ;) I added you to the official OAUSA Amateur Radio Operator Roster...

Quite an accomplishment - so can we count on you to help out at SummerFest ??? We can use another Extra on board :D

Now you definitely need to start checking out HF radios...and there will be some nice, portable style rigs at SummerFest to check out (and test out, too :lol: )

OK, Jon...the gauntlet's been thrown... :o
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

shuly

Post by shuly » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:12 am

cruiserlarry wrote:
shuly wrote:No need to test for the Extra now...PASSED TONIGHT!!!! Only missed 1! Woo hoo!!!
Congratulations, shuly !!! ;) I added you to the official OAUSA Amateur Radio Operator Roster...

Quite an accomplishment - so can we count on you to help out at SummerFest ??? We can use another Extra on board :D

Now you definitely need to start checking out HF radios...and there will be some nice, portable style rigs at SummerFest to check out (and test out, too :lol: )

OK, Jon...the gauntlet's been thrown... :o
Having not been to Summerfest before I don't know how much I can help. I also have only made one HF contact on Jons radio in my driveway...so I am certainly not a pro. Radios...require cash...require working...arg...hopefully soon though. I do want an 857 in the truck. I was thinking about getting the K2 Elecraft and building it. Would be great to use something I built. Anyway...at least I'll get to learn lots more stuff soon. Now to get started on the VE paperwork ... then I can really be helpful.

Return to “2011 SummerFest & Field Day Planning (June 24-26, 2011)”