2011 SummerFest Amateur Radio Testing Session

We'll plan the 2011 SummerFest event here. Threads will be started as we get closer to the event. This event will include an Amateur Radio testing session.
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: 2011 SummerFest Amateur Radio Testing Session

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:50 am

shuly wrote:Having not been to Summerfest before I don't know how much I can help. I also have only made one HF contact on Jon's radio in my driveway...so I am certainly not a pro.
You can be a volunteer operator. Experience is not an issue - if you are licensed, you're in !! We will have two of the best HF mentors available at SummerFest - Hector (hmfigueroa) and Randy (xtatic) to help you get your feet wet on the air...or you can help log contacts on the computer (or both :lol: ). It's easy, it's fun, and that's what your license is for !!!

The VE test doesn't really take any studying - it's virtually open-book, and designed to make sure you understand rules and proedures - no technical knowledge is involved.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

SP Jon M3
Call Sign: KJ6IRM

Post by SP Jon M3 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:34 pm

SP Jon M3 wrote:I'm trying for the end of the month to go for my upgrade. If I haven't taken it by then I will definitely take it at field day. So put me down as a maybe.
Well.. I was able to pass the Extra this morning. So you can take me off the list. I figured this way I can concentrate and help out with the Field Day activates vs. stressing out trying to cram for the test.
Jon - KJ6IRM
'08 4Runner - Icon suspension, Dual battery, ARB Firdge, Demello sliders, Yaesu FTM-350R and FT-857d

shuly
Call Sign: KJ6NAT

Post by shuly » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:22 pm

SP Jon M3 wrote:
SP Jon M3 wrote:I'm trying for the end of the month to go for my upgrade. If I haven't taken it by then I will definitely take it at field day. So put me down as a maybe.
Well.. I was able to pass the Extra this morning. So you can take me off the list. I figured this way I can concentrate and help out with the Field Day activates vs. stressing out trying to cram for the test.
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
[b]2007 Limited V8 (Nautical Blue) KJ6NAT[/b]| Front: Downey Coilovers | Rear: OME 896 (w/NitroSport) | Total Chaos UCAs | All Pro Rear LCAs | DO Hybrid Rock Rails | Skids : BudBuilt | Bullbar : Shrockworks | Winch : Warn 9.5XP Amsteel Line | Lights : PIAA 580s | Tires : 275/70 Duratrac on 18" Stock Wheels | BajaRack | Audio : VaisTech Video iPOD Kit | Yaesu 350AR w/ Diamond NR770HB

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Congrats to both of you. You guys crack me up with the competitive race-like nature through the classes. I know Jon has signed up as an operator.....Shuly, are you planning to get on the air with us? Let's get some airtime and some log entries attached to these callsigns, eh?
I'm starting to get a bit more fired up as we get closer to the event. And, I'm really looking forward to getting as many people as possible on the air this year. I'm certain you two could make a huge contribution.
Randy
K6ARW

shuly
Call Sign: KJ6NAT

Post by shuly » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:43 pm

xtatik wrote:Congrats to both of you. You guys crack me up with the competitive race-like nature through the classes. I know Jon has signed up as an operator.....Shuly, are you planning to get on the air with us? Let's get some airtime and some log entries attached to these callsigns, eh?
I'm starting to get a bit more fired up as we get closer to the event. And, I'm really looking forward to getting as many people as possible on the air this year. I'm certain you two could make a huge contribution.
That competitiveness is why I went for the extra. I don't think I'm going to own an HF radio for a while :lol: anyone have the winning lottery numbers?
Not having done this event before I didn't want to volunteer for something that I didn't quite know what I would be getting into. However, I would like to get some airtime in and try to learn new stuff.
[b]2007 Limited V8 (Nautical Blue) KJ6NAT[/b]| Front: Downey Coilovers | Rear: OME 896 (w/NitroSport) | Total Chaos UCAs | All Pro Rear LCAs | DO Hybrid Rock Rails | Skids : BudBuilt | Bullbar : Shrockworks | Winch : Warn 9.5XP Amsteel Line | Lights : PIAA 580s | Tires : 275/70 Duratrac on 18" Stock Wheels | BajaRack | Audio : VaisTech Video iPOD Kit | Yaesu 350AR w/ Diamond NR770HB

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:10 pm

shuly wrote:Not having done this event before I didn't want to volunteer for something that I didn't quite know what I would be getting into. However, I would like to get some airtime in and try to learn new stuff.
Sign up to work any of the bands - between Randy, Hector, myself, Dave, and Ollie, you'll have no issues working HF for Field Day. THe bands will be busy, and we are trying to stay active for 24 hours, so there will be plenty of opportunity. We all welcome any assistance you are willing to give.

Again, congrats on your Extra ticket (and I corrected your name spelling on the roster - my bad :o )
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:13 pm

SP Jon M3 wrote:Well.. I was able to pass the Extra this morning. So you can take me off the list. I figured this way I can concentrate and help out with the Field Day activates vs. stressing out trying to cram for the test.
Congrats, Jon !!! I knew if shuly took the test, you wouldn't be far behind :lol:.

Looks like we'll have a plethora of Extras on Field Day !!! :mrgreen:

W6LPB / WPOK492

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:42 am

cruiserlarry wrote:Looks like we'll have a plethora of Extras on Field Day !!! :mrgreen:
Jefe, would you say we might have a "plethora" of Extras on Field Day. Oh si El Guapo a "plethora".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik
Randy
K6ARW

gzeleniak
Call Sign: KJ6NJL

Post by gzeleniak » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:04 pm

Would I be able to take the test to become a VE during summerfest?

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:09 pm

gzeleniak wrote:Would I be able to take the test to become a VE during summerfest?
No.

The VE test is an open-book test of procedural regulations, and does not require the presence of other VEs or an actual testing session to complete. You can download the test and application forms from the ARRL site (www.arrl.org), complete the test and send it in to the ARRL. When approved, you'll get a packet in the mail.

W6LPB / WPOK492

Return to “2011 SummerFest & Field Day Planning (June 24-26, 2011)”