Saturday SummerFest Run (Gold Mtn, Jacoby, & Heartbreak)

We'll plan the 2011 SummerFest event here. Threads will be started as we get closer to the event. This event will include an Amateur Radio testing session.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Saturday SummerFest Run (Gold Mtn, Jacoby, & Heartbreak)

Post by OLLIE » Fri May 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Gold Mtn, Jacoby Canyon, and Heartbreak Ridge

Lead: sdnative
Tail Gunner: TBD
Difficulty: Moderate
Meeting Time: 8:45 am
Meeting Place: Gold Mountain Trailhead
Departure Time: 9:00 am
CB Channel: 34
2M Simplex: 145.510
2M Repeater:
Keller Peak (146.385+ PL: 146.2)
Sugarloaf (147.330+ PL: 131.8)

Signed Up:
1. sdnative
2. Crismateski (tentative)
3. SP Jon M3
4. shuly
5. SSC
6. FJcrush
7. StevesKJ
8. Big Dave
9. MtnGote

Route Description:

This run will be broken up in two sections allowing anyone wanting to participate in Field Day to do so.

Section 1: Start at Gold Mountain trailhead. Run Gold Mountain, connect to Jacoby Canyon via 3N16. Finish Jacoby exiting on hwy 18. At this point, either head back to camp or continue to section 2.

Section 2: Cross hwy 18 and take 3N03 though the Cactus Flats OHV area and Burns Canyon. Run up Heartbreak Ridge and Pontiac Sluice. Then back out to the 38.

Trail Head
Gold Mountain trail head is located on Hwy 18, close to mile marker 56 (I believe) and has GPS coordinates 34.274292,-116.81944

Here is a link to the route map:
Summer Fest 2011 Saturday Run

Important Notes:
Please note the starting location of Gold Mountain trailhead leaving 9AM sharp. Parts of this run are in fairly remote areas, so please arrive with sufficient fuel and supplies for the trip.

Please review and comply with the basic vehicle inspection checklist.
OAUSA Fest Event Vehicle Inspection List

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Re: Saturday SummerFest Run (Gold Mtn, Jacoby, & Heartbreak)

Post by Crismateski » Fri May 20, 2011 1:44 pm

I am still waiting to see if I can get off work, but if I can make it, this is a trip I would want to go on

Cris
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

SP Jon M3
Call Sign: KJ6IRM

Post by SP Jon M3 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Count me in on this run.
Jon - KJ6IRM
'08 4Runner - Icon suspension, Dual battery, ARB Firdge, Demello sliders, Yaesu FTM-350R and FT-857d

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Tue May 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Crismateski wrote:I am still waiting to see if I can get off work, but if I can make it, this is a trip I would want to go on

Cris
SP Jon M3 wrote:Count me in on this run.

Got you down!

shuly
Call Sign: KJ6NAT

Post by shuly » Tue May 24, 2011 5:52 pm

I might be in for these runs...not sure about a couple of them. I have done Gold Mtn a few times and Jacoby once (easy minus the narrow squeeze). I'd like to stay off the black stuff (though Gld Mtn isn't a big deal). I can't really afford to break stuff until I get work stuff sorted out.
[b]2007 Limited V8 (Nautical Blue) KJ6NAT[/b]| Front: Downey Coilovers | Rear: OME 896 (w/NitroSport) | Total Chaos UCAs | All Pro Rear LCAs | DO Hybrid Rock Rails | Skids : BudBuilt | Bullbar : Shrockworks | Winch : Warn 9.5XP Amsteel Line | Lights : PIAA 580s | Tires : 275/70 Duratrac on 18" Stock Wheels | BajaRack | Audio : VaisTech Video iPOD Kit | Yaesu 350AR w/ Diamond NR770HB

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Tue May 24, 2011 6:00 pm

shuly wrote:I might be in for these runs...not sure about a couple of them. I have done Gold Mtn a few times and Jacoby once (easy minus the narrow squeeze). I'd like to stay off the black stuff (though Gld Mtn isn't a big deal). I can't really afford to break stuff until I get work stuff sorted out.
No worries. I think a logical break (no pun intended) would be after Jacoby since we will be at hwy 18. If someone wanted to split off at this point they could easily. This may work for some that want to be a part of field day back at camp, but still do a little wheeling in the morning.

Last time I ran Jacoby you could get around that squeeze by going to the right and dropping off a small ledge.

Let me know what you decide.

shuly
Call Sign: KJ6NAT

Post by shuly » Tue May 24, 2011 7:28 pm

sdnative wrote:
shuly wrote:I might be in for these runs...not sure about a couple of them. I have done Gold Mtn a few times and Jacoby once (easy minus the narrow squeeze). I'd like to stay off the black stuff (though Gld Mtn isn't a big deal). I can't really afford to break stuff until I get work stuff sorted out.
No worries. I think a logical break (no pun intended) would be after Jacoby since we will be at hwy 18. If someone wanted to split off at this point they could easily. This may work for some that want to be a part of field day back at camp, but still do a little wheeling in the morning.

Last time I ran Jacoby you could get around that squeeze by going to the right and dropping off a small ledge.

Let me know what you decide.
I never knew there was a bypass...I just ran Jacoby head on.
If I could break off before Heartbreak/Pontiac to minimize breakage risk that would be good.....with my luck while trying to avoid breakage I'll bust a CV on one of the fireroads ... :lol:

Jon ... have you run Heartbreak? I think you mentioned once Pontiac was nasty? Can't remember for sure....I'll look in my trail guides. In the meantime I'm up for Jacoby and Gold Mtn.
[b]2007 Limited V8 (Nautical Blue) KJ6NAT[/b]| Front: Downey Coilovers | Rear: OME 896 (w/NitroSport) | Total Chaos UCAs | All Pro Rear LCAs | DO Hybrid Rock Rails | Skids : BudBuilt | Bullbar : Shrockworks | Winch : Warn 9.5XP Amsteel Line | Lights : PIAA 580s | Tires : 275/70 Duratrac on 18" Stock Wheels | BajaRack | Audio : VaisTech Video iPOD Kit | Yaesu 350AR w/ Diamond NR770HB

ssc

Post by ssc » Tue May 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi Eric,
Sounds like fun. Sign me up. However, the wife wants to run John Bull, so I will see how things pan out. Want to pre run anything?

Cheers, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Tue May 24, 2011 9:39 pm

ssc wrote:Sounds like fun. Sign me up. However, the wife wants to run John Bull, so I will see how things pan out. Want to pre run anything?
No prerunning for me this year. You may be able to convince me to run JB on Friday afternoon, but I may just relax and do a scenic run or hang out by the lake.

SP Jon M3
Call Sign: KJ6IRM

Post by SP Jon M3 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:04 pm

shuly wrote: Jon ... have you run Heartbreak? I think you mentioned once Pontiac was nasty? Can't remember for sure....I'll look in my trail guides. In the meantime I'm up for Jacoby and Gold Mtn.
Yep, I ran Heartbreak/Pontiac last year. This was before I had the SW on and was able to make it without any issues. There was only one part that had me a bit nervous, but with some good spotting it was fine. I think that one spot is where I got the scrape on my rear bumper. Went through that spot again with Jer later that year and we both made it through without any problems. Here's the report from that trip to get an idea of those trails:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2063
Jon - KJ6IRM
'08 4Runner - Icon suspension, Dual battery, ARB Firdge, Demello sliders, Yaesu FTM-350R and FT-857d

Return to “2011 SummerFest & Field Day Planning (June 24-26, 2011)”