2011 Field Day Volunteer Operator List

We'll plan the 2011 SummerFest event here. Threads will be started as we get closer to the event. This event will include an Amateur Radio testing session.
xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

2011 Field Day Volunteer Operator List

Post by xtatik » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:43 pm

We're going to need radio operators of all license class levels for this years event. If you've got HF or Field Day experience.....great! If not, we're going to make it stoopid easy for those who'd like to give it a try. Whether it's just for a few minutes, a few contacts or for an entire shift.....we need your help.
The verbal exchange of information needed to amount to a "contact" on Field Day is very minimal. There is no chit-chat. It's just a repeated call for contacts and then a quick exchange of info and you're done. Wash, rinse, repeat.....it's very simple and we'll have cheat sheets posted at each station along with an experienced operator to help you out. The goal is to log as many contacts as you can for the club.
So, if you're planning on attending and you've checked your schedule against any trail runs, etc. and you have some time to help, please chime in here.
Last edited by xtatik on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy
K6ARW

SP Jon M3
Call Sign: KJ6IRM

Re: 2011 Field Day Volunteer Operator List

Post by SP Jon M3 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:19 pm

I'd be willing to help. I have some HF experience, though most of it while mobile. Currently General, but hopefully either by field day or on field day I'll be upgrading to Extra. I plan on going on at least one of the trail runs, so after all that is sorted i'll post my availability.
Jon - KJ6IRM
'08 4Runner - Icon suspension, Dual battery, ARB Firdge, Demello sliders, Yaesu FTM-350R and FT-857d

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Randy - I'm in to work the radios as needed....I think you "hinted" at having me captain the 40 meter band, but I'm good for whatever needs to be done... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

xtatik

Post by xtatik » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:53 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:Randy - I'm in to work the radios as needed....I think you "hinted" at having me captain the 40 meter band, but I'm good for whatever needs to be done... :mrgreen:
I didn't hint........you're on the hook! :lol:
Hector has picked up the ball and is running 20m. We need a volunteer for 15m Band Captain. I'd like to see one of the newer Generals step up for this. I'd be glad to coach them. I think we have enough equipment already to cover four stations, so little is need from this volunteer other than concerns for manning/caring/staffing.
Randy
K6ARW

SP Jon M3

Post by SP Jon M3 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:16 pm

xtatik wrote:We need a volunteer for 15m Band Captain. I'd like to see one of the newer Generals step up for this. I'd be glad to coach them.
15 is fun to work, I'll volunteer for that one. Looks like I'm only going on the Saturday run that Ollie has planned.
Jon - KJ6IRM
'08 4Runner - Icon suspension, Dual battery, ARB Firdge, Demello sliders, Yaesu FTM-350R and FT-857d

xtatik

Post by xtatik » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:30 pm

SP Jon M3 wrote:
xtatik wrote:We need a volunteer for 15m Band Captain. I'd like to see one of the newer Generals step up for this. I'd be glad to coach them.
15 is fun to work, I'll volunteer for that one. Looks like I'm only going on the Saturday run that Ollie has planned.
Jon,
Thx for volunteering. Only snag is that a Band Captain will need to be available on Friday for set-up. Ideally, you'd need to be near the station and that might preclude going on one of the runs. However, if you can make it on Friday, and we can have your station checked out as being fully functional.......I'll run it for the intitial hours until we can get another operator. Are you good for Friday?
Randy
K6ARW

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:17 pm

I'll be available to work a radio.

Jon,

I'm looking at maybe leading a run Friday afternoon to Friday evening. I don't have plans to lead a Saturday run right now. That's Eric's run (sdnative). There might be one other run on Saturday popping up as well.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

SP Jon M3

Post by SP Jon M3 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:06 am

Randy, Yes I'll be there Friday, just let me know what time you want me to show up. If need be, I can scrub going on the run to help with the Field Day events (as this is the pri goal for the weekend).

Ollie, Sorry.. I thought that Saturday's run was your run. But if I'm needed I might not be able to go anyway. So depending on what's needed I might go on one of your runs instead if time permits.
Jon - KJ6IRM

xtatik

Post by xtatik » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:32 pm

SP Jon M3 wrote:Randy, Yes I'll be there Friday, just let me know what time you want me to show up. If need be, I can scrub going on the run to help with the Field Day events (as this is the pri goal for the weekend).

Ollie, Sorry.. I thought that Saturday's run was your run. But if I'm needed I might not be able to go anyway. So depending on what's needed I might go on one of your runs instead if time permits.
Well here comes the "Dear Jon letter". Ollie has spoke up and will be the 15m Captain.....However, I'd like to have you guys team (logger/operator, vice versa)on this station. Here's why....I'm assuming this will be a first event of this magnitude for da' bodayaz', and this is a great band to cut your teeth on. But, after you guys see how the station gets put together and run......and, once you find your radio voices, I'll take over for short stints and you guys can jump in on the faster paced bands. This'll have both of you guys ready for 20 and 40m captain positions next year.
Bottom line, each station should ideally have two operators present. Each team member should take a turn listening and logging (logger) and as the operator during a shift. I can remember a fews years back at my Dad's club event where we had three sets of ears on a couple stations because the propogation was soooo bad. This year looks to be much better for 15m. Propogation has improved immensely over last year. We'll also have the 15m wire much higher in the air and it will be oriented much better(E/W). Last years placement was a bit of a frustration, but Larry managed to do very well despite these pitfalls.
There'll be much bigger expectations placed on each station this year. :twisted:
Still interested?
Last edited by xtatik on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy
K6ARW

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:32 pm

If I've got this right, we'll be focusing on 3 bands - 15m, 20m, and 40m ?

Seems like we'll have plenty of radios, and we should have plenty of operators / assistants to keep them running for the full 24 hours...this should be awesome !!!

I picked up a couple of 50' coax cables, and 4 extra coax couplers, along with an Alinco DM-330MVT power supply today, too...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “2011 SummerFest & Field Day Planning (June 24-26, 2011)”