2011 Summerfest Run Report

ssc

2011 Summerfest Run Report

Post by ssc » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Gold Mountain, Jacoby, Heartbreak Run

A big thanks to Eric for putting this run together and leading the train. We started at the trail head for Gold Mountain and it was a picture perfect day. We had 7 rigs which included a landcruiser, two 4-runners, three FJ's and one jeep. We had Eric in the lead followed by me-Steve then Bill, then Steve, then Shuly, then Steve and rear guard Dave. Too many Steve's :lol:

Gold Mtn proved to be a bit moderate in three places, but since John was not present, no damage was reported. :D With a bit of spotting here and there everyone made it.

As an aside, I have never seen so many motorcycles on GM. I understand there was an event. Many of these folks were very nice, however, some were complete idiots and tested--at least-- my patience. Some just seemed not to be able to control their bikes and were out of control. At the first obstacle, one MC came right through where people and children were standing--and they were on the side. Another fool tried to pass Steve as he was climbing up the ledge and lost control and he fell almost into his FJ and had Steve not stopped, he would have hit him.

We then went to Jacoby. This is always a scenic trail and we stopped for lunch in the shade of the trees just beyond the stream. We then made our way to Cactus Flats and split up. Eric, Steve and I made a run to Heartbreak and took a road less traveled--which was blocked and then a quick turn around to another unfamiliar road through the Yucca's and back to the 38 where we aired up. It was a nice day in the woods.

Cheers, Steve
9J4G4410.JPG
GM Trailhead
9J4G4410.JPG (413.1 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
9J4G4412.JPG
FJ Crush
9J4G4412.JPG (449.78 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
9J4G4417.JPG
KJ Steve
9J4G4417.JPG (468.03 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
9J4G4418.JPG
Shuly
9J4G4418.JPG (414.07 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
9J4G4419.JPG
BB Lake
9J4G4419.JPG (283.16 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
9J4G4425.JPG
Lunch Time
9J4G4425.JPG (477.96 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
9J4G4443.JPG
The road less traveled
9J4G4443.JPG (373.35 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
Attachments
9J4G4415.JPG
Eric, the FJ whisperer
9J4G4415.JPG (577.37 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Re: 2011 Summerfest Run Report

Post by Chazz Layne » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:51 pm

Bikes have been an issue the last 3 times I've been up there, and on more than just Gold Mountain. It seems they need to be reminded that these are primarily 4x4 trails, not dirt bike tracks, and they are allowed there as our guests. Enough complaints to the USFS and they will loose access just like they have everywhere else (because of poor behavior). It would not surprise me if this happened sooner rather than later, as a respectful braaper in Big Bear seems to be the exception, not the rule.
Chazz Laynedotcom

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:40 am

ssc wrote:Gold Mtn proved to be a bit moderate in three places, but since John was not present, no damage was reported. :D
I see what you did there! :lol:

Looks like you guys had a nice run. I really enjoy that route and agree with you on the dirt bike issues. It was great being able to stop by and hang out for a bit.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:49 am

The motorcycle group was part of this event:

http://www.bigbeartrailriders.com/conte ... _id=170496

I am in the process of writing an email complaint to Mr. Burgi. The behaviour of some of the riders was not only unsafe, but dangerous and reckless. There were several near-misses with the bikes and bystanders (especially the kids) and trucks. Not to mention the dirt and rocks flung in the direction of people/trucks by the spinning rear tires.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:52 am

I have sent an email to the motorcycle event coordinator. Hopefully it will be addressed in some way. We're all out there with the same intentions, to have fun in the great outdoors and I'm sure the event organizer did not intend for the group to be reckless but once they're on the trail it's hard for them to control the riders. We all need to find a way to enjoy the trails together or we all risk losing access.

With that being said, how about some more photos and reports? I'm sure Steve wasn't the only one that took picutres or captured video. :D
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:55 am

Chazz Layne wrote:It seems they need to be reminded that these are primarily 4x4 trails, not dirt bike tracks, and they are allowed there as our guests. Enough complaints to the USFS and they will loose access just like they have everywhere else (because of poor behavior).
I don't want to dismiss the possibility that there are some riders and wheelers that could use some modification to their technique. But, it seems a bit odd for offroad groups to begin flinging at each other and claiming exclusive rights to what are multi-use public lands and trails.
A few years ago there were debates between backpackers, horsepackers and mountainbikers. All parties were pointing fingers at each other and claiming different safety, trail maintenance and environmental issues. The USFS ended the fight......take a guess at how they did it?
I have no problem sharing these trails with anyone and I'm sure they see us as a slow, cumbersome nuisance on "their trails". Sometimes it's just a matter of perspective and barring any real safety issues, a bit of tolerance goes a long way in ensuring we all have places to do our thing.
Randy
K6ARW

shuly
Call Sign: KJ6NAT

Post by shuly » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:30 pm

sdnative wrote:The motorcycle group was part of this event:

http://www.bigbeartrailriders.com/conte ... _id=170496

I am in the process of writing an email complaint to Mr. Burgi. The behaviour of some of the riders was not only unsafe, but dangerous and reckless. There were several near-misses with the bikes and bystanders (especially the kids) and trucks. Not to mention the dirt and rocks flung in the direction of people/trucks by the spinning rear tires.
The one jerk at Gold Mtn did end up dinging my front fender in two places. GRR!!! I had originally thought it was just going to take touch up paint. When I got home I took off the dust and there are two dings because of the rocks that the jerk threw. Why couldn't he have thrown rocks where the plastic fender flares go...then it wouldn't be noticeable when I put them back on. It is a shame that these people were so wreckless and rude. I think that because this was a special event w such a large group that things were not the norm. I have met plenty of biker on trails and have never ever seen such a rude group. However, there were a handful that were courteous. I even had a few "thank yous" (~1 in 10) for trying to give them some room.

On positive note...Thank you Eric and Steve for the excellent spotting! :)
[b]2007 Limited V8 (Nautical Blue) KJ6NAT[/b]| Front: Downey Coilovers | Rear: OME 896 (w/NitroSport) | Total Chaos UCAs | All Pro Rear LCAs | DO Hybrid Rock Rails | Skids : BudBuilt | Bullbar : Shrockworks | Winch : Warn 9.5XP Amsteel Line | Lights : PIAA 580s | Tires : 275/70 Duratrac on 18" Stock Wheels | BajaRack | Audio : VaisTech Video iPOD Kit | Yaesu 350AR w/ Diamond NR770HB

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:45 pm

xtatik wrote: ...multi-use public lands and trails. I have no problem sharing these trails with anyone...
Well said. I'm all for multi-use, as I'm sure just about everyone here is as well. If this had been another 4X4 group I think we'd still have an issue. Sometimes folks just need a friendly reminder on trail-etiquette.

I hope that any messages sent to the organizers of the bike event were cordial.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

shuly
Call Sign: KJ6NAT

Post by shuly » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:19 pm

Hmm...just realized there are no pics yet of Big Dave's 4runner on the obstacle :lol:
[b]2007 Limited V8 (Nautical Blue) KJ6NAT[/b]| Front: Downey Coilovers | Rear: OME 896 (w/NitroSport) | Total Chaos UCAs | All Pro Rear LCAs | DO Hybrid Rock Rails | Skids : BudBuilt | Bullbar : Shrockworks | Winch : Warn 9.5XP Amsteel Line | Lights : PIAA 580s | Tires : 275/70 Duratrac on 18" Stock Wheels | BajaRack | Audio : VaisTech Video iPOD Kit | Yaesu 350AR w/ Diamond NR770HB

BigDave
Call Sign: KI6LYZ

Post by BigDave » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:53 pm

shuly wrote:Hmm...just realized there are no pics yet of Big Dave's 4runner on the obstacle :lol:
If there are not any photos....... It didn't happen!!

Photos tomorrow
Dave

KI6LYZ

"Shootin' trucks and snortin' dust"

Return to “2011 SummerFest & Field Day Report”