Installed my HAM radio

Share your communications gear installations here.
sdnative

Re: Installed my HAM radio

Post by sdnative » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Sorry to continue the hijack, but does anyone know if there is a way to put in some gps coordinates and get an elevation / obstruction profile between the two points? I have seen Dave or Hector put up some cool plots, but I dont know where they came from. I mean, with the technology available, it would seems relatively easy to use topographic information to create these profiles. Probably get pretty complex as well...

Something like this:

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:06 pm

sdnative wrote:Sorry to continue the hijack, but does anyone know if there is a way to put in some gps coordinates and get an elevation / obstruction profile between the two points? I have seen Dave or Hector put up some cool plots, but I dont know where they came from. I mean, with the technology available, it would seems relatively easy to use topographic information to create these profiles. Probably get pretty complex as well...

Something like this:
Yes the capability is there the elevation profiles are created by using the Space Shuttle Radar Topographic profiles and here is the best part it is all free. It is still a little difficult to do and requires quite a bit of reading and trial and error to figure out. The profiles I posted were generated by a software package called Radio Mobile. It is worth an internet search to do.

I would never be able to explain how to do it on the forum, but if you go through the process enough, you will be able to comeup with a pretty good theoretical profile.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:04 pm

sdnative wrote:Sorry to continue the hijack, but does anyone know if there is a way to put in some gps coordinates and get an elevation / obstruction profile between the two points? I have seen Dave or Hector put up some cool plots, but I dont know where they came from. I mean, with the technology available, it would seems relatively easy to use topographic information to create these profiles. Probably get pretty complex as well...

Something like this:
Eric,

If you are using TOPO 4.0 then all you need are the GPS coordinates and click elvation profile. I'm almost cetain tat's what DaveK uses. I use it when we have events to find out what repeaters should work from different areas.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

BruisedFJ
Call Sign: KV6WTF

Post by BruisedFJ » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:13 pm

NotAMog wrote:Keller Peak is reachable from the North. You just a 15.8dbi Yagi pointed in the right direction, live at 4000 feet, and make sure your path is relatively clear of obstructions.
Sweet! A yagi would look awesome on my FJ. I'd be the coolest kid on the block. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stoddard (Bruised FJ)
KV6WTF

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:45 pm

bruisedFJ wrote:
NotAMog wrote:Keller Peak is reachable from the North. You just a 15.8dbi Yagi pointed in the right direction, live at 4000 feet, and make sure your path is relatively clear of obstructions.
Sweet! A yagi would look awesome on my FJ. I'd be the coolest kid on the block. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So, if you don't put the antenna on your rig, does that make your FJ "Yagi Bare" ? :P

(Hey, hey, Boo Boo... :lol: )

Sorry - a little off-road forest humor - very little, in fact.. :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT INSTALLATION”