Installed my HAM radio

Share your communications gear installations here.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Re: Installed my HAM radio

Post by OLLIE » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:13 pm

Great install Mike. Exactly how mine is installed now. I have my 8800 head unit under the driver's seat and the 857 head unit under the passenger's seat. Works great. Should give you several years of great use. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

FunJunkie

Post by FunJunkie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:45 am

actually i didn't want to penetrate the floor so I bougt short screws and just mounted it to the floor liner. I figured the soft fiber under the plastic floor would dampen the vibration enough. If i am wrong please speak up. BTW I am passing the practice tests at 80% and above now. yaya time to do it for realz

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:41 am

Way to go on the practise tests! Good luck on the real thing!
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:31 pm

FunJunkie wrote:actually i didn't want to penetrate the floor so I bougt short screws and just mounted it to the floor liner. I figured the soft fiber under the plastic floor would dampen the vibration enough. If i am wrong please speak up. BTW I am passing the practice tests at 80% and above now. yaya time to do it for realz
The problem with not mounting it to the floor is that the unit will bounce around more - the unit will move with the car when bolted through, but will just wiggle around constantly when indirectly mounted - more chance to create problems long term...

80% on the practice tests ??? Great - what are you waiting for ? Go take the real deal !!! :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
FunJunkie wrote:actually i didn't want to penetrate the floor so I bougt short screws and just mounted it to the floor liner. I figured the soft fiber under the plastic floor would dampen the vibration enough. If i am wrong please speak up. BTW I am passing the practice tests at 80% and above now. yaya time to do it for realz
The problem with not mounting it to the floor is that the unit will bounce around more - the unit will move with the car when bolted through, but will just wiggle around constantly when indirectly mounted - more chance to create problems long term...

80% on the practice tests ??? Great - what are you waiting for ? Go take the real deal !!! :mrgreen:
What he said...

On both topics... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

BruisedFJ
Call Sign: KV6WTF

Post by BruisedFJ » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Here's my install of the same ham unit. Larry from Dirty Parts did the work, originally mounting the face plate on top of the dash at my suggestion. But after seeing Funjunkie's pics and needing to find a place for the external speaker, I moved the face plate to Funjunkie's spot and put the speaker on the dash.

I cut a piece of 2" wide steel and painted it for Larry to use as an antenae mount. The roof rack would have created interference if the antenae was mounted to the roof.

Thanks to Larry for tons of help and Ollie for making the radio available to me for purchase. The unit performed great on Mojave Road and for the first part of the 1-15-09 net on extraction equipment. After I came North over the hill into the San Fernando Valley, the volume was so low and transmission full of static that I couldn't discern much of the net. Looking forward to listening to the rest of it on this website.
Stoddard (Bruised FJ)
KV6WTF

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:28 pm

Glad to see the radio performed well during your trip over the Mojave Trail...

I have the same problem with reception of the net. I hope that soon a link can be arranged with a more northward repeater so that those of us in North Los Angeles county can listen to and participate on the nets...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Nice install Jon. Glad I could help with the radio.

[quote="bruised After I came North over the hill into the San Fernando Valley, the volume was so low and transmission full of static that I couldn't discern much of the net. Looking forward to listening to the rest of it on this website.[/quote]

Check out echolink. Some people have a lot of luck with it and others don't. You can participate in the nets via your computer.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

Hardluck
Call Sign: KI6NOK

Post by Hardluck » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:06 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:Glad to see the radio performed well during your trip over the Mojave Trail...

I have the same problem with reception of the net. I hope that soon a link can be arranged with a more northward repeater so that those of us in North Los Angeles county can listen to and participate on the nets...
That would be great if we could link to a northward repeater. I can only catch a portion of the net when I leave downtown LA. Once near the 5/118 interchange I get to much interference, and of course no reception in Simi Valley.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:49 pm

Keller Peak is reachable from the North. You just a 15.8dbi Yagi pointed in the right direction, live at 4000 feet, and make sure your path is relatively clear of obstructions. :mrgreen:

To reach Keller from my location I'm shooting at a ridge full of wind turbines which is at least 1000 feet higher than my antenna. Fortunately I'm getting enough knife edge refraction over the ridge and a clear path from there to Keller to make it into the machine.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

Return to “COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT INSTALLATION”