Generators

Share your communications gear installations here.
Dennis David

Generators

Post by Dennis David » Thu May 13, 2010 7:31 am

I've been looking at generators to top up batteries and provide lights for emergency operation and was wondering what other people were using like type and size of generator and charger. I'm not looking to power the whole house. Just computers, TV, Lights, Internet, Radios and a portable fridge. Something I could take on the road as well. I'm not interested in the small Honda generators because they seem too expensive for their small size.
Dennis David

sdnative

Re: Generators

Post by sdnative » Thu May 13, 2010 9:53 am

delete
Last edited by sdnative on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dennis David

Post by Dennis David » Thu May 13, 2010 7:17 pm

No, and a Nuclear power station would be out of the question as well. :roll: This would spend most of it's time on my balcony.
Dennis David

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Thu May 13, 2010 11:00 pm

Dennis David wrote:No, and a Nuclear power station would be out of the question as well. :roll: This would spend most of it's time on my balcony.
General concensus is the Honda or new Yamaha inverter models are da kine.
Last edited by xtatik on Fri May 14, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy
K6ARW

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Post by salad_man » Fri May 14, 2010 1:43 am

yamaha generators are very nice, and worth the money
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

Dennis David

Post by Dennis David » Fri May 14, 2010 6:47 am

But why spend $1400 on a 2,000 Watt invertor http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/pro ... /home.aspx when I can buy this (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _8771_8771 for the same price and double the wattage?
Dennis David

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Fri May 14, 2010 9:06 am

Dennis David wrote:But why spend $1400 on a 2,000 Watt invertor http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/pro ... /home.aspx when I can buy this (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _8771_8771 for the same price and double the wattage?
Well, cuz you said you were looking for something more compact, that would power some simple household items and that could be taken on the road. Another reason these units are becoming more popular is because they are much quieter. The one you linked would likely P/off your neighbors if run for an extended period of time and would be completely inappropriate in a campground situation due to excessive noise.
Another reason would be the inverted power. The inverter models produce cleaner sine wave power which is much easier on sensitive electronics like computers and ham radios.
Last edited by xtatik on Fri May 14, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy
K6ARW

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Fri May 14, 2010 9:21 am

Generators have come a long way lately. The newer generation have combined very quiet operation with the ability to have a top drawer true sine wave inverter. If you went out and bought just a true sine wave inverter these days (depending on the power level) you could easily spend over $500.00, (http://www.valencemarine.com/STATPOWER- ... _4207.html ). The size has also become more compact as well.

As Randy mentioned, one of the first people to appreciate the newer generators will be your neighbors at camp.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri May 14, 2010 11:41 am

Dennis David wrote:But why spend $1400 on a 2,000 Watt invertor http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/pro ... /home.aspx when I can buy this (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _8771_8771 for the same price and double the wattage?
This question can be asked about any product line for which several levels of components are sold - Why buy a 35w HID light, when you can get a 100w halogen for 1/5 the price ?

The reason is you will usually get a part that is manufactured of better materials, has more functionality, and is longer lasting / easier to implement / etc...such is the case with portable generators...Honda and Yamaha generators have gained reputations for being very fuel efficient, very reliable, compact, and extremely quiet, when compared to units from much of their competition. This offers tremendous advantages when you need to use them in the field near other folks - transports easier, requires less fuel for the job, more likely to complete the task, and less likely to annoy the "neighbors"... :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Post by DennisDawg » Fri May 14, 2010 5:31 pm

DaveK wrote:As Randy mentioned, one of the first people to appreciate the newer generators will be your neighbors at camp.
I know for the radio stuff folks need their generators and there is a place for that, but in most situations, in camp, where there are others, in my opinion generators are more than annoying. It is one of the reasons I tend to avoid camp ground type camping with the RVs and the folks who bring too much everything. The noise ruins it.

A bunch of years ago we camped at a State Beach, in our little tent and all, one I had enjoyed but was slowly getting worse with folks being as folks can be. This giant RV pulls in, set up tons of junk all over the camp space and the beach, then runs the generator so he can get his TV going so he can watch a game! Why did he come out to camp? I am sure his home TV was better as would have been a bar in town.

Better to go off in the wilds a bit and try to avoid that, for me . . . not judging but . . . well, there you go. Generators made some types of camping a lot less fun.
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

Return to “COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT INSTALLATION”