Generators

Share your communications gear installations here.
xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Re: Generators

Post by xtatik » Fri May 14, 2010 6:17 pm

DennisDawg wrote:
DaveK wrote:As Randy mentioned, one of the first people to appreciate the newer generators will be your neighbors at camp.
I know for the radio stuff folks need their generators and there is a place for that, but in most situations, in camp, where there are others, in my opinion generators are more than annoying. It is one of the reasons I tend to avoid camp ground type camping with the RVs and the folks who bring too much everything. The noise ruins it.

A bunch of years ago we camped at a State Beach, in our little tent and all, one I had enjoyed but was slowly getting worse with folks being as folks can be. This giant RV pulls in, set up tons of junk all over the camp space and the beach, then runs the generator so he can get his TV going so he can watch a game! Why did he come out to camp? I am sure his home TV was better as would have been a bar in town.

Better to go off in the wilds a bit and try to avoid that, for me . . . not judging but . . . well, there you go. Generators made some types of camping a lot less fun.
Most of the gennies found on motor homes are more akin to the contractor models than the newer inverter models. And yes, they are annoying and make a lot of noise. The newer inverter models, if placed just outside camp, can barely be heard. I've heard loudmouths around a campfire hit decibel levels these generators could never generate even under full loads. There are many issues concerning conduct and appropriateness of place while camping. The appropriate use of gennies, which can have a lot to do with timing, is just one issue.
Randy
K6ARW

Dennis David

Post by Dennis David » Fri May 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I'll get one of the Yamaha models in that case.
Dennis David

DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Post by DennisDawg » Fri May 14, 2010 7:38 pm

I have been around generators on RVs, as in the story above, and those little ones folks bring. I was on a trip one time where a guy had one to power a pretty big flat screen he set up in his shell and to power is espresso maker! He had a ton of gear, loaded his rig to where there was no travel in back! It then wheeled badly. Hardly seemed like camping, took forever for him to pack his huge amount of gear in the morning and the little generator was annoying all the time it ran.

Like I said I get the logic of why people bring them and for some hobbies it can be unavoidable. However, if there is only other person in the campground who is camping without appliances, the generators should be left off until he leaves, in my opinion. They have their place, I suppose, but not many of them and nearly none where the road turns to dirt.

Me, like I said, I tend to camp away from others . . . the farther the better. I cannot always do that, but I try. The last few years I have gotten to where I go lighter and lighter, with less stuff. When it is just me, it is mostly the truck’s stuff and then my backpack stuff.

That said, for use around the house, especially in an emergency, I can totally see the value or a generator. That is what the Original Poster was talking about I think, if I remember right. Just getting my 2 cents in on camping with noisy things and the people who own them.
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

Dennis David

Post by Dennis David » Fri May 14, 2010 8:22 pm

People don't need a generator to be noisy. My main purpose would be to keep the fridge cold and the radio working. I would only use it to top of the battery. So that leads me to my next question. Batteries and automatic chargers so I can run my radios on battery (emergency power).
Dennis David

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed May 19, 2010 9:03 am

Dennis David wrote:People don't need a generator to be noisy. My main purpose would be to keep the fridge cold and the radio working. I would only use it to top of the battery. So that leads me to my next question. Batteries and automatic chargers so I can run my radios on battery (emergency power).
For that purpose I would go with solar or wind generation because gennies require fuel.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Dennis David

Post by Dennis David » Wed May 19, 2010 11:57 am

Unfortunately I don't get much sun from my balcony and the wind is not that strong either. Is there a way for me to personally evaluate the feasibility of a solar panel from a particular location?
Dennis David

jgorm

Post by jgorm » Thu May 20, 2010 12:09 pm

OLLIE wrote: For that purpose I would go with solar or wind generation because gennies require fuel.
+1. I will never ever bring a generator camping. Just not my style. I'm not a "green hippie" either, pretty much the opposite, but they piss me off. I would much rather have some guys talking loud than a cheap ass generator buzzing away. The less you spend, the louder they are. The honda eu2000 is the one i would get if i wanted one, and if i come across a used one for cheap i'll buy it for back up power at the house. My truck camper fridge runs on propane and my plan is to put up a 65w solar panel on my camper. Solar is a bit more work but about the same cost as a quality generator. I have 215AH of capacity and can run without solar or any charging for at least 4 days, 3 days if its below 30F and WAY longer if i never need to run the heater. I can't help but laugh at the motor homers watching TV, eating, and spending most of their time in there. Why no just stay in the driveway? I go camping to be outside, and sleep in my camper. Sure its a huge 11.5' cab over with a stove, heater, shower, etc, but its more of a glorified tent to me.

Return to “COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT INSTALLATION”