FT-8800 in JK install

Share your communications gear installations here.
Willie H
Call Sign: KJ6HEJ

FT-8800 in JK install

Post by Willie H » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:28 pm

Ok, hitting HRO first thing in the morning and picking up a 8800. Does anyone have any last minute advice?

Before I get started installing I would like to get some opinions on what to plan for this. Fist off, since it's going into a soft top only Wrangler I would like to be able to remove the whole unit quickly and use as a portable shack or safe storage.

What do I need at a minimum for a portable shack? My thoughts are I can run it from a distance from the battery in the jeep and use an extended coax for the antenna. How is a solar cell trickle charger for keeping the battery fresh? For antenna use I have the one mounted on the rack, but I am also working a mast set up for campsites. That one will be collapsable for transport, and erectable from one of the supports on the rack. I already have a portable mast, it's not the best ever, but it is in it's R&D phase. lol

Thanks Guys.

Here is what I would like to use for the portable shack.
Attachments
IMG_9308.JPG
IMG_9308.JPG (4.36 MiB) Viewed 4826 times
IMG_9307.JPG
IMG_9307.JPG (3.5 MiB) Viewed 4826 times
KJ6HEJ
"So...Is this a response to a failed government"
FJ

sdnative

Re: FT-8800 in JK install

Post by sdnative » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:48 am

Pick up a repeater directory if you dont already have one

Willie H

Post by Willie H » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:49 am

Well, I'm at HRO.
KJ6HEJ
FJ

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:54 am

Willie

You might want to look at the radio installations on the various rigs at field day. Everybody has a little different take on what is best and some of these ideas may help in your case. Even if you only visit for a day, this could give you a good start.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:38 pm

WillieH, I don't suggest running extended length coax or power cables for your radio to use as a portable. Both will reduce the effective output of the radio; extended power cables will reduce the current available to run the radio, reducing it's output power. Extending the coax could negatively affect the SWR, and as a result, the effective output of the radio. In general, long power or antenna wire runs should be avoided if possible (unless your power levels are high enough to deal with it).
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Willie H

Post by Willie H » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:26 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:WillieH, I don't suggest running extended length coax or power cables for your radio to use as a portable. Both will reduce the effective output of the radio; extended power cables will reduce the current available to run the radio, reducing it's output power. Extending the coax could negatively affect the SWR, and as a result, the effective output of the radio. In general, long power or antenna wire runs should be avoided if possible (unless your power levels are high enough to deal with it).
Would a 12v battery and solar charger be a better to power the radio?

I have a 25 foot section of RG58 I have been using with my home made backpacking antenna. It is based on the DBJ1. I have not transmitted on the DBJ1 yet because it has not been on an analyzer yet. It's only been used for Rx and mock-ups to test my mast project. The mast is portable and about 18' tall, and is made up of a Christmas tree stand (base), back yard umbrella (lower section), and 5' sections of PVC.

I am hoping there will be time at Summerfest to get that one, and a couple other antennas tuned. I really need to invest in a tuner.

On another note. The 8800 is wired up and working great. It's on a temporary mount so I can move it around and try out different locations with out having to drill a bunch of holes inside the jeep.
KJ6HEJ
FJ

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:41 pm

I think you could power the radio from the vehicle, just a shorter run...keep the radio near the vehicle, and run the antenna cable for the extended length...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:28 am

Just use an online voltage drop calculator to figure out how much voltage you'll lose based on the wire gauge, length, current, etc. Here's one:

http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm

You can use a ballpark of 8.5A current @ 50W transmit power on 2m for the FT-8800. Figure 12.6V source from just the battery or 13.8V if the vehicle is running. You'll want a minimum of 12V at the radio.

The radio comes with a 20 foot, 14 gauge DC power cord already, and if you need to go further than that, you'll have to use a larger gauge cable.

Return to “COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT INSTALLATION”