ftm-350 install questions

Share your communications gear installations here.
smslavin
Call Sign: KJ6LDF

ftm-350 install questions

Post by smslavin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:11 pm

HRO is having a sale and I got the okay to pick up the 350. This is my first major electrical project to the FJ and I'm a little dazed and confused. I'm thinking that the main unit should go under the passenger seat. I'd like to put the face plate in the headliner just in front of the rear view mirror. I'm going to attach the antenna to the passenger front of the rack since my CB antenna is on the driver rear.

If the radio is under the seat, how concerned should I be about flooding? Is there a better place to put it that's out of the way? What's the best way to attach it to the floor?

I have most of the parts for an aux fuse block but it isn't installed as I haven't been able to get a dual battery kit yet. What do I need to get power to the radio directly from the battery instead of the stock fuse block? I'm unsure of how to connect the supplied Yaesu power cable to the battery. If the unit is on the passenger side, is there way to get from there to the battery? Can you get through the firewall on that side?

Any ideas on mounting the faceplate? I was thinking of picking up the Yaesu dashboard suction mount and then trying something similar to this. Yay or nay?

I'm thinking of trying to tackle this tomorrow as I'll have most of the dash open to hard wire my GPS. Any input would be most appreciated.
{ slavin photography | KJ6LDF }

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: ftm-350 install questions

Post by DaveK » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:38 pm

First off - congrats on your purchase.

I can't offer any FJ specific advice, but I can make a few general comments.

1. Your path to power should be directly to the battery, not to a fuse block. The Anderson Power Pole is a good way to accomplish this, but you will need additional time and equipment to make it work. If you foresee several other accessories needing a direct path to the battery, you might as well bite the bullet now, especially if you have everything already apart.

2. We all know that you should not operate your electronics while driving, but there will be a continuing need for you to view the screen while driving and the less you have to take your eyes off the road, the better. Make the location one which requires the least eye movement, from the road, in order to view the screen. Be careful of California regulations on window mounting as there are restrictions.

3. I am not aware of any of our members who have experienced flooding problems for floor mounted radios. I suppose it all depends on how aggressive you plan on driving. I suspect that by the time water starts flooding the interior of your cab, the radio may be the least of your problems.

4. You may want to consider another location for the antenna, other then the rack. It will work, but it is not ideal.

Your timing is wonderful. Tonight's net will cover the topic of dual batteries and other electrical upgrades.

Good luck!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Willie H
Call Sign: KJ6HEJ

Post by Willie H » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:27 pm

I'm off tomorrow if you want some help.

I'm not sure about the 350's main unit, but an 8800 fits under the plastic behind the right wheel well. Mine is under the seat right now though, only because i have not gotten longer power wires. I think a lot of FJ's are running them there and it is pretty safe. I am going to move mine because of vents down there... I gotta make sure the little one stays warm in the back.
KJ6HEJ
"So...Is this a response to a failed government"
FJ

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:15 pm

I mounted mine to the bottom of the seat to keep it off the floor and to prevent having to put holes in the floor.

So I just took out the passenger seat and moved some of the wiring harnesses to the top of the flat metal bar under the seat and then reinstalled it! Power is run in the passenger side door frame track I mounted a 7 circuit fuseblock behind the passenger side kick panel wired to the 2nd battery on the passenger side wheel well. There are a few rubber plugs where you can pass wiring from the engine bay to the passenger compartment.

I highly recommend the Dirty Parts FJ dual battery kit. Check with Cruiserlarry. The dirtyparts website is still a work in progress.

I would look to avoid the suction cup mount, with altitude or temperature changes the faceplate falls which caused a nasty scratch on my faceplate when mine was very new. There is supposed to be a multi mount kit for the yaesu ft-10r that allows for a more secure faceplate install, however I have not done so, yet.

smslavin

Post by smslavin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:44 am

DaveK wrote:1. Your path to power should be directly to the battery, not to a fuse block. The Anderson Power Pole is a good way to accomplish this, but you will need additional time and equipment to make it work. If you foresee several other accessories needing a direct path to the battery, you might as well bite the bullet now, especially if you have everything already apart.
You mean these?

I believe the radio will be the only item needing a direct connect to the battery. Everything else I want to do can be routed through the aux fuse block (once I get it installed).

[quote=""DaveK"]2. We all know that you should not operate your electronics while driving, but there will be a continuing need for you to view the screen while driving and the less you have to take your eyes off the road, the better. Make the location one which requires the least eye movement, from the road, in order to view the screen. Be careful of California regulations on window mounting as there are restrictions.[/quote]

I don't want to mount it from the window. I'd like to attach it directly to the headliner. There's plenty of room and it'll be the same eye movement as when I check the rear view mirror. I did get the GPS cable extension so the unit will have a clear view.
DaveK wrote:3. I am not aware of any of our members who have experienced flooding problems for floor mounted radios. I suppose it all depends on how aggressive you plan on driving. I suspect that by the time water starts flooding the interior of your cab, the radio may be the least of your problems.
I don't expect myself to be doing an major water crossings, but you never know.
DaveK wrote:4. You may want to consider another location for the antenna, other then the rack. It will work, but it is not ideal.
Why? I picked up a Diamond K540 mount and a NR770 antenna. The guy at HRO said it was a perfect antenna for rack mounting.
Willie H wrote:I'm off tomorrow if you want some help.
Thanks for the offer. I'm now on daddy duty for most of the day so this going to have to wait another couple of days.
hmfigueroa wrote:I mounted mine to the bottom of the seat to keep it off the floor and to prevent having to put holes in the floor.
That's a great idea. Did you use the provided mounting bracket or come up with something else?
hmfigueroa wrote:I highly recommend the Dirty Parts FJ dual battery kit.
That's the one on my list.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Sean:

1. Regarding the roof rack mount, the advice from the guy at HRO was probably correct, in that the Diamond K540 is the best mount for a roof rack. As I mentioned, that will work, but in terms of efficiency, it is not ideal. If it's not too late, you should check out Alan Applegate's website for mobile amateur radio operation, and in particular the section devoted to VHF operation, see http://www.k0bg.com/options.html. He has a several suggestions on mounting, antenna selection, and connecting hardware, which will help you to get the most from your radio. Alan is a tremendously helpful guy and will respond to your emails, if you have questions.

2. Those power pole connectors are the ones I was referring to. Applegate also discusses the use of these components, see http://www.k0bg.com/protection.html.

3. On your headliner mount, my only concern would be that you get something more secure than the headliner itself to hold the mount for the faceplate. When I had the "guys" at the dealership install an item to my headliner, they forgot that the soft material up there just wasn't up to the task of holding the electronics in place when the road got rough. I believe it was in Fish Canyon in Anza Borrego when it finally gave way.

Good luck!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:22 am

Anderson PowerPoles are the coolest thing to happen to electronics since copper wire. I use them exclusively for all new connections, and have been slowly converting the old stuff over too. :mrgreen:

I've never had any trouble with flooding, but then I check my doors for water-tightness yearly (along with everything else below the window-line).

On the headliner, its tricky but if you have to have it up there you could do a thin/wide sheet of aluminum folded to shape to help spread the load. Metals Depot has great prices, carries the thin stuff, and will do small orders (single piece). We did the same thing in our Ranger, and it's held up great. Also, while you're in there it's a good time to add map lights if you don't have any (or if they are crap, like in our Disco).
Chazz Laynedotcom

smslavin

Post by smslavin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:12 pm

I had a few hours this afternoon and started on installing my FTM-350. I got a lot of it done but then got stuck. Need some input from the FJ folks. The antennae (Diamond NR-770) is going to be mounted to my BajaRack in the driver's side front corner.

How do I get the cable from there into the cabin? Is it possible without drilling a hole?

The main radio unit is going to be mounted from the underside of the driver's seat. I got the wires run, just need to make a Home Depot run for some larger washers and maybe some kind of bracket. I plan on using the existing mount that came with the radio so if you have ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I epoxied a piece of 2x4 to the roof. I need to go pick up a mount for the faceplate but I put all the cables up there already.

When I get the mount, it should look something like this.

For the GPS receiver, I'm thinking about using some double sided tape and putting on the dash pod. What's the best way to get the dash off to route the wire?

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:33 pm

It's possible to run your coax down into your cabin through your door. I did it with my Garmin external antenna puck. The dash is going to be a bit trickier. Are you ok with drilling a hole in your dash?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

smslavin

Post by smslavin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Through the door? How's that work? Right now, I think I'm going to remove the outer A-pillar piece and run it down through there. Is that what you mean?

Yea, I'm okay drilling a hole in the dash. Already figured that's what I'd have to do. If I pull out the glove box and the radio, is there enough room to reach my hands in to pull the wire? Where could I find a rubber grommet so it isn't just a gaping hole?

Return to “COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT INSTALLATION”