Dual Diamond K9000 Mount Installation

Share your communications gear installations here.
NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Dual Diamond K9000 Mount Installation

Post by NotAMog » Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Here are some pictures of the dual Diamond K9000 motor drive mount installation on my Pinzgauer. I rewired both mounts to operate from a single DPDT Momentary Center Off switch mounted in a custom overhead console. Both antennas may be quickly lowered to clear overhead obstacles by hitting a single switch. This is important in the Pinzgaer as it's already over 7' tall without the antennas and in some areas I've run into lots of overhanging branches which most Jeeps clear. The center mounted antenna is a 2m 70cm dual band and the white antenna mounted just behind the drivers door is the obligatory "11m" antenna. The mount powered by 12 volt power provided by a 24 volt to 12 volt DC to DC converter.

The K9000 mount may be mounted directly to any flat surface utilizing the 4 screws in the bottom of the motor drive unit. I used an aluminum plate in place of the large antenna mount standard on most Swiss army Pinzgauers. The NMO mount and feed line is the one recommended by Diamond for use with the K9000.

For the CB antenna I used 1/2 of the K9000 roof rack clamp mounted directly to the front roll bar. This same set up could be used on any vertical or angled surface. I improvised my own 3/8" thread mount with some extra CB antenna mount parts I had laying around.

I haven't done any serious off roading with this set up yet but so far it's held up with no problems.

The single switch to the left of the switch plate controls the K9000 antenna mounts.

Antennas up.

Antennas down.

Close up of center mounted dual band antenna raised.

Close up of center mounted dual band antenna lowered.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Re: Dual Diamond K9000 Mount Installation

Post by OLLIE » Thu May 29, 2008 10:58 pm

This is awsome... TIme to upgrade the "BugEater" AGAIN. I get tired of removing antennas every day.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri May 30, 2008 12:46 am

Wow, I like that antenna mount system.

I can't even count how many antennas I've replaced after forgetting to fold them down on the trail.

With both antennas moving at the same time, the Pinz must look like an excited insect on the trail :mrgreen: :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

NotAMog
Global Moderator

Post by NotAMog » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:23 pm

It kind of sounds like one too with the motors churning away. :D
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:12 pm

I just bought one of these for the BugEater. We'll see how it goes. :D
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:15 pm

Ollie (K6JYB) wrote:I just bought one of these for the BugEater. We'll see how it goes. :D
Did you get a rack mount, or door lip mount ??
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:49 am

cruiserlarry wrote: Did you get a rack mount, or door lip mount ??
This was the tough decision. I was thinking I had a whole lot of fabbing ahead of me again but that changed once I started talking to the HRO staff. I bought the trunk lid mount and I'll be mounting it centerline on my lightbar between the two center PIAAs. The bar is 1/8" thick SS so the trunk mount should work great.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

Hardluck
Call Sign: KI6NOK

Post by Hardluck » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:28 am

Ollie (K6JYB) wrote:
cruiserlarry wrote: Did you get a rack mount, or door lip mount ??
This was the tough decision. I was thinking I had a whole lot of fabbing ahead of me again but that changed once I started talking to the HRO staff. I bought the trunk lid mount and I'll be mounting it centerline on my lightbar between the two center PIAAs. The bar is 1/8" thick SS so the trunk mount should work great.
I'm in the process of installing this mount. I'm going to remove the rack mount that comes with it and attach the mount directly to the floor in the front of my arb roof rack. Just have to be careful not to use too long of bolts or it will interfere with the motor. Originally, I was going to mount it centerline but after loading camping gear on the roof rack last week, I may mount it offset on the driver's side to protect against damage during loading and unloading (I'll just load the front of the roof rack from the passanger side).

Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work today, so no progress for me.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:07 pm

NotAMog wrote: Image

The single switch to the left of the switch plate controls the K9000 antenna mounts.
Did you use an "on/off/on" momentary switch for this or is it just an "on/off" switch. It would seem yhat you would require the momentary switch.

BTW... thanks again for this thread because you've saved me a lot of turmoil everyday removing my daily antenna.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

NotAMog
Global Moderator

Post by NotAMog » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:15 pm

I used a DPDT center off momentary switch from my local Radio Shack. The wiring is pretty simple. The wires to the mount motor connect to the center terminals on the switch. The power goes to the outer terminals hooked up so that positive and negative to the center terminals are reversed depending on which way the switch is pushed. The DPDT center off momentary switch mimics the function of the supplied switch.

I would like to replace the switch with one which uses metal threads for mounting. You need to be careful not to over tighten the plastic threads on the Radio Shack switch.

I'm glad that you found the posting helpful.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i

Return to “COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT INSTALLATION”